• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Frankly the names being banded out just highligh what a lack of top quality English managers there are.

Very true. I just realized that there are only two living English managers who have won a league title - anybody want to give Howard Wilkinson or Ron Saunders the job?

So, we're looking for a manager who is either English or is an Anglophile, with experience in the Premier League, and possibly La Liga and Serie A... A manager who has won European trophies, like the Champions League, Europa Cup and World Club Championship. Needs to have the the type of personality to be able to handle the 'egos' in the English dressing room... Needs to be affordable, (ie: Not under contract with a major PL or European Super Club, so.....

...this equates to;

RAFA BENITEZ :unsure:

There's no current English managers who are good enough to take over. All the best names have just moved or signed to the best clubs... It doesn't matter who you stick in anyway. We've tried the conservative simple experienced man in Hodgeson, we've tried the strict hard faced world beater in Capello, we've tried the less manager more coach approach in McLaren, we've even tried the exotic forieng approach with Sven.. Surely someone has to have add it all up and come to the conclusion that it's not the managers who are the problems.. It's the players, their gutless, they crumble under pressure and even though we have the most exciting competitive league system in world football, we play a style which is the complete opposite to what those players play in, week in week out.

If anyone id try to get Simeone from athletico, but with his past against England and his feelings towards us that will never happen. I'd say Benitez, but his just signed up with Newcastle. I'm out of options and don't know who it will be, really don't have a clue. Whoever it is it doesn't matter, once again were at the start of that two year circle we always go around in...

The list of bookies' favourites really highlights the lack of English managers at the top level. Only five English managers in the Premier League this coming season, and all of them at clubs that you'd expect to be in the bottom half of the table. Don't know whether it's more down to their quality or a 'glass ceiling' for British managers.

I think the manager should be English but for me the only two candidates are Pardew or Allardyce. Hope it's not Southgate as I think he'd be too soft and his one experience of club management was a failure. Howe is too young and needs to manage another Premier League club. Would be good to see a few ex-England players in the coaching setup in the same way that Hodgson had Neville.

Ultimately I don't think it matters that much though, whoever it is will be in the post for 2-4 years and then leave after getting knocked out at a tournament.

Frankly the names being banded out just highligh what a lack of top quality English managers there are.

That's a problem that blights international management across the board, though.

One of the key trends I've picked up - possibly Italy aside - is that most of the countries present aren't managed by the top coach of that nationality. Most of the time, it's not even close. Del Bosque looked tired and past it two years ago and has only gone one way since, Deschamps has had absolute pelters in the French press at times, as has Loew from the German media, and I just had to look up who the Portuguese manager is now as I'd entirely forgotten.

International football's an entirely different game to domestic league management and has far more nuanced approaches. It simply doesn't attract the big(ger) names like it used to.

And you only have to look at the ridicule given to Hodgson - not just in the immediate aftermath of Monday night, but ever since he was appointed over that nobble-kneed charlatan from Sandbanks - to identify why a top manager wouldn't want it.

You could appoint whoever you liked to coach that England side. You could appoint a Guardiola/Mou/Ancelotti menage-a-trois and it'd still come up short because there is simply no consistency, no formula, no identity. Without that, we will never make the desired progress.

And that's why Southgate, on balance and at least on an interim basis, isn't the worst idea the FA have had. He's been at the heart of reforming the English FA and the DNA project, and will be familiar to those players who've come through the U21s in recent years. I certainly don't think he's up to leading us to victory at a major international tournament - at least not at this stage of his career - but he's certainly consistent with the reforms the FA started years ago.

Alan Shearer has said he would throw his name in the hat also.

Better than some of the names being suggested - and at least they would have passion about it.

The disappointing thing is that chief among the credentials Shearer quoted when he put himself forward for the job this week were that he 'couldn't do any worse than his predecessors'. Way to big yourself up Alan!

Shearer would be a rank appointment. By all accounts his take on management is... Traditional.

Steve Bruce has been named somewhere I think. No worse than Allardyce, but maybe if Alladyce got it then Phil could be his number two? Think of the bragging rights there.

Like I say, we just won the World Cup.

Klinsmann's interested...

Klinsmann was sacked by Germany for not being up for it.The build up to the German 2006 world cup,for i think 2 years,he could not beat a top class team,Brazil,Argentina,italy...he wanted to break that "duck" by playing England(top class!!),but he could not get England to play.Even WEEKS before the world cup started..i think it was Beckenbauer thought -said he should be Sacked...they were not that good..and ONLY got to the W:C semi..being beaten ,with much stress,by Italy i think.
He went to BAYERN,done bad,lots of problems and got the sack there..
As for Southgate!!!!...he took a VERY good squad of young and up coming u-21 players to the last EUROS,the best squad for a long time,,,what did he do...came bottom of the group...BOTTOM...another Hodgson...or at least at the moment,maybe in a few years?

English or Overseas manager next for England? Tough old dilemma for the FA I guess. For those of you who were around in the 60s and 70s Malcolm Allison and Joe Mercer turned Man City into an exciting team and clocked up seven trophies in as many years. So a young one mentored by an experienced old one may be the answer?

My bid for that Tandem act would be Eddie Howe and Terry Venables. Neither may fancy it, but there again, you never know. What do you think?

Klinsmann was sacked by Germany for not being up for it.The build up to the German 2006 world cup,for i think 2 years,he could not beat a top class team,Brazil,Argentina,italy...he wanted to break that "duck" by playing England(top class!!),but he could not get England to play.Even WEEKS before the world cup started..i think it was Beckenbauer thought -said he should be Sacked...they were not that good..and ONLY got to the W:C semi..being beaten ,with much stress,by Italy i think.
He went to BAYERN,done bad,lots of problems and got the sack there..
As for Southgate!!!!...he took a VERY good squad of young and up coming u-21 players to the last EUROS,the best squad for a long time,,,what did he do...came bottom of the group...BOTTOM...another Hodgson...or at least at the moment,maybe in a few years?

Jurgen got a very average US team to the semis of the Copa America. The American players certainly buy into his system and it gets results. They are not an entertaining side to watch, but I don't really want England to entertain me - I just want them to win.

Back