• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane North Bank Choir, During Mid 1960's - Where Are You Now?

The names are endless. Some at times i forget , like Ambrose, Peter Knight, Squirrel, John Carlin,Bob Woolf, Carl Conners of course, Robbie Winkworth, The Moody brothers, Ronnie Turner, Kim Webber, Sid Wright, Steve Scarrot, Mick Wall, Nobber of course, Ian Lesak, the list goes on.
not forgetting the one and only stan cornwall

I remember Borehamwood coming down for a cup game once, and having a right go....surprised me
That was rent a mob. About 2/3rds of them had Arsenal scarves, or were shouting Arsenal instead of Borehamwood. There's quite a few Arsenal supporters in Borehamwood. as it's straight down the A11 and A1. Apparently some Arsenal had got beaten up at a train station by some Southend. So they came for revenge, bolstered by some of the Arsenal North Bank lot.

I was there as a fifteen year old behind the North Bank goal at the back of the stand, and a very happy memory it was too. I'm not sure, but there was a bloke who organised a lot of the singing (if you could call it that) and I think his name was Clive Leatherdale. He was quite tall and went on to become a writer and author of some success. He went on to write
The Southend United Centenary Handbook 1909-1910 - Desert Island Football Histories

All that seems an absolute age ago now (and Mrs RHB has just reminded me that it was!)
Hello Mate , Great To Hear You Are Still Going Strong After All This Time.
COYB, UTB. Being at the back you must remember the kicking on the corrugated iron, every time we scored a Goal!:Footballer::Goal:

Friday nights in the Pak.... what memories! I was the bloke who wore the most anti-skinhead clothes ever... a full length afghan coat (bought from Romford market for 42 quid which was a fortune in those days!), a blue and white striped tank top and the longest blue and white scarf you could imagine (knitted for me by my mum).
Leigh Comm every week, football first, often about 25 a side, followed by Top of The Pops in the Comm. Used to go on my old Lambretta (again not very skinheady) with L plates - never did take a motor bike test.
And yes we could sing! Knees Up Muvver Brown, Strollin just strollin, In Dublin's Fair City.... so many songs as well as the more usual Sea sea seasiders etc whilst cheering on Messrs Best Moore Garner Johnson and Taylor.... that was just the forward line.
I was still at school too..... very happy days looking back on it.
COYB, UTB. :Footballer:

The names are endless. Some at times i forget , like Ambrose, Peter Knight, Squirrel, John Carlin,Bob Woolf, Carl Conners of course, Robbie Winkworth, The Moody brothers, Bob Belamy, Ronnie Turner, Kim Webber, Sid Wright, Steve Scarrot, Mick Wall, Nobber of course, Ian Lesak, the list goes on.

You would not want to face that lot in there day.
I will be seeing Bob Woolf on the 24th November at Jap's 60th birthday party. I was with Robbie W last night. Kim Webber hangs around with our own Brian Dear. Sid Wright did an interview with James English, on one of his tough guy talks. Sid talks about his time operating from Leigh Elms with John Moody and colin B, and everything else he got up to. He got up to a lot, Lol. Just put in Sidney Wright on Youtube and it will come up.

Late 60’s I started out lots of u21/ reserves matches in the East seats when the standing paddock was in front ( because they were super cheap and it felt dead good being in the ‘expensive’ seats’.
If memory serves me right the “cushion “ was free- that mattered when you’re 8/9 years old).
Book cover attached, details of all up to 1991.
I haven’t seen anything since

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 26
  • PHOTO-2021-06-15-16-45-45.jpeg
    PHOTO-2021-06-15-16-45-45.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 25
COYB, UTB. Being at the back you must remember the kicking on the corrugated iron, every time we scored a Goal!:Footballer::Goal:
Indeed I do, I also remember the North Bank bogs and that unique aroma they emitted. Some things stay with you for ever.

Transition to North Bank with a load of Shoebury High ( became a comprehensive soon after), with the class of 71…..
Tim Campbell
John Dubwanis
John Moody
Steve Carlin
John Jackson
Martin Darke to name a few
We were “the youth” and served our apprenticeship moving from the edges in towards the core

Good Afternoon Captain, first things first, Peter Valentine was the owner of the white van. As has already been mentioned his nickname was Bonzo and the van was generally known to us all as the Bonzmobile. I spent a good 3+ years traveling around this country in that van so I would imagine that we may know each other?. I was also a fully paid up member of the choir or "PAK" as it was always known back then. I did go to the weekend away for the matches against Tranmere Rovers and Stockport(when the Stockport supporters tried to tip the van over) but I went on the coach that stayed in New Brighton for that weekend. Many of the fans who travelled in the van are on this site and others that are not are still about and I often see them at RH. As far as I know Bonzo is still alive and last I knew he was living close to Peterborough and he would always come back to RH on the Posh supporters coach.. Finally my nickname back then was Nobbler and for my sins these days you can always find me talking to anyone who cares to listen about BEST & MOORE etc in the East Stand Green seats where I have been for the last 20 years. If you fancy a catch up anytime soon, then let me know, it would be great to hear about all things SUFC from the middle to late 60's, for me personally they really were the "Halcyon Days" to follow the club that I love so much. "Stay Safe" Cheers Dave.⚽🦐
Hi Dave, Yes I do remember you as Nobbler!
Great To Hear You Are Still Going Strong After All This Time. Thanks for reminding me about Peter Valentine as well. Those were the Days (Our Yoof )
I live in Maldon so not local in Southend anymore. I still go to matches though. I am not that far away and would welcome a Meet up in a Pub somewhere one afternoon for a good old Shrimpers Chinwag!
:Footballer: :LoyalSupporter:

In 1967, I had just started going and would have been sat on the wall at the front of the North Bank, looking up, admiringly, at all the big boys, singing.

o

V
It was a bit lively in the middle, every time we scored a goal there was a whole lot of Pushing and Shoving going on all over the Place....All in Joy of Course!:Footballer::LoyalSupporter:

The names are endless. Some at times i forget , like Ambrose, Peter Knight, Squirrel, John Carlin,Bob Woolf, Carl Conners of course, Robbie Winkworth, The Moody brothers, Bob Belamy, Ronnie Turner, Kim Webber, Sid Wright, Steve Scarrot, Mick Wall, Nobber of course, Ian Lesak, the list goes on.

You would not want to face that lot in there day.
Hi Cricko, Unfortunately I have forgotten most of the names !
It was a long time ago now though. Some are not with us anymore.
Love to All of you that are still around 🥰:Footballer::LoyalSupporter:

Good Afternoon Captain, first things first, Peter Valentine was the owner of the white van. As has already been mentioned his nickname was Bonzo and the van was generally known to us all as the Bonzmobile. I spent a good 3+ years traveling around this country in that van so I would imagine that we may know each other?. I was also a fully paid up member of the choir or "PAK" as it was always known back then. I did go to the weekend away for the matches against Tranmere Rovers and Stockport(when the Stockport supporters tried to tip the van over) but I went on the coach that stayed in New Brighton for that weekend. Many of the fans who travelled in the van are on this site and others that are not are still about and I often see them at RH. As far as I know Bonzo is still alive and last I knew he was living close to Peterborough and he would always come back to RH on the Posh supporters coach.. Finally my nickname back then was Nobbler and for my sins these days you can always find me talking to anyone who cares to listen about BEST & MOORE etc in the East Stand Green seats where I have been for the last 20 years. If you fancy a catch up anytime soon, then let me know, it would be great to hear about all things SUFC from the middle to late 60's, for me personally they really were the "Halcyon Days" to follow the club that I love so much. "Stay Safe" Cheers Dave.⚽🦐

i am a proud member of Leigh Comm mob and THE PAK, oh how I miss those great days and all my mates and my brother Roger..
Leigh Com Crew .

Back