• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I had the dubious task of going round those old wooden seats sticking the Gold transfer numbers on them all..

Tue 23rd Sept 1986. Littlewoods Cup v Man City. It finished 0-0 in front of 9,373 fans.
southend%20away%20league%20cup%201986%20to%2087%20action.jpg

Part of the South Stand(Weeds included) and the East Stand ,only seated area at that time in the 1970s. The Paddock at the bottom of the East Stand was standing as well. A few on here have mentioned before that they used to stand in the Paddock. I bet younger fans are wondering what they're on about. Here's the answer.
southend-united-roots-hall-east-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

Watched my first few games from the North Paddock. The game against QPR FAC3 I was allowed to stand on the steps leading up to the yellow/reds, so that I could actually see the game. The attendance was over 18,000 I believe.

You could be right Zeuss, but so could the later game theory be right. The kit was different to that shown in the photo for the 55/56 season. The weather looks too mild for November. The crowd looks too big for 15,000. Also, McGuigan was still playing in the 57/58 season. You are spot on about him and Punton being swapped(McGuigan to Newcastle) but that was in July 1958 for the 58/59 season. https://www.11v11.com/teams/southend-united/tab/players/season/1958/
Yes ,you’re right about when we cashed in on McG.The attendances are not a relevant factor(800 difference)but it does look like August weather—we werent(aware of) being endangered by climate change in those days.
It definitely didn’t rain at all on the occasion of my first ever game(as a spectator,that is).
What finally convinces me that it’s not the 1955 Cup-tie is that I can’t spot myself “on the wall”to the right of the goal!I watched from the paddock in 1957.

To be truly accurate, you would say North Paddock or South Paddock.

Watched my first few games from the North Paddock. The game against QPR FAC3 I was allowed to stand on the steps leading up to the yellow/reds, so that I could actually see the game. The attendance was over 18,000 I believe.

Indeed, I had my first season tickets in the East blues, but moved down to the North Paddock in about 1975, the QPR game I saw from the seats, but I think it was the end of that season I moved down to standing. And that kind of goes to show that, whilst some of us prefer to sit now, we have actually "been there, done that"!

The Millwall home game in 75/76, I stood in the South Paddock, on account it being the only safe place in the ground!

Millwall 75/76 I was in the South Bank. I knew we were in trouble when Dave Crump suggested " When it comes on top we will have to jump on top of that tea-bar and start swinging those scaffold poles about". The evening went downhill from there.

Nobber whatever happened to Dave Crump...last time I saw him I think he was involved in the Cherry Tree pub many years ago? He was always an arse in those days..lol

We used to meet at his Mums in Chelmsford avenue (lovely lady) with Dave, Graham Wigmore, Ambrose, Squirel, Glen Moody and a few others in those days before a game or at the Sutton Arms with to many faces to mention..

I spent a few years in the South Paddock, stood near to Dennis the milkman, his dad Ernie and a gent called Brian. The first time I met that knowledgeable chap Brian Cotgrove ---- certainly knew everything back then.

I spent a few years in the South Paddock, stood near to Dennis the milkman, his dad Ernie and a gent called Brian. The first time I met that knowledgeable chap Brian Cotgrove ---- certainly knew everything back then.

No, you've got that all wrong. Ernie was the milkman and it wasn't the South !

Millwall 75/76 I was in the South Bank. I knew we were in trouble when Dave Crump suggested " When it comes on top we will have to jump on top of that tea-bar and start swinging those scaffold poles about". The evening went downhill from there.

Yes, I've covered that game on here a couple of times. I was in the North Bank when about 200 broke the big blue gate down and piled into us. What made it worse was there was only about 30 of us as the floodlights had only just gone on as it was well early, and they all seemed to be mid twenties, some pulled out dockers hooks at the front. We were all teenagers and a few younger lads. The only safe place that night was the East Stand seats and the North Paddock. They were on a revenge mission apparently.

Back