• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As others have mentioned I presume the game is the cup tie against Newport. The south bank looks reasonably well populated, this must be due to the lure of a cup tie as the league crowds were dire in those days. How times have changed, now stands are closed for cup ties!

Basildon United IIRC

Not sure where he went after leaving Basildon , but we appear to have signed him from Walsall
Used to play against Dave Matthews,together with Garry Nelson,Adrian Owers—Chapel United,Vets LG.over-45 division.

A nice photo of Dave Smith. Quite a character I was told and in general a happy chappy.
CTD_X5-WsAA6Jh0.jpg

Hi
Can anyone provide info of a gorden Francis Emerson who I'm told played in goal for Southend I think at some point after the war (born 1926) ??? Any info appreciated

Hi 'in the know'. This is the best I have found for former Southend players, although it may not be 100% accurate. I looked through all the squads for the years after and even just before the 2nd World war, but couldn't find your man.
https://www.11v11.com/teams/southend-united/tab/players/season/1945/

I believe my mum has a picture of the team somewhere but she's elderly with dementia so locating it may not be easy!
If I find it I'll post it on here as it may provoke more info
Thanks again

Southend on the attack in front of the South Bank. The source says v QPR 1955, but we wore that kit in the 1957/58 season. It also looks like a much bigger crowd than the 15,000 for that QPR match.
Large

southend_united_1957-1958.gif

Southend on the attack in front of the South Bank. The source says v QPR 1955, but we wore that kit in the 1957/58 season. It also looks like a much bigger crowd than the 15,000 for that QPR match.
Large

southend_united_1957-1958.gif

If it was the game in 1955 it was on the 19th Nov 1955 in the FA Cup 1st round which we won 2 - 0 with Barker & Hollis scoring.

But looking at how the supporters are dressed some in short sleeves shirts, it could be 31st August 1957 against QPR in League Div 3 South with a attendance 15,883 we won 6 - 0 scorers Crossan(2), McCrory(2), Hollls, & McGuigan.

Last edited:
Good to see supporters there wearing a suit & tie to enter the hallowed terraces of Roots Hall! :thumbsup:

What a great photo. If I had a time machine I'd love to go back in time and go to a game just after Roots Hall opened.
That was my first ever game !! FACup November 1955.Def. not 1957-58 as our no.11 is Johnny McGuigan, not short,bald Bill Punton,who came later to us in exchange for McGuigan!

That was my first ever game !! FACup November 1955.Def. not 1957-58 as our no.11 is Johnny McGuigan, not short,bald Bill Punton,who came later to us in exchange for McGuigan!

If that is the case, I reckon it must have been the warmest November day on record....I can see a young boy in the crowd in a tee-shirt. Wonder if people were getting themselves into an irrational panic about global warming back in the fifties?

Back