• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The problems at Northampton aren't just due to shortfalls in their working capital position.

The new Indian Consortium rushed them into new developments by entering into loan agreements with the Council. The club defaulted on repayments of the loan and the Council called in the full £10.25m. On top of this the club have not been paying taxes as and when they fall due, hence the winding up petition to HMRC.

Its a real mess and whilst I have no particular fondness for Northampton Town (saying that I have had some cracking days out at Sixfields) I would not wish any football club to go out of business.

Here's a good blog about it all: https://aloadofcobblers2012.wordpress.com/

All about risk. Should we not go for promotion or float around League 1 forever? Football players are ambitious and the good ones (Piggy/Timlin for example) will probably leave for a club that is gunning for promotion, leaving the club possibly facing relegation where that £3M will become £1M.[/QUOTE]

There is not that much of a difference from L1 to L2. I doubt the small amount of TV money (by premiership comparisons) will cover the extra wages for players like Hunt or who renewed their contracts.

Without a cup run or making the playoffs we could end up financially worse off than last season.

A while ago I saw a feature about Walsall FC on the telly which stated that they are the only league club who actually manage to operate with a small profit. Did anyone else see this?

I still cannot fathom out the way many clubs are run,I mean how tough can it be to run any small club with a tiny profit?

Total ST sales,add other projected revenue streams ,match day ticket sales.

Divide the amount to staff ,players ,rent ,rates, tax and other bills.

honestyisthebestpolicy.

Unless all other teams in the division do the same thing, the following will happen to the majority of teams that followed this model.

• Clear out players and staff that you can no longer afford (assuming you can get rid of them )
  • Buy 'cheaper' players, manager and employee cheaper staff
  • Loose matches
  • Crowds fall and supporters call on chairman to invest in players
  • Chairman can not afford to invest in players becasue he i running to a budget
  • Get relegated as your players are not as good as everyone elses
  • Start season on even lower budget than last season due to reduced league payouts, smaller crowds, less chance of cup runs
  • Repeat all of the above

To generate income you fee paying customers.
To get fee paying customers you need an attractive product.
Attractive product in football = skilled players producing winning football.
Skilled players cost money....money that you MIGHT have (more fee paying customers) moving forward but also money that you might not have (less fee paying customers) moving forward
Decision time Mrs Blue, do you take a punt or not......

Unless all other teams in the division do the same thing, the following will happen to the majority of teams that followed this model.

• Clear out players and staff that you can no longer afford (assuming you can get rid of them )
  • Buy 'cheaper' players, manager and employee cheaper staff
  • Loose matches
  • Crowds fall and supporters call on chairman to invest in players
  • Chairman can not afford to invest in players becasue he i running to a budget
  • Get relegated as your players are not as good as everyone elses
  • Start season on even lower budget than last season due to reduced league payouts, smaller crowds, less chance of cup runs
  • Repeat all of the above

I think,

Players would no longer be paid silly money,ticket prices would fall and every club would have dips and troughs.

The dopey FL show every week proves that football is too expensive because of the empty seats.

Our club has had a fling in the second level but played the majority in 3 and 4,it is what it is.

I think,

Players would no longer be paid silly money,ticket prices would fall and every club would have dips and troughs.

The dopey FL show every week proves that football is too expensive because of the empty seats.

Our club has had a fling in the second level but played the majority in 3 and 4,it is what it is.

But we are where we are, you can't univent the wheel. The Premier League is a huge product worldwide and sadly clubs like SUFC have to feed off the scraps.

Salford United (as on the BBC at the moment) are in the 8th tier of the pyramid, but their star centre forward is (was?) on £300 a week which is a pretty good whack for a part time job.

To generate income you fee paying customers.
To get fee paying customers you need an attractive product.
Attractive product in football = skilled players producing winning football.
Skilled players cost money....money that you MIGHT have (more fee paying customers) moving forward but also money that you might not have (less fee paying customers) moving forward
Decision time Mrs Blue, do you take a punt or not......

We are lower level,we in the past have taken expensive punts on players and still do,we scrapped promotion and this season are doing ok without the expensive Hunt(Noel you are class but it was always a dangerous punt).This club could easily become extinct ,is that your kind of punt?

We are lower level,we in the past have taken expensive punts on players and still do,we scrapped promotion and this season are doing ok without the expensive Hunt(Noel you are class but it was always a dangerous punt).This club could easily become extinct ,is that your kind of punt?

Are you happy then, watching football, where the ultimate outcome of the season is mid table security every year?

Mrs Blue, you said it was easy, just wanted to get a better understanding of how you would approach it?

Why is it that when another club struggles, most people on here can see that they've lived beyond their means and what's happened is almost inevitable. But when it's us that's in trouble most people can't appreciate that the manager has been backed strongly in terms of player recruitment, that we carry a large squad, and that maybe we've lived beyond our means? When it's us in the mire, everyone blames Ron and asks where the Eastwood money has gone.

Are you happy then, watching football, where the ultimate outcome of the season is mid table security every year?

We have enjoyed massive success during the last decade or so.

Mid table security will always be the aim once you reach above your weight,look at the prem,it has 4 mini leagues,is that really sport or just the richest rule.

Mrs Blue, you said it was easy, just wanted to get a better understanding of how you would approach it?

If i owned the club at RH,I would guarantee the effing South TBar was open minimum.

We have enjoyed massive success during the last decade or so.

Mid table security will always be the aim once you reach above your weight,look at the prem,it has 4 mini leagues,is that really sport or just the richest rule.

Indeed, but to get above your weight you need to gamble on players - sometimes it works (Goater) sometimes it doesn't (Harris, Freedman).

I wouldnt personally,.... but I reckon every Col Utd fan would bite your hand off right now for that final position over their last few seasons!! :smile:

Back