• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next 3 games

rowe23

Youth Team⭐
Looking at the fixture list it was always going to be a big month for us and our survival changes, I’m pleased our form has turned the corner, however with the next 3 games in Mansfield, Bradford and Port Vale I can’t but help think we need a minimum of 4 points out these games to keep in touch and still give ourselves a chance to survive.

The worry is and as shown in last nights game we need to start being more clinical in front of goal as we are creating a lot more chances in a game but our conversion rate is very low.

I would be interested to see others people’s opinions and thoughts on the next 3 games and if you feel the same in that these next 3 games could really prove crucial for our future.

Having got nowt yesterday I would have thought six points were a minimum from the three games. Tough to achieve but we must not lose touch with those other strugglers. We have given ourselves a chance of avoiding the drop. Can be no let up now.

All teams are beatable in this league! Mansfield and bradford are no great shakes and we should be taking 6 points.If it wasnt for mansfields bog of a pitch and macca getting knackerd we would have won at there place and bradford are very poor! If we actually start with ANG,taylor and smith we have more then enough to get the job done.

All teams are beatable in this league! Mansfield and bradford are no great shakes and we should be taking 6 points.If it wasnt for mansfields bog of a pitch and macca getting knackerd we would have won at there place and bradford are very poor! If we actually start with ANG,taylor and smith we have more then enough to get the job done.

Smith?

I am not convinced we will get anything out of the Mansfield game. They have good players and I saw their poor early season form as a blip. Port Vale I would be disappointed not to beat. Bradford I am a bit wary of as they've had a good run and are coming off a decent rest d/t postponements. Not sure what to make of that match at all.

Have you looked or are you aware of their form? or are you still looking at the league table in November? Both are unbeaten in their last 5. Mansfield are on a 4 game winning streak and Bradford have won 3 of their last 5. Both teams have been resurgent since a change in manager after poor starts. I would take 3 points right now from the two games and probably from Bradford being the most likely. Then a point from Port Vale, 22nd at the end of the season will do me.

Last edited:
Have you looked or are you aware of their form? or are you still looking at the league table in November? Both are unbeaten in their last 5. Mansfield are on a 4 game winning streak and Bradford have won 3 of their last 5. Both teams have been resurgent since a change in manager after poor starts. I would take 3 points right now from the two games and probably from Bradford being the most likely. Then a point from Port Vale, 22nd at the end of the season will do me.
Ok,But we have also been on a very good run and all because we got beat by the wind last night doesent mean to say we cant beat Mansfield! I think we are better then mansfield that's my opinion.

Form doesn't mean that much though; we had a far better recent home form, than Cambridge's away form and look how that turned out; so let's be positive ?

I believe that we can beat any team in this division, but I also believe that they can beat us. We were very good in the first half against Cambridge but we will not win games if we cannot convert the many chances we create into goals. Confidence has so much to do with winning and our confidence will have taken a knock over the past two games.

Being realistic I cannot see us beating Mansfield. They are coming off the back of four straight wins and their recent signings of Quinn and Lapslie strengthen their squad. So no points there.

Bradford are on a good run and are full of confidence. I hope for a draw but a defeat would not surprise me.

It is unfortunate that we don't play Port Vale earlier because we will beat them and our victory would boost our confidence. As it is we may be adrift at the bottom again by the time we do beat them.

Not negative, just realistic. Come on you Blues!!!

Grimsby and Scunny look to be our salvation if we can only take a few of the chances we are creating.

If anyone is frightened by our next three games, for your health's sake don't look at the fixture list for February! In that short month we have six matches (seven if you add the first Tuesday in March), this includes four 'easy' away games at Newport, Cambridge, Forest Green and Cheltenham! Think it may be an idea to install (after the blip of Cambridge) a Roots Hall fortress mentality. In that respect both Mansfield and Bradford are important tests. Anything less than three points from these two (four would be good) makes Port Vale a must win. In the end I suppose it depends how comfortable you are, sitting on the edge of a precipice. For me, I'm for a quiet life as quickly as possible. The sooner we move towards the safety of mid-table and away from every game being squeeky bum time, the better. In that respect it's probably better to adopt Strykr's philosophy in respect of the following games................."All must wins for me" (I obviously meant 'squeeky' but 'squeelky' fits quite well!)

Last edited:
We need 3 wins from the next 4 games because the following 6 are as tough as we will get. We will then need 3 wins from the following 5 as the last 8 fixtures all look pretty tough at the moment. Those 14 tough fixtures need to produce about 9 or 10 points to get us to safety - 2 wins and 4 draws.

If it's very windy at RH it can make a mockery of form or league positions as we saw tuesday! I
That could work for or against us depending on the opposition. I felt it helped us Tuesday despite the loss and evened up the teams capabilities.

Speaking as someone who tries to cast a critical eye over performances, I must say that I hope MM and his staff are looking at things in a more positive way than some of the posters on here!
For heavens sake we have produced virtually play-off form in the second quarter of the season; 18 points in 12 games relates to a non too shabby 69 points in a season. And contrast that with our pickings from the 11 games preceding this run.....2 points.
Even in our defeat on Tuesday we played like a mid-table side (at worst), and a mid-table side would normally get 30 points in half a season.
That would give us a 50 point total for the season (sound familiar?) - it is the total we survived with 2 years ago in League 1. However then it was 4 teams down, it is only 2 down from League 2.
No doubt there will be bumps along the way, but around 20th is where I expect us to finish.

We need 3 wins from the next 4 games because the following 6 are as tough as we will get. We will then need 3 wins from the following 5 as the last 8 fixtures all look pretty tough at the moment. Those 14 tough fixtures need to produce about 9 or 10 points to get us to safety - 2 wins and 4 draws.

No chance.

If anyone is frightened by our next three games, for your health's sake don't look at the fixture list for February! In that short month we have six matches (seven if you add the first Tuesday in March), this includes four 'easy' away games at Newport, Cambridge, Forest Green and Cheltenham! Think it may be an idea to install (after the blip of Cambridge) a Roots Hall fortress mentality. In that respect both Mansfield and Bradford are important tests. Anything less than three points from these two (four would be good) makes Port Vale a must win. In the end I suppose it depends how comfortable you are, sitting on the edge of a precipice. For me, I'm for a quiet life as quickly as possible. The sooner we move towards the safety of mid-table and away from every game being squeeky bum time, the better. In that respect it's probably better to adopt Strykr's philosophy in respect of the following games................."All must wins for me" (I obviously meant 'squeeky' but 'squeelky' fits quite well!)
We should be able to beat Walsall, and despite Newport's high league position I don't think they are all that good and I can see us maybe getting a win there.

It's the rest of March where I think we could be well positioned to go on a proper run.

Back