• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane North Bank Choir, During Mid 1960's - Where Are You Now?

Those two came back though for revenge with their full mobs and ten times bigger, so it was a different story. I got caught out in the Millwall 0-0 league game, as I covered on here, when they came for revenge, when they turned up with their F troop and dockers, knives and docker hooks, not that they needed them. It was the first time I saw weapons at a football match.
I remember that game... my mate and I had been going to games without our Dads for about a year and had made the North Bank our preferred option.... not in the middle, but in the North East corner.

I think it was a Friday night game and when the got there, the North Bank was busier than usual with a lot of unfamiliar faces and a weird atmosphere. The Millwall fans showed themselves at kick off with their "Lions roar".

We were quite intimidated and were extra pleased neither team scored because it may well have kicked off and that really wasn't our bag at all.

Incidentally, he's not on here I don't think but a mate of mine says he was one of the Leigh Comm Crew... his name is Vaughan Choppen and he says hello to anyone who remembers him.

I remember that game... my mate and I had been going to games without our Dads for about a year and had made the North Bank our preferred option.... not in the middle, but in the North East corner.

I think it was a Friday night game and when the got there, the North Bank was busier than usual with a lot of unfamiliar faces and a weird atmosphere. The Millwall fans showed themselves at kick off with their "Lions roar".

We were quite intimidated and were extra pleased neither team scored because it may well have kicked off and that really wasn't our bag at all.

Incidentally, he's not on here I don't think but a mate of mine says he was one of the Leigh Comm Crew... his name is Vaughan Choppen and he says hello to anyone who remembers him.
I remember Vaughan he was a Willie 'Co , Co' Coulson look alike .

What happened was me and my Leigh mates, not Leigh Comm, but from our Leigh council estate, Kent Avenue, Surrey Avenue, Manchester Drive, etc, got in the North Bank very early, probably about an hour before kick off. There was us and a few young lads standing right in the middle. Then we heard a massive bang and crash from behind the North Bank. They had smashed the big blue gates/doors down. Then this massive mob came up from the North West side singing ''MILLLLLWAAALLLLLL''. We were young lads, and they were much bigger, much older, average age about 25. Then a few at the front pulled out large knives and dockers hooks. Everyone scattered onto the pitch and ran to the East paddock. I very stupidly was 2nd last to run, S.W. was last(Him being absolutely fearless and a nutcase) I got to the wall behind the goal and just got over as one grabbed my boot. I managed to kick him away with a back kick with my Doc Martens. And ran for my life into the East paddock. Luckily they didn't follow, they just wanted the North Bank. So that was that. They had the North Bank, and they filled it up a lot more as more Millwall arrived. So when you arrived fbm, that's what you were greeted with. They were going for the title, so they brought a few thousand down that night, most by train. They were also out for revenge when they got chased out of the North Bank in an earlier friendly. They also had their fans scattered in the West Stand and South Bank, where there were a few fights, as some of our North Bank lot went into those stands in dribs and drabs. That was the night they smashed a load of High Street windows. The police made a statement condemning all the trouble and damage they caused, and said something about next time they might not let them off the trains, if it's possible to do. It would have been even worse if they lost.

Last edited:
Nightmare evening. We was in the South Bank and it all came on top. Dave C said 'we will have to get on top of the tea bar and start swinging those scaffold poles' I thought 'so this is where I'm going to die'.
We got out the ground okay and drove to the Sutton and gave Millwall abuse along Victoria Avenue. The driver had left the choke out and flooded the engine, Millwall saw it and charged the motor I think 'this is definitely where I'm going to die' driver gets the car started and we go for a beer in the Sutton. There were groups of Millwall in town till last trains left and once closing time came it was a case of 'win some lose some' when we bumped into each other.

What happened was me and my Leigh mates, not Leigh Comm, but from our Leigh council estate, Kent Avenue, Surrey Avenue, Manchester Drive, etc, got in the North Bank very early, probably about an hour before kick off. There was us and a few young lads standing right in the middle. Then we heard a massive bang and crash from behind the North Bank. They had smashed the big blue gates/doors down. Then this massive mob came up from the North West side singing ''MILLLLLWAAALLLLLL''. We were young lads, and they were much bigger, much older, average age about 25. Then a few at the front pulled out large knives and dockers hooks. Everyone scattered onto the pitch and ran to the East paddock. I very stupidly was 2nd last to run, S.W. was last(Him being absolutely fearless and a nutcase) I got to the wall behind the goal and just got over as one grabbed my boot. I managed to kick him away with a back kick with my Doc Martens. And ran for my life into the East paddock. Luckily they didn't follow, they just wanted the North Bank. So that was that. They had the North Bank, and they filled it up a lot more as more Millwall arrived. So when you arrived fbm, that's what you were greeted with. They were going for the title, so they brought a few thousand down that night, most by train. They were also out for revenge when they got chased out of the North Bank in an earlier friendly. They also had their fans scattered in the West Stand and South Bank, where there were a few fights, as some of our North Bank lot went into those stands in dribs and drabs. That was the night they smashed a load of High Street windows. The police made a statement condemning all the trouble and damage they caused, and said something about next time they might not let them off the trains, if it's possible to do. It would have been even worse if they lost.
Thanks for that, I was unaware about what happened. We would have got in just before kick off.

I must admit, I've never understood the depth of rivalry that would cause people to just fight each other because you followed a team with a different coloured shirt.

Having said that, we need people with that sort of attitude to defend us (and I'm not talking about the North Bank; I'm talking in general). I think it was a Millwall hooligan who performed bloody heroics on London Bridge with that Jihadist who was going around randomly stabbing people a few years ago.

If everyone was as non-confrontational as me, I expect we'd all be speaking German now. I don't agree with it, but it is occasionally necessary, I know that. I just want no part of it.

Thanks for that, I was unaware about what happened. We would have got in just before kick off.

I must admit, I've never understood the depth of rivalry that would cause people to just fight each other because you followed a team with a different coloured shirt.

Having said that, we need people with that sort of attitude to defend us (and I'm not talking about the North Bank; I'm talking in general). I think it was a Millwall hooligan who performed bloody heroics on London Bridge with that Jihadist who was going around randomly stabbing people a few years ago.

If everyone was as non-confrontational as me, I expect we'd all be speaking German now. I don't agree with it, but it is occasionally necessary, I know that. I just want no part of

The word PAK comes from the late 60s when I L and others used to travel around the country in the back of Bonzo's van and they used to PAK everyone in . It was I L who came up with the name PAK .
Remember Bonzo very well.Top man.Used to be good mates with Micky Staines .

If everyone was as non-confrontational as me, I expect we'd all be speaking German now. I don't agree with it, but it is occasionally necessary, I know that. I just want no part of it.
Yes, I was the opposite, I was a defender of the North Bank. It's what a lot did in those days. Our gang had already said a few days before the match that no one was to run if Millwall get in the North Bank. We would defend it and defend each other. That's why I didn't want to run, until I had to. The problem with that was that it happened long before kick off so there was no one else to help us, and also they had brought down their much older nutters for revenge. It was like F Troop plus dockers. The weapons I never understood, as they didn't need them. They would have smashed us to pieces anyway. They were probably expecting a lot more Southend in the North Bank, but it was too early for our regulars. But I never used to attack any other fans, but I would fight back when attacked. If people nowadays don't understand it, say another teams mob attacked the Blue Voice. I know there's a lot of lads there that normally wouldn't fight, but if attacked, they probably would to defend that section and their mates.

For anyone interested that wasn't there. The Pak was made up of all singers, lads not willing to fight, and lads willing to fight to defend the North Bank. You have to understand that in those days, the taking of a North Bank was a big thing. So it would be talked about for days after, at school for some of us, sometimes years after everywhere through word of mouth. The centre bit was basically The Pak. It was enclosed with metal poles going all the way down to the front, but stopped short of the front wall with a large gap so supporters could walk along the front near the wall. In the late 60s. Kids of about 7-11 tended to sit or stand next to the wall behind the goal. They would elevate to The Pak when older. Ian. L and his mob of older guys would stand the other side of the separating poles, on the left looking down onto the pitch. They would definitely defend the North Bank if it was attacked. Not much later, the Leigh Comm lot also stood that side to defend the North Bank. They were a bigger mob and madder lot than Ian L's lot, and would also go to away grounds to take on other North Banks. even though vastly outnumbered. Ian L's lot were still always there though at home games, and the big away games. Why that side you may ask? Because it was pay on the day at the turnstile. So other teams mobs would come down Victoria Avenue, and head into the car park, and get in our North Bank through the turnstiles on the North/East corner. They would wait until they was all in at the edge of the North Bank, and make their attack heading for The Pak. Usually charging and shouting. Some of The Pak would scatter, some would charge behind the I.L. and Leigh Comm mobs. In most cases like Chelsea the first time, and the Millwall friendly, the opposing mobs were beaten and chased out and were probably not expecting such strong opposition, Those two came back though for revenge with their full mobs and ten times bigger, so it was a different story. I got caught out in the Millwall 0-0 league game, as I covered on here, when they came for revenge, when they turned up with their F troop and dockers, knives and docker hooks, not that they needed them. It was the first time I saw weapons at a football match. On the big games, two more big mobs came into it, the Sutton Arms mob, and the Shoebury mob. And of course the Pak would be packed tight with lads from all over the Southend Borough. Anyway, I know some don't like hearing that sort of thing, but I'm just adding to the history of the North Bank. That's how it was back in those days. When the big games were on, Chelsea, QPR, Aston Villa, or a top of the table clash, the North bank was packed. It was incredibly loud as the sound bounced off the low corrugated roof. It was absolute magic. That's why a lot still talk about the old North Bank from that period and the Pak, and of course the songs from that period.
I see you mention the Villa match. As a nine year old at the time my earliest Roots Hall memory is watching at that game the flared trouser pitch invasion by both sets of supporters from the relative safety of the West Stand. I'd be interested to learn your memories of that match re that pitch invasion and 'what happened in the stands' at that game etc.

T

I see you mention the Villa match. As a nine year old at the time my earliest Roots Hall memory is watching at that game the flared trouser pitch invasion by both sets of supporters from the relative safety of the West Stand. I'd be interested to learn your memories of that match re that pitch invasion and 'what happened in the stands' at that game etc.

T
Yes sure. So the Villa fans were all on the massive old South Bank. The North Bank was full of Southend. The Villa fans started to get lower down the South Bank, so you could tell they might come across the pitch to try and take the North Bank. They probably thought charge across the pitch and our North Bank will scatter sideways, leaving them the North Bank. After all it is the mighty Aston Villa v little old Southend. So on they come, and instead of running away, it seemed like the whole North Bank ran onto the pitch straight at them. As this was happening a line of police came from inside the players tunnel and ran across the centre line. The two mobs met in the middle and a few punches and kicks were exchanged and Villa ran back with their tails between their legs. So Southend returned to the North Bank encouraged by the police, as Southend had the upper hand. This was what it was like in those days, when you think most of the North Bank came on the pitch to see off the attackers. Southend fans had a lot of bottle. As for the stands, I didn't see any fighting at all.

Yes sure. So the Villa fans were all on the massive old South Bank. The North Bank was full of Southend. The Villa fans started to get lower down the South Bank, so you could tell they might come across the pitch to try and take the North Bank. They probably thought charge across the pitch and our North Bank will scatter sideways, leaving them the North Bank. After all it is the mighty Aston Villa v little old Southend. So on they come, and instead of running away, it seemed like the whole North Bank ran onto the pitch straight at them. As this was happening a line of police came from inside the players tunnel and ran across the centre line. The two mobs met in the middle and a few punches and kicks were exchanged and Villa ran back with their tails between their legs. So Southend returned to the North Bank encouraged by the police, as Southend had the upper hand. This was what it was like in those days, when you think most of the North Bank came on the pitch to see off the attackers. Southend fans had a lot of bottle. As for the stands, I didn't see any fighting at all.
I remember it will, particularly as I was in the South Bank and, believe it or not, very young. And the best bit was that we won 1-0.

Only real bother I saw that day against Villa was on the way to, and at , Southend Victoria station after the game.
The pitch invasion looked dramatic but hardly a blow exchanged.

Remember the Villa game from the safety of the East Stand, I was about 9 then. The Millwall game was another story as I was 13 and had taken the right of passage to the North Bank. I went to the game with my normal half dozen school mates and we went through the turnstiles in blissful ignorance of the Millwall gate storming. As we went through I remember thinking to my self, it's busy early in here tonight, we couldn't take our normal spot so ended up near the front right behind the goal. Straight away something didn't feel right, unusually quite given the numbers already in and a lack of familiar faces. I said to my mates I think this is Millwall to which they all said noway. Now as this was the times of scarfs tied around the wrist as well as the neck I spotted most of the Blue & White bar scarfs on display had all White tassles, that struck me as odd as mine and my mates were both. Just as I was pointing out my observation and my deep concern we were potentially dead meat the players ran out. If memory serves me right Malcolm Webster was our goalie and as he ran to the North Bank as normal this almighty roar of Millwall filled the stand and a bottle hit I think the stanchion post of the goal. I turned to say to my mates I told you only to seem them moving rapidly along the front towards the West Stand, a move which had now drawn attention to us, something we had so far avoided. So I decided to stay where I was for a minute and hope for the best. I could see my mates making their way up the terrace of the North West corner being closely pursued by a few Millwall. I held ground until kick off then slowly and as casual as I could headed in the same direction. When I got to the top there was a number of Southend who were being let into the West. I met up with my mates who were at the very back on the walk way. After a while there was this banging on the corrugated and that drawn-out Millwall chant ringing its way through the West as a large group of them moved along the back from the South to the North. They filed passed us face to face and just as the last couple were going by for some reason best known to himself one of my mates decided it would be a great idea to pretend to be Millwall and shout out the most unconvincing 'Come on you Lions' you have ever heard, which led to him getting a swift left hook from one of the Millwall who never broke stride and just kept moving on. After the game the walk down Victoria Avenue was quite intimidating as scuffles and stuff was going on all over but I survived to see my mates lovely shinner of an eye at school on the Monday!

Bonzo and BonzMobile , Great Good-Hearted Bloke 🫶
Mickey Staines was in my Class at Eastwood School. Is he here on Shrimperzone?
His Sister Michelle used to go to away games as well.
Dunno if MS is on SZ.Don't think I knew he had a sistet .Remmber his missus +Bonzo's white van well though (we're talking about 70/71 here ) :Winking:

Not the 60s but first game of the season 75 against Sheffield Wednesday, I remember going into the North Bank seeing it packed full of blokes with blue and white scarfs. None I recognised, which I thought strange, until they started Singing I O Wednesdaym Wednesday I O. we won 2 - 1 but me and my mates were very quiet the whole game.

I think it must have been Ian Leask that scared me most as an innocent young teenager.
He was recently over here, visiting from his home for decades in U.S.A, & was at the game v Maidenhead with his son. I introduced him to Cricko at half time at the back of the West Stand.
Now 72 & a lovely well spoken guy, but imo still has an 'aura' about him.

Back