• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Onlilne petion for Remeberance Monday

Valid point Grouty ... supposedly they strung some bloke up on a friday about 1975 years ago, but if such a monumental event really took place surely they'd know which bloomin' month it happened*!!!

* with mild apologies to any cross huggers out there who i just offended :angel:

I think Easter's date is related to the moon, or the sun (another ancient holiday taken over by Christianity)

Back to more important matters, signed! It's an embarassment with our proud military history that we don't have a bank holiday to remember. Our armed forces not only helped build our Empire (well, more protect it really) but did a better job of policing the globe than certain other countries have managed! Not only as a combined and well disciplined fighting force, but through acts of individual heroism and self sacrifice.

Whether you believe that we were right to do what we did or not is irrelevant, the fact is that over the years British servicemen have shown the world characteristics to make us proud.

I think Easter's date is related to the moon, or the sun (another ancient holiday taken over by Christianity)

Back to more important matters, signed! It's an embarassment with our proud military history that we don't have a bank holiday to remember. Our armed forces not only helped build our Empire (well, more protect it really) but did a better job of policing the globe than certain other countries have managed! Not only as a combined and well disciplined fighting force, but through acts of individual heroism and self sacrifice.

Whether you believe that we were right to do what we did or not is irrelevant, the fact is that over the years British servicemen have shown the world characteristics to make us proud.

Yup "Easter" is basically an old pagan festival to the Goddess Ovida (what's French for egg basically) (plus Easter is literally that which comes from the east the rising sun new life etc.) And they used Lunar calenders back then .

Indeed , we could have something very similar to Anzac day ?

Yup "Easter" is basically an old pagan festival to the Goddess Ovida (what's French for egg basically) (plus Easter is literally that which comes from the east the rising sun new life etc.) And they used Lunar calenders back then .

Indeed , we could have something very similar to Anzac day ?

I might've guessed you'd be lurking as soon as I touched on paganism ;)

A Rememberance Day BH would be an appropriate choice, and I've added my name. It's also perfectly placed in the calendar between August BH and Christmas so should appeal to the public in general, even those who don't understand what it's commemorating.

Easter is The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox.

The Vernal Equinox is around March 20th so Easter will always be between March 20th and April 17th.
This year Easter is at one of its earliests as the Equinox is the 20/3 the Full moon is 21/3 so Easter is the Sunday after , 23/3

Anyone else receive an email response to this? Seems they're not keen on linking it to Rememberance Sunday, but to Veterans Day - can't see the logic, plus would give us another BH in the 1st half of the year.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page15994.asp

Got that respons too, only had a brief read through it but seems the problem lies with the Royal British Legion not wishing the solemnity of Remembrance day to become trivialised by the frivolity of a public holiday.

Personally I feel they're missing a trick, have the Sunday to remember those that have fallen, and the Monday to celebrate what they have given us. A bit like a funeral/Wake only over two days

Originally Posted by C C Csiders
If we have another Bank Holiday surely we would want it in the summer, say in the middle of July) rather than on a wet, bleak, blowy November Monday?

The whole point is it would be all about Remembrance Sunday, not just a day off so you can go to the beach.

Personally I dont think enough young people actually realise the massive scale of what happened last century particularly in the 14-18 and 39-45 wars, and the loss of life and sacrifice made by ordinary people.

For this, I blame the education system. I dont recall learning anything about the World Wars when I was at school in Hisotry, it was all about Kings and Queens who lived a billion years ago and to whom i could not relate.

Sort it out! Rant over.

For this, I blame the education system. I dont recall learning anything about the World Wars when I was at school in Hisotry, it was all about Kings and Queens who lived a billion years ago and to whom i could not relate.

Sort it out! Rant over.

Actually, in most of the junior/primary schools that I know of locally, they do a pretty major history topic on WW2 in year 6, and my daughter's opted for GCSE history, which includes Modern World History 1919 -1945 and British History 1906-1918 as a major part of the syllabus. Opportunities are there now if schools (and students) wish to take them, but maybe this has been missing in schools in recent years.

Actually, in most of the junior/primary schools that I know of locally, they do a pretty major history topic on WW2 in year 6, and my daughter's opted for GCSE history, which includes Modern World History 1919 -1945

Thats great news. In my opinion its far better for them to learn something they can relate to and possibly visit places like Normandy and hopefully have a feeling of it all happening close to thier lifetime rather than hundreds of years ago.

Thats great news. In my opinion its far better for them to learn something they can relate to and possibly visit places like Normandy and hopefully have a feeling of it all happening close to thier lifetime rather than hundreds of years ago.

Indeed, and her school recently did a day trip over that included visits to the war graves in France.

The whole point is it would be all about Remembrance Sunday, not just a day off so you can go to the beach.

Personally I dont think enough young people actually realise the massive scale of what happened last century particularly in the 14-18 and 39-45 wars, and the loss of life and sacrifice made by ordinary people.

Sort it out! Rant over.

Nah, I remember watching a "Schools and Volleges" programme when I was at school in the 1980's about the WW2 years and having to write a weekly report on it. I vividly remember the one about Pre-Fab houses.....

History isnt about replating to what occured just recording and documenting them !
Mind you to know abuit the Kings and Queens is good as their normaly the ones who started the war's .

Also WW1 FInished in 1919 offically
WWII continuted untill 46 with the Burma/Japanese campaign and didnt offically finish untill the reunification of Germany nearly 50 years later ;)

Also to discover the causes of the wars are far more important then the wars themseleves.

And like MK i leanrt all about WWI and WWII in school ;)

History isnt about replating to what occured just recording and documenting them !
But children at school dont record and document what happened they just learn about it. The point is surely its easier for them to learn about something that happened more recently.

But children at school dont record and document what happened they just learn about it. The point is surely its easier for them to learn about something that happened more recently.

Well actually yes they do , thats how (or should be ) taught the subject

And not really no , technicaly its easier to teach them what their most engagded or excited by . And contempory studies (which is what your refering to ) dont fall into historcal learning. This then also comes down to how exciting the teacher can make the subject as well but thast differnetly entirly (rmeember Johnny Ball made mathmatics exciting)

Children remain motivated and excited to learn about specific periods in history - namely the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome and the Tudor dynasty. The Victorian era has its place also, but much of the rest of our history is barely touched on in school up to KS2.

Back