• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FA Cup away to Mansfield in the early 70s, losing 2-1, Gary Moore hitting the bar and bouncing down on the line, Mansfield away to Man U in the next round. Another one around that time, Swindon 0 Southend 2, with Don Rogers playing for them. Division 4, Southend 7 Workington 0, with Eddie Clayton watching in the stands before signing. Seven points needed for promotion with seven games to play and they blew it. I hope I remembered it right, sooooo long ago!
I'm afraid your memory is not very good:after that 1968-9 defeat at Mansfield(we beat Swindon in the 3rd round),they beat West Ham 3-0 in the next(5th)round.The Workington win was 1967-8 and Clayton's 3rd game for us-he scored twice!

First game at the New Den - Millwall 1-4 SUFC (held back by the stewards for some time after spoiling the party !)

96/97 season SUFC 5 v Bolton 2 - I have it in my head that Mike Marsh scored with a superb curling finish - happy days !

Yes, in retrospect I wish Trundle's effort from the halfway line had gone in and not hit the bar. He deserved a goal that day. Of course the following season he got his revenge, so to speak. He was on the winning side and totally unplayable.

Losing 8-0 at Crystal Palace in the league cup 1st leg.....and i had already bought my ticket for the second leg.

Is that your record defeat? I only ask because ours is (possibly also) an 8-0 shellacking from the self-same team.

On another tangent - but perhaps vaguely interesting - Southend are one of only three sides ever to have played a regulation league fixture at Wembley Stadium, fact fans.

Is that your record defeat? I only ask because ours is (possibly also) an 8-0 shellacking from the self-same team.

On another tangent - but perhaps vaguely interesting - Southend are one of only three sides ever to have played a regulation league fixture at Wembley Stadium, fact fans.

I think we knew that. And up until last season it was the only time we had played at Wembley.

Now, who did we knock out in the semi?

:winking:

Back