• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next season 2022-2023 expectations?

Where will will finish

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Play-off places

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Mid table

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is the Macauley the club needs.......

Macauley Bonne​

Bonne ended the season with two goals in 22 first-team appearances for Colchester.
He joined Leyton Orient and scored 49 goals in two seasons.
The O's won the NL in his second season.
Scored one goal in 15 NL appearances for Lincoln & Woking in 2016/17 season. Then scored 20+ the next two seasons.

Sometimes you can't judge strikers based on their previous seasons.

Scored one goal in 15 NL appearances for Lincoln & Woking in 2016/17 season. Then scored 20+ the next two seasons.

Sometimes you can't judge strikers based on their previous seasons.
How true that is.

It took five seasons to get out of League 2 despite having a team capable of doing so by season two. This despite there being three automatic promotion spots - albeit the Aldershot floodlight scandal playing a part in us falling short.

As it stands we have, relatively speaking of course, an inferior team and in a league with only one automatic spot.

We need to step up two levels: one to get us into the play-off spots - and given our form since Maher and co took charge we're nearly there - and then enough improvement to make us genuine contenders for automatic promotion. This would mean leapfrogging Chesterfield and Wrexham at the very least; to me they are are the two to beat. And of course we can't discount the likes of Solihull, Notts County, Halifax, even the Daggers etc. I also don't know how effectively Oldham and Scunny are rebuilding.

I'm not saying we can't do it but it will be very tough. I'm pretty sure we'll make the play-offs but my gut feeling is we'll fall short of promotion. If it doesn't happen hopefully we'll be favourites going into season three.
This is a fairly sober assessment in many ways.

I don't think any of the four promoted sides will threaten the top 7. And I think Oldham and Scunny are far more likely to be fighting relegation than fighting at the other end - both are a shambles on and off the pitch.

But Kris identified some tough competitors in his post and I would add Torquay, Yeovil and Boreham Wood (who suffered for that great FA Cup run last season).

Quite often in your Division you can throw a blanket over the clubs between 10th-18th and much depends on injuries, suspensions, marginal advantages from good management and so on. I think that is the group I would expect you to be in. But the beauty of football is that you never know.

Last edited:
This is a fairly sober assessment in many ways.

I don't think any of the four promoted sides will threaten the top 7. And I think Oldham and Scunny are far more likely to be fighting relegation than fighting at the other end - both are a shambles on and off the pitch.

But Kris identified some tough competitors in his post and I would add Torquay, Yeovil and Boreham Wood (who suffered for that great FA Cup run last season).

Quite often in your Division you can throw a blanket over the clubs between 10th-18th and much depends on injuries, suspensions, marginal advantages from good management and so on. I think that is the group I would expect you to be in. But the beauty of football is that you never know.
I'm not sure about Torquay, they have lost several key players who will be difficult to replace.

On the other hand, Yeovil and Boreham Wood have managed to retain their key players.

Would this affect players who have been offered but not yet accepted new contracts?
Sorry harveyhoe....only just seen this .
I dont know the answer to that.
I heard theres a fair size wedge potentially coming to RM around Oct, but I dont know what funds (if any) can be raised or released prior to that by maybe using those funds as leverage/security etc. As usual with SUFC the purse strings are in Rons hands. Tom can only utilise what is released and available to him and I know hes doing as good a job as possible.

I have a nagging feeling that if promotion was as simple as identifying cost effective young players from lower leagues then everyone would be doing it.
Perhaps we building for the future with these young kids ,which to me is sensible as the new stadium will take time to build once it has begun ,have faith fellas FF was built in a day nor will SOUTHEND uNITED BE .

Well that was a bit of a whirlwind Tuesday evening. Three more new players into the squad, five newbies in all and June isn't yet over. It got me thinking that as much as I might like our new Blues squad to hit the ground running and sweep all before them, it must take time to gel into the NL Championship winners we all want.

So my 'starter' expectations firstly centre around a team playing attractive football which excites the RH crowd. For 'mains' I'm looking for points on the board which constantly make other teams wary of how we are doing, and finally for 'desert', a flirt with a decent Cup run and striving for a play-off place. All of that is a pretty tall order for a new squad and if we exceed my expectations then no one will be happier than me. All we need now is some solid news on Fossetts Farm (you know, the sort where someone is turning over big sods in a field with more than a spade) and a backroom staff comfortable that they will have enough dosh to pay their bills each month. Too much to hope for? Nah.

Very close to play offs, around them all season should be, make playoffs will be progress, don’t expect to much to soon, we have a fair few new players coming in that are also stepping up a league.

RHB Do not run before you walk!
Well, Mr Baldy, I reckon I'm being very conservative in my expectations, and as for running, at my age I have trouble walking these days days, let alone breaking out in a trot.

Well, Mr Baldy, I reckon I'm being very conservative in my expectations, and as for running, at my age I have trouble walking these days days, let alone breaking out in a trot.
Join the club and it can be damn painful at times.

I have a nagging feeling that if promotion was as simple as identifying cost effective young players from lower leagues then everyone would be doing it.
Of course it's not but it's one of the essential elements towards success. Amongst other things that need to come into place; good management skills; luck with avoiding injuries; good vibes within the squad; stability on and particularly off the field and a huge dose of Lady Luck.

Looks like Oldham will be under new ownership by the end of July. They will probably still struggle, but would no longer be the basket case they are at the moment.

Back