• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nurse threatened with sack for offering to say a prayer for patient.

Why wouldn't I? I'd use my dying breaths to tell the nurse/doctor to ferk off as quickly as humanly possible.

Why like that, MK? As in my post above, it is just superstition, so why get so worked up about it - just decline gracefully as you decline (disgracefully ;))

The NMC [Nursing Midwifery Council] code states that ’you must demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to equality and diversity’ and ’you must not use your professional status to promote causes that are not related to health’."

Many would argue, both from within and outside the health sector, that spiritual care is an integral part of the provision of health care, as emotional/mental/psychological care is so important, especially towards the end of life. however this care should always be provided within the framework of a patients spirituality/beliefs/philosophy

I don't understand why people (MK) are agreeing about this. Now I am not going to make assumptions about this but whatever your beliefs I can say that I would think someone praying for you would be a good thing. If you are truely dying then to be honest you wouldn;t have a clue what was going on anyway.

I would imagine I am one of a select group who has been there when someone was dying/died on this group (not knowing which other people work in the healthcare and other select professions) and I am not sure someone who works for network rail is in the position to say how they would feel when they are dying because to be honest you don't have a clue my friend.

I am not a Christian but if someone there was demonstrating at my last moments that they cared enough about me they that would make me feel at ease which is something you need at this time. Trust me. Although on the other hand people moaning about patients asking to be facing Meccah to pray shouldn't moan, that sort of thing takes 10 seconds whereas some of the crap patients ask you to do is beyonf belief.

Last edited:
Many would argue, both from within and outside the health sector, that spiritual care is an integral part of the provision of health care, as emotional/mental/psychological care is so important, especially towards the end of life. however this care should always be provided within the framework of a patients spirituality/beliefs/philosophy

I can't rep you as it is too recent but at least you are someone who has a clue what you are talking about,.

MK, have to disagree with you on this one. Now, had the nurse suggested that the patient prays to God, then she'd be in the wrong, but offering a prayer herself? Well, it's just good manners. Do christians now have to disguise there allegiance? If someone sneezes can they not say "Bless you"? We all use Christian expressions without knowing it, should they all be banned just so a few over sensitive souls don't get offended?

I, like yourself, am a believer that we can all get along, however the irony is you're doing your best to cause distrust by supporting these half baked PC ideas. Most people I know from backgrounds other than Christian would take it as a kind offer by someone whos views are wrong, but whos heart is in the right place. If a Christian, or a Muslim, or anybody from any religion offered a prayer for me when I was sick, I'd thank them for at least meaning well, and that's with me being Pagan, and therefore used to Christians being a bit bigotted!

Do the staff at Southend hospital offer to go outside and smoke for the patients?

Every time I drive by there is quite a group gathered outside.

Actaully, I'd be quite concerned if I was ill in hospital and the best a nurse could offer me was a "prayer", regardless of their religion.

But it's The Sun that reported it, so I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

I dont get what the offence is??
We are born and bred in this country and it seems like we will never win! This political correctness is ****, if you cant approve of the english culture dont come over here and try and ruin it!
Couldnt really care less about them but if they want to live here or whatever they have to live our way.. Would be the same if we moved over to another country, we would have to live their way.. Its not a competition to see if you can get stronger than the government.. Which somehow they have succeeded!!

What's that got to do with this issue? Who said the person being prayed for was foreign? As far as i'm aware her identity hasn't been made public.

If anything I would imagine this nurse thought she was indigenous otherwise she wouldn't have offered. Interesting also that the Atheist Society support this action. Their spokesperson is native, but isn't religious, and takes offence at having religion forced down his throat.

What's that got to do with this issue? Who said the person being prayed for was foreign? As far as i'm aware her identity hasn't been made public.

If anything I would imagine this nurse thought she was indigenous otherwise she wouldn't have offered. Interesting also that the Atheist Society support this action. Their spokesperson is native, but isn't religious, and takes offence at having religion forced down his throat.

As you say, she offered - she didn't force anything down anyones throat. And an awful lot of people do like to be prayed for. Are they to be denied that opportunity because of the over-sensitivity of a few?

If a Christian, or a Muslim, or anybody from any religion offered a prayer for me when I was sick, I'd thank them for at least meaning well, and that's with me being Pagan, and therefore used to Christians being a bit bigotted!

I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs on this issue because frankly I don't care.

However, I do want to ask you why it is OK for you to put forward your view that you would be OK with this, but it isn't OK for MK to put forward his view that he wouldn't?

Lets get the "facts" straight on this can we.

The report does not mention anywhere the religion of the person who complained , so can we cut all the anti-muslim etc comments because in this instance they are unfounded.

(Actually I don't feel that an offer to pray would have offended a Muslim unless she specified exactly who she was praying too)

Secondly "She was previously told not to promote her faith after offering a prayer card to a patient" so she has previously had a warning , so the sacking is not about her offering to pray, its about repeated breach of the rules . The repitition is what is potentially getting her the sack not the nature of the offence.

Last edited:
I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs on this issue because frankly I don't care.

However, I do want to ask you why it is OK for you to put forward your view that you would be OK with this, but it isn't OK for MK to put forward his view that he wouldn't?

I have never said that it isn't alright for MK to put forward his view that he wouldn't. I am quite prepared to have my views questioned and debated and I am sure MK is likewise but I have NEVER questioned MK's right to post his views.

EDIT: If you mean to a nurse offering to pray - his view is that he would't want it, and no one is saying he can't say that. The problem I have is that by trying to stop people offering it in the first place, people who would like to be prayed for are denied that bit of spiritual comfort. Why should that be just because some disagree with it? As said earlier, this is about the OFFER of prayer, not forced conversion!

Last edited:
Lets get the "facts" straight on this can we.

The report does not mention anywhere the religion of the person who complained , so can we cut all the anti-muslim etc comments because in this instance they are unfounded.

(Actually I don't feel that an offer to pray would have offended a Muslim unless she specified exactly who she was praying too)

Secondly "She was previously told not to promote her faith after offering a prayer card to a patient" so she has previously had a warning , so the sacking is not about her offering to pray, its about repeated breach of the rules . The repitition is what is potentially getting her the sack not the nature of the offence.

Thats unusual for a paper like The Sun not to print the true facts!:liar:

I have never said that it isn't alright for MK to put forward his view that he wouldn't. I am quite prepared to have my views questioned and debated and I am sure MK is likewise but I have NEVER questioned MK's right to post his views.

EDIT: If you mean to a nurse offering to pray - his view is that he would't want it, and no one is saying he can't say that. The problem I have is that by trying to stop people offering it in the first place, people who would like to be prayed for are denied that bit of spiritual comfort. Why should that be just because some disagree with it? As said earlier, this is about the OFFER of prayer, not forced conversion!

Please read my post again. I wasn't asking you! :p

Why ask me? I don't think that at any point I have argued that MK has no right to his opinion. I disagree with him, and I've stated so. That's what debate is about.

I have quite a few Christian friends who work in the medical profession and often find themselves in this same dilemma. When they do take a risk and offer to pray for the patient 99 times out of 100 the patient is really pleased to have the offer
I know that strictly speaking they are breaking the terms of the employment but strictly speaking most of us probably break the terms of employment in some way of other and our employers know about it and turn a blind eye often cause they do the same themselves.
For someone to be suspended/sacked for offerring to pray does seem for once to fit that much over-used phrase of 'political correctness gone mad.'
People get frustrated about this because they have a strong hunch that someone of another religion is far less likely to get suspended or sacked in the same circumstances.
The authorities in our country acting in the name tolerance and diversity are acting in a more and more intolerant way.
Freedom of speech is in danger of being restricted to those narrow range of views that the authorities approve of.

Back