• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on our standing alongside our friends from up North? In terms of infrastructure, ability and indeed a viable future; are Col Ewe now light-years ahead of us? One thing that remains unchanged is potential fanbase in which we are (for the moment) and always have been streets ahead. Putting aside any prejudices for the moment can we admire the stability of the carrot crunchers and ability to get results against sides with resourses that far exceed their own? Thoughts?

How can anyone think Colchester have a viable future when they're entirely bankrolled, and by an individual who has committed to withdraw that funding in the near future?

They'll be back in the non league where they belong in no time.

You are asking us to admire those 6 fingered freaks from the Care in the Community stadium .. what sort of reaction did you expect ??

By the way the answer to your question is NO

Anyone want to venture anything more than a one word answer. Or is Shrimperzone now a completely closed forum for all but regular posters?

Come off it, Max. It'll be a cold day in hell before I have a civil word to say for our neighbours to the North.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on our standing alongside our friends from up North? In terms of infrastructure, ability and indeed a viable future; are Col Ewe now light-years ahead of us? One thing that remains unchanged is potential fanbase in which we are (for the moment) and always have been streets ahead. Putting aside any prejudices for the moment can we admire the stability of the carrot crunchers and ability to get results against sides with resourses that far exceed their own? Thoughts?

Bring bankrolled kinda helps.

Good post :thumbsup:
It's certainly a strange one. I think we'll have to go backwards to go forward. Certainy the new training ground is what everyone seems to be banking on to reap the rewards. Many a championship side would love to have our facilities. I can see what the club are trying to do but it's so frustrating at the moment. Cowling is not the messiah though (he is a very naughty boy). The training ground is from what I can gather an "extra" so he can build more houses. Still, he has when ever I have spoken to him always been a straight talking chap and seemed quite genuine.
Having said that, I'd love to see Southend get their new ground (this decade would be nice Ron). Need to get the Essex derby back.

Their bankrolling is diminishing season on season and I think it will be a long, hard season for them. Their fans constantly complain about a lack of entertainment from John Ward, and a lot of them wanted him out last season.

Their gates are still worse than ours despite a new stadium (which draws constant complaints due to its location and car park problems) and they play in a kit that resembles a Tesco carrier bag.

So, the answer is no they are not light years away from us. Football can change very quickly and this time next year it's not impossible that we may have swapped divisions, however unlikely that seems at the moment.

Back