• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I think it's awesome that so many people are talking about an obscure league fixture from nearly 40 years ago (when we came back from 2-0 down against Newport). It was a run of the mill fixture against opposition we had no real history with, and I don't think anything other than 3 (actually probably 2) points riding on it, yet it's still talked about decades later.

What other obscure, run of the mill league games will Southend fans still be talking about in 30 years' time?

Beating Swansea 3-2 at their place was magic. They scored first, Constantine equalised and then Dave McSweeney was sent off. Gower then made it 2-1 before he himself was sent off along with Jay Smith and then shortly followed by Paul Brush. Mark Warren then went on to score our third with only 8 men on the pitch before they added a late second. What an absolutely cracking game of football!! Although obviously having 3 suspended for the next game aswell as the assistant manager wasn't exactly ideal!

Beating Swansea 3-2 at their place was magic. They scored first, Constantine equalised and then Dave McSweeney was sent off. Gower then made it 2-1 before he himself was sent off along with Jay Smith and then shortly followed by Paul Brush. Mark Warren then went on to score our third with only 8 men on the pitch before they added a late second. What an absolutely cracking game of football!! Although obviously having 3 suspended for the next game aswell as the assistant manager wasn't exactly ideal!

I had £10 on us to win that game 3-1 at 50/1. After all the sendings off I was gonna be content with the win, then we made it 3-1, I was about to count my cash when Swansea made it 3-2 with the last kick of the game. Never been so gutted when we've won.

Southend 2 - Exeter 1 (22nd September 2012)

Corr returns after 17 months out to score and make it 1-1, and then Freddy pops up with a winner in the last couple of minutes.

It'll live long in the memory for me.

How about, Aldershot Town 0-1 Southed United (HT)
Match abandoned at half-time due to floodlight failure. Aldersh*t went on to win the rescheduled fixture 2-1. Many believe this cost us automatic promotion that season.

Southend v Boston and the appearance of Tes the cat. Not a big attention grabbing fixture until 2-0 up at half time and Tes having to go in goal. A diving left handed save late on being worthy of Gordon Banks himself, at least thats what my memory tells me. And who can forget Ron running on the pitch to embrace him at the end. Wipes tear from eye.

Beating Wigan 3-2, not sure what year. We were 2 nil down at half time, 1 of them a Gatting own goal, and pretty rubbish with it but scored 3 times in last 20 minutes, 2 of them absolute pearlers from Crown and Ling. The other was a Donut penalty. I remember the groans as he stepped as he'd skyed 1 over the bar a few days earlier in a friendly against some obscure Icelandic team. It is undoubtedly my fave ever Shrimpers match and probably ensured my undying love for the team!

Against Rushden and Diamonds for me. 2-0 down at half time, then the legend that was Barrington Belgrave stepped up and changed the game giving as a 4-2 win! Never forget that!

I'll always remember v Hartlepool when Freddy scored from the corner flag. Amazing goal.

Losing 8-1 to Gillingham in 1987 at their place under Mr Bate. I think Dean Neal scored for us. That sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons.

Losing 8-1 to Gillingham in 1987 at their place under Mr Bate. I think Dean Neal scored for us. That sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons.

Likewise with that 2-0 defeat at home to Boston under Wignall, it's a game that still gets referenced an awful lot.

Southend 3, Hartlepool 2.

They scored in the 43rd minute. Richard Cadette equalised in the 44th. They re-took the lead in the 45th. Richard Cadette equalised again in the 91st, and John Gymer popped up with a winner in the 92nd. Oh, and Richard Cadette had to endure racist abuse (from the Hartlepool fans) from the first minute to the last. It was great to see him stick it to them.

A 4-1 at Chester in the mid 80's. We were 1-0 down and equalised through Martin Ling just before half-time.

I and 3 others (Shrimpers are Magic amongst them as driver) had endured a nightmare journey up due to the closure of the M6 and only arrived at half-time. Then a fantastic second half saw us rampaging through Chester with Gary Bennett his first goal for us, and then going crazy in front of the assembled army of about 80.

That FA cup loss at home to Donny Rovers, when they were in the conference on a awful run and turned us over 0-1

Goal scorer on that day a Mr D Penney

Southend United line-up:
Martyn Margetson, Mark Beard, Rob Newman, Simon Coleman (Trevor Fitzpatrick 69), Simon Livett, Mark Stimson (Nathan Jones 45), Kevin Maher, Alex Burns, Barry Conlon, Derek Whyte (Dave Morley 45), Adrian Clarke.

Subs not used: Mel Capelton, Mick Gooding.

Doncaster Rovers line-up:
Andy Woods, Ignacio Ybarra, Simon Shaw, Ian Snodin, Lee Warren, Steve Nicol, Dino Maamria, Dave Penney, Ian Duerden (Mark Hume 79), Glenn Kirkwood, Tommy Wright. Subs not used: Matty Caudwell, Daniel George, David Jones

That FA cup loss at home to Donny Rovers, when they were in the conference on a awful run and turned us over 0-1

Goal scorer on that day a Mr D Penney

Southend United line-up:
Martyn Margetson, Mark Beard, Rob Newman, Simon Coleman (Trevor Fitzpatrick 69), Simon Livett, Mark Stimson (Nathan Jones 45), Kevin Maher, Alex Burns, Barry Conlon, Derek Whyte (Dave Morley 45), Adrian Clarke.

Subs not used: Mel Capelton, Mick Gooding.

Doncaster Rovers line-up:
Andy Woods, Ignacio Ybarra, Simon Shaw, Ian Snodin, Lee Warren, Steve Nicol, Dino Maamria, Dave Penney, Ian Duerden (Mark Hume 79), Glenn Kirkwood, Tommy Wright. Subs not used: Matty Caudwell, Daniel George, David Jones

That wasn't in the League....

On a different note, might that have been the slowest line-up ever assembled?

Our goal that day was an own goal.
We also lost our next away game that season 6-2 at Port Vale and a few months later lost 7-0 away at Sunderland on a Tuesday night.
Mind you the Wigan home game later that season is probably worthy of a mention as we were 2 nil down and thanks to a McDonough penalty and wonder strikes from David Crown and Martin Ling pulled that one back from the dead.

A 4-1 at Chester in the mid 80's. We were 1-0 down and equalised through Martin Ling just before half-time.

I and 3 others (Shrimpers are Magic amongst them as driver) had endured a nightmare journey up due to the closure of the M6 and only arrived at half-time. Then a fantastic second half saw us rampaging through Chester with Gary Bennett his first goal for us, and then going crazy in front of the assembled army of about 80.

Are you sure. He is my brother and as far as I know doesn't drive.

LDV Wino at Swansea when they were top and we were 2nd from bottom, 37 of us went, I counted us. :stunned:, went on 3 weeks later to beat them with 8 men, Mark Warren's first touch to win it.
Torquay at the Hall with 4 inches of snow everywhere, Boxing day I think?
Rushden and dustbins 0-2 ht two guys in front of us tore up their tickets and called us saddos? we won 4-2.
The Macclesfield game when ref Mike North died, RIP unreal experience.
Conga at Barnsley in the cup.
Southampton away, Emotional day as it was first game after Alan Ball died. A load more but involve beer and more silly actions.:blush:

not so much folkore,but i dont know if anybody was at a preseason game,think it was 68-69, we played either clyde or morton..not many fans,but at half time,2 jocks walked onto the pitch,south bank,with a crate of beer,yes a crate,also with a plastic ball, then played kick about with each other by the goal..was anybody at this game,or was i a drunk 11 year then!!

Back