• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Onwards and Upwards

Bad defending, bad refereeing, whatever you want to blame it on it's so frustrating to score two goals in each of our last two games and only come away with one point. Our back four has been unsettled due to form, injury and suspension and as a result we've leaked soft goals pretty much all season.

A feature of our two promotion seasons was a settled team and no little luck that injuries and suspensions never consistently derailed this. This year, a level up, the luck has changed and our lack of depth has been dramatically exposed. (However you want to dress it up, the fact is we had three players in today's starting 11 playing out of their preferred or normal positon: Hunt, Gower and Foran). We have tried to buy players and haven't, said we're going to loan players in and haven't. On top of this we've had to off-load several squad players who seem unhappy to stay and fight for a place in the team. This is all old ground that has been well covered on these boards but people have been right to be concerned about the lack of players coming in. Tilly and Brush have said numerous times they want and need players - they know the squad needs improving better than us - but for whatever reason they haven't come.

I'm sure Tilly has learned a hell of a lot this year and next time we're in the Championship, whether it be next year or not, I am positive we'll be a better team for it. Keep the faith, let's enjoy the rest of the season whatever may happen, and just be happy that our team is enjoying one of the most successful spells and stable managerial reigns in its history.

UTB

I agree at this time of season it would have been useful to maintain the same team with Hammell , Barrett and McCormack

Thing is whilst we are having two players out of position (Foran played on left all season) if we had had cover we still would have had an unsettled team.

With '3' players out of position Foran did ok, Hunt had one of his better games and Gower was the only one I thought struggled anyway.

Our squad is just too small to provide the quality and depth of cover for injuries and suspensions to the starting 11. We battled well yesterday but I felt that the team had an unbalanced feel overall. I certainly thought that Hunt, who recovered well as the game wore on, was easily drawn away from the left of defence by overly following the ball- Hughes was left free on our left on a number of occasions as he advanced. Having said that there is a sense of building for the future at the club that I have not known before- new stadium, long contracts for Tilly and Brush and, most importantly, a refusal to panic under pressure and jeopardise the club by bringing in players who may be too expensive for us to live with. Given that there are some good youth players coming through , I think we are witnessing the growth of a club that could be quite special, given luck.

I agree at this time of season it would have been useful to maintain the same team with Hammell , Barrett and McCormack

Thing is whilst we are having two players out of position (Foran played on left all season) if we had had cover we still would have had an unsettled team.

With '3' players out of position Foran did ok, Hunt had one of his better games and Gower was the only one I thought struggled anyway.

My point is that with a small squad it's crucial to retain a settled team - there is no choice. With proper cover, changing personnel doesn't have such a big impact on the team.

My point was also that players are playing out of their regular or preferred position. Foran has stated his preference for playing up front.

We have admirable and committed players who will fill in and do 'ok' out of position. But is this good enough for Championship football?

I'm sure that most of our players would prefer to play up front. I'm also sure that Mark Gower was a centre-midfielder most of the time for Barnet and when he was coming through the ranks at Spurs. So I wouldn't say that he is playing out of position either.

(However you want to dress it up, the fact is we had three players in today's starting 11 playing out of their preferred or normal positon: Hunt, Gower and Foran)

I'm sure that most of our players would prefer to play up front. I'm also sure that Mark Gower was a centre-midfielder most of the time for Barnet and when he was coming through the ranks at Spurs. So I wouldn't say that he is playing out of position either.

I'll say it again, however you dress it up, Gower was playing out of position - the position he's played for years. And Foran, a centre forward, is playing on the wing. They are good players and are doing a good job. I am not knocking them.

But our management is recently quoted as saying we need cover in defence, midfield and attack. Fact. That is acknowledgement of a lack of depth is it not?

So why some supporters seem to want to dig their heads in their sand and pretend everything is OK with our squad is frankly bizarre. And before anyone jumps on me for being negative, please take time to read my initial post.

No one is saying we dont have a lack of depth and I have read your initial post too. Saturday showed to me that whilst our squad is small and we could do with cover the players we had available were good enough to cover. Hunt did fine, Foran did fine and Gower did ok.

Im n ot fussed we didnt have another natural left back as Hunt did a decent job, Foran has played left wing all season and Gower has done ok in the middle the past 3 games.

So for me everything is ok, Im not burying my head in the sand.

Would have been nice to have 3 players better than them to come in but I think they are as good as we could have expected reserve teamers to have been.

Now McCormacks back and Hammell probably fit for Saturday we have plenty of options again.

Hunt did fine, Foran did fine and Gower did ok.

Is "fine, fine and ok" good enough in a situation where we are having to win games to stay in the Championship?

But enough of this, I don't want to dwell on criticisms. I just want to start getting excited about Ipswich...

UTB

Yes fine is good enough when called in as a backup.

The good news is with McCormack and Hammell fit we hopefully can stop discussing it :)

Having them two ready for Saturday will give the whole team a lift.

i think we will stay up,as long as maher,and macca stay clear of red cards and injuries. but uncle Ron got to get his checkbook out next season,we cant go through another season with this size squad.

Back