• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I remember playing Swansea at home in the FA Cup in the 1970's and a lot of them turned up in white coats, but I don't recall us lot wearing them very often, I agree.

sosborne is right. The White butchers coats were not about at the time of the QPR game. The last season I remember them was the 1971/72 season, as they were worn at the infamous Gillingham away game at the end of the promotion season. They died out quickly after that.

The replay was good fun as well. Remember there was a free for all when we got back to Southend Central I've never seen so many people getting off the station without a ticket.

You all had a lucky escape at Liv St underground on way back. There were couple of carriages full of us, with 'antics' occurring. I got off to go upstairs to the mainline track, as had a season ticket to Rayleigh.
As I was walking up the escalator, loads of 'old bill' were running down it the other side, to no doubt 'nick' some of us. Fortunately I heard the tube pull out, whilst they were still on their way down.

You all had a lucky escape at Liv St underground on way back. There were couple of carriages full of us, with 'antics' occurring. I got off to go upstairs to the mainline track, as had a season ticket to Rayleigh.
As I was walking up the escalator, loads of 'old bill' were running down it the other side, to no doubt 'nick' some of us. Fortunately I heard the tube pull out, whilst they were still on their way down.

Yep that's right we all had to change at Mile End to get to Barking. If you didn't have tickets Barking was the best way back after games. Sometimes it could get a bit hairy after Saturday games as West Ham would be waiting.

The 1946/47 Season, at the Grainger Road Greyhound Stadium. We finish 8th in Division 3 South.
squad46-47.png

This was the kit.
southend_united_1936-1954.gif

Summary of Season 1946-47

Before the season started Mr. Harry Warren admitted that he did not think that the players available were together enough to seriously challenge for promotion. At other times such defeatism would be frowned on, but Mr Warrens frank comments were honestly meant and honestly accepted. With many players still in the services and youngsters due to go in, selecting a team and targeting players was not at all easy. Nevertheless as the season progressed it was clear that the Blues had some talented players available to them and by November they had risen to fourth place in the League a position they held until April and only a slight slip at the final hurdle meant they finished eighth, still a creditable placing. Added to that the high scoring cup run culminating in the cup tie at Everton, added greatly to the clubs reputation but also alerted other clubs to the quality of the players. Harry Warren had assembled a squad of players who wanted to play for Southend, with local men like Walton, Dudley and Thompson, and players that had proved their loyalty to the club since before the war such as Jackson, Sibley, Hankey and Lane, and useful acquisitions such as Montgomery who clearly demonstrated his desire to play for the United, even before he was transferred. Despite sitting in fourth place in the League for the majority of the season promotion was never a reality especially after Christmas. Cardiff were safely lodged in top spot, and only QPR who finished second looked like they had any chance of catching them. Southend finished 22 points (or 11 wins) behind Cardiff, so perhaps Mr. Warrens pre season comments were correct.

My dear friend Howard Upham (RIP) went to that Gillingham game (probably with his Leigh Comm friends) he was on a high for weeks after raving about it.

I wonder who is the oldest Southend United palyer still alive (no shouts for Anton please) - anyone know?

Not quite sure who our oldest SUEPA member is as I don't know the dob for them all - possibly Buster Footman who I think is now 80. Billy Best is 75, Frankie Banks 73 and Derek Bellotti 71, and Frank Mathews is prob mid 70's. Trying to get Tony Bentley to sign - he is 78.

Would like to sign Sid Broomfield up fpr SUEPA, he is now 83.

Any one remember this?

I think from this 5 yards out

GM_01.jpg
The ball flew over the open goal and Gary ended up in the net

GM 02.jpg

So he was pretty happy when this happened
GM(3).jpg

and even happier with the winner!
BB (2).jpg

Back