• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Online bullies

mrsblue

Banned
Last few days we have been bombarded with tales of people being abused and threatened with all manner of violence,Yesterday it was revealed a young girl took her life over so called Internet bullies.

The easy thing to do is stop using these sites or have a complete break from the online world or just ignore the trolls.

I imagine most kids would rather be sent to an austere Christian military boarding school on a remote Scottish island than stop using social media.

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't all forms of bullying cause some kids to commit suicide? Why does the media focus on cyber bullying?

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't all forms of bullying cause some kids to commit suicide? Why does the media focus on cyber bullying?

Cyber bullying has to be more common now because its far easier to bully someone now if you dont even have to do it to their face. Everyone knows bullies are cowards, the fact they can bully online without any recourse just allows them to do it with even less comeback.

You just have to look at twitter and the comments boards of news sites to see just what idiots there are out there. Its too easy for the morons to sit behind keyboards slagging others off when they would never do the same in person.

Vulnerable people take their own life mainly because they cannot cope with life,The media IMO jump onto any bandwagon to justify their own standing,The Internet currently is in the frame but every individual has the choice with the off button.

So called celeb's boycotted Twitter for one day in the wake of threat's to other user's,These minor celeb's need to get out more.

Some very vunerable kids out there that really shouldn't be on sites like Ask.fm, though how the creators of such ***** sleep easy at night is beyond me.

My daughter was subjected to cyber bullying through msn back when she was in year 7, there's very little you can do outside of parental controls to stop them using social networking sites. They all have phones these days, and, while I know you can set parental controls on computers and laptops, I don't know about phones, although I'm sure plenty of you do. Anyway, she's 19 now so I really have no say in what she does!

I think the focus is on it because it is so much easier to do and seems to be done by and to younger and younger people. Back in the day, bullying used to involve a bit of threatening behaviour, a bit of taunting, maybe some actual blows - but it nearly all had to be done face to face. The internet revolution has made it all so much easier to do your bullying remotely.

We've had plenty of youngsters on here and yet there is officially an age limit to join. It's just unenforceable because kids will usually lie about their age to achieve their goal. Same as Facebook, I can't believe the age of some of the kids at our (junior) school that openly have FB accounts, I don't understand how their parents can let them - and we've had bullying via FB too, which inevitably, WE have to deal with because so many parents see everything as our problem! We teach the kids internet safety and security, and while they may practise that in school, it's down to their parents to ensure they are safe on the net at home.

Just not being online is not the complete answer though.

You can be bullied and tormented even if you personally dont login. If I were spreading malicious rumours about someone online that would still get back to them at school etc even if they didnt have a computer.

The actual problem is its far easy to bully or abuse people now without any risk and unfortunately there are too many idiots in this world.

Like anything in life make the deterrent strong and enforceable. I actually see online bullying as a worse mental crime than most other forms. Out here in HK you could quite easily enforce registration by the use of ID card access only - wouldn't totally stop it but if the genuine ID owner also tried to log in you'd pick up the fraudsters. Sadly the PC brigade don't get ID cards. There is ZERO downside with them.

Like anything in life make the deterrent strong and enforceable. I actually see online bullying as a worse mental crime than most other forms. Out here in HK you could quite easily enforce registration by the use of ID card access only - wouldn't totally stop it but if the genuine ID owner also tried to log in you'd pick up the fraudsters. Sadly the PC brigade don't get ID cards. There is ZERO downside with them.

Not just the "PC" brigade, a lot of those with politics to the right of centre don't want them.

And what punishment would you give to a bored 12yr old who thinks he's being funny?

You're serious right?

I don't want an ID card. I already have a passport, a driving licence, an Oyster card, etc etc.

I don't want another layer of Government-controlled bureaucracy that can see what I have been doing and when. That is my business and not anyone else's.

Not just the "PC" brigade, a lot of those with politics to the right of centre don't want them.

And what punishment would you give to a bored 12yr old who thinks he's being funny?
That's exactly what the person was who was bullying my daughter!

Players and hustlers don't recognise ID cards.

On the street your reputation is your ID card.

You're serious right?

I don't want an ID card. I already have a passport, a driving licence, an Oyster card, etc etc.

I don't want another layer of Government-controlled bureaucracy that can see what I have been doing and when. That is my business and not anyone else's.

Yes I'm dead serious. Been operating under one for 18 months and it governs everything I do including fast track passport control out of and back into HK. Can't open a bank account , utilities or just about anything you need to consider to run your life. In the UK you would have added ability to almost eradicate benefit fraud and control immigration if we were joined up about it. Seriously I'm seeing pros far outweighing cons all for something the size of a credit card. Yes there is a surveillance "issue" but the country would also be safer having these than not. I have nothing to hide and of the belief that gov does not need an ID card to surveil me if overly concerned. Also if everything is linked to a single ID card beurocracy decreases and taxes can be reduced or spent elsewhere.

My friend Mic wrote this: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/micwright/100009614/blame-the-vile-bullies-not-ask-fm/

He' on Twitter as @brokenbottleboy and has been singled out by Caitlin Moran after he spoke out against her TwitterSilence: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/techno...-moran-is-wrong-writes-mr-a-telegraphblogger/

I know he's a friend of mine, but generally he speaks sense.

Anyone who called out Moran for her Twitter Silence nonsense is alright with me. @daftlimmy in particular played a ****ing blinder.

Can I report Yorkshrie Blue? He keeps picking on me mister :sad:

He has issues !

But let's not lose sight of main topic. I wrestled with my conscience with my kids and FB. Like anything in life parental guidance on how life works is essential. Sympathies with OBL and all teachers. Technology is partly to blame for de-construction of family life. Here in HK I see adults actively neglecting their kids who clearly want attention as getting to the next level on Candy Crush is clearly more important.

Parents should be licensed before allowing to breed. I say that only half in jest.

Back