• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The only thing that spared the guy the red on Cox was that it was so far from goal. I think the free kick was taken about 15 yards back from where Cox finally went down.

I thought the players all lost concentration after the first 20 minutes as they became frustrated as every fifty-fifty ball ended up as a free kick for Oldham. Bizarrely by the end of the game Oldham had conceded 17 fouls to our 13 - half of which must have been Clark holding Ranger.

Oldham had one plan were very organised and kept it tight with two sound centre backs and an experienced midfield. However once they conceded they folded as they knew they would never get back into it. Pace and running at defenders won the game for us -and a great hard low cross from the line.

The McGlashan penalty was bit like the one he didn't get at Millwall. If you're running at pace it only take a slight nudge to knock you off balance Maybe Mr Fitch thought he owed us one after Gillingham.

When you look at the starting line up and the way that 11 plays you think nothing should stop us reaching the play offs - but you can't control the ref, and unexpected suspensions nor injuries. Brown said Ranger rolled his ankle and Ferdinand is still struggling.

Fair dos to Brown and the positive substitutions - that pace when the opposition are getting knackered made the difference.

What I fail to understand though, is how he can give that but not give the one on the guy who fouled Cox when through...surely he was last man so it has to be a red card offence?

Agreed - I cannot understand how it was a yellow card....unless I misunderstand the rules it has to be a red card or no card....there can't be any doubt that Cox was clear on goal, he was in the middle of the pitch with no one else near him, so either it was a deliberate foul and a red card or an accidental foul and no card....the yellow card just summed up the refs whole performance he either bottled it or was cheating.

The Law talks about "obvious goal scoring opportunity". So in the ref's mind Cox must have had an obvious goal scoring opportunity. He would have considered where Cox was when he was fouled and whether he had the ball. Cox didn't actually have the ball, he was running onto it, and that in the ref's mind probably removed the "obvious" bit. That then just leaves a foul, which was a trip with no intent to win the ball. And that's a yellow all day long.

That said, I still think its a red because in my mind Cox would have got the ball and carried onto have an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Oh, and Ranger was offside for his goal by about a yard.....

Funny about the Ranger goal, that was my first instinct, as well.

That lino certainly paid us back for his 'mare at Gillingham! :thumbsup:

What I found funny about the penalty was Timlin. You can see in the highlights that he runs over to the ref and points to the linesman. He the gestures as if to say "what took you so long?". The ref actually wasn't going to give anything. He must have seen it and decided it wasn't worth a penalty until the linesman (correctly IMO) got involved. Timlin's reaction said it all.

I thought the trip on McGlashan at Millwall was a million times more a penalty than Saturday. He went down very easily looking for it, but it was probably the right decision.

Even on the highlights Ranger looks offside. Either that lino was making amends for Gillingham or is (more likely), just plain incompetent.

Though the yellow card for the foul on Cox when he was through on goal was an abysmal cop-out,it wasn't quite the very worst of his many wrong decisions.With the first-half "hand-ball" he gave,no-one could know if it was the right or the left hand as the ball hit our player,bang in the middle of his chest!

Though the yellow card for the foul on Cox when he was through on goal was an abysmal cop-out,it wasn't quite the very worst of his many wrong decisions.With the first-half "hand-ball" he gave,no-one could know if it was the right or the left hand as the ball hit our player,bang in the middle of his chest!

It also has to be deliberate

The Law talks about "obvious goal scoring opportunity". So in the ref's mind Cox must have had an obvious goal scoring opportunity. He would have considered where Cox was when he was fouled and whether he had the ball. Cox didn't actually have the ball, he was running onto it, and that in the ref's mind probably removed the "obvious" bit. That then just leaves a foul, which was a trip with no intent to win the ball. And that's a yellow all day long.

That said, I still think its a red because in my mind Cox would have got the ball and carried onto have an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Oh, and Ranger was offside for his goal by about a yard.....

Clearly you meant should :blush:

Back