• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

39759.jpg

31401.jpg

3891008_orig.jpg

padova.jpg

9560572_orig.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 2986

I hope no one is offended by this photo which I found on another site!
There are a number of Blues connections and a very young world cup winner! I found it when googling my first favourite player. It probably dates from about 1960. He is the second player from the left in the back row. There is a co signing in front of him _ one to the right and another connection on the far right of the front row even though he did not play for us !

You are referring of course to Derek Woodley & Mick Beesley. Mick is sitting next to a young Martin Peters, with Brian Dear seated on the far right. I played against Derek Woodley a couple of times when he turned out for Priory Athletic in the 70s.

My first one was at Colchester in 1968 (i think), when we lost 4-0!. Even more painful!. Only things i remember was that the attendance was over 10,000, our regular full backs, Tony Bentley & Graham Birks were out injured, and at half time our massive support left their end and walked around the pitch to the open end!.

Trevor was sent of for decking their forward.

You are referring of course to Derek Woodley & Mick Beesley. Mick is sitting next to a young Martin Peters, with Brian Dear seated on the far right. I played against Derek Woodley a couple of times when he turned out for Priory Athletic in the 70s.

If memory serves me correct, Derek Woodley was a good 'right winger', but had no other 'tricks?'. Mike Beesley could play in various positions, but never seemed to be a crowd favourite?.

22nd December 1991. Div 2 v Cambridge. Southend are fifth in the league. Can they win to go second in front of a 9353 crowd?

Last edited:
Finally gone through this thread (though still have loads of footage to catch up with).

Simply love this photo. What the North Bank was all about. Love the Doncaster keeper and defender flat on the ground :-

Sorry but couldn't resist re-posting King Billy

Still remember that sign that used to hang up from the roof. Something like EJ Teddy Smith 1956 or something like that.

Couple of other memories. On page 1 there was the Zenit Leningrad programme.

Remember the old programme shop opposite the traffic lights on the corner of Priory Park. Always used to go in there before the matches and they used to sell bundles of programmes for 5p. Without fail, they ALWAYS had that programme in them!

Wonderful thread and so many memories, especially the aerial photos of the grounds.

Last edited:
Finally gone through this thread (though still have loads of footage to catch up with).
Still remember that sign that used to hang up from the roof. Something like EJ Teddy Smith 1956 or something like that.

EJ Grant 1956 was on the sign you are referring to. I remember it, because that was our meeting place.

Wonderful times indeed!

That was the place to stand. Right under that sign.

So many great memories, like you say.

One I thought of today was a game against Birmingham City, around the 1990-91 season, I think.

We were 1-0 down and were pressing and pressing for an equalizer when a cross came in and Bertie Angle met it perfectly, sending everyone nuts.

A minute later we got the winner. Think it was a comedy own goal, as well. Place just went mad!!

Last edited:
One of the happier moments of Alvin Martin's terrible reign. Adrian Clarke scores from an unusual free kick, but the goalie should have got that one.

Last edited:
Back