• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oxley is terrible.

With a ball in the air with todays wind, you come out, clatter into a few players (don't even mind if they are your own team) catch the ball, if you don't , then you fall over and win a free kick.
We are too naive , all over the pitch, not just the goalkeeper.

An example how many times did their keeper catch the ball then fall on it to waste time ?

My friend and I rarely agree on anything Shrimpers related. However, we did agree that at the end of last season we let our best keeper go in Smith. The problem is, how many can a club like ours have on their books?

What’s this love in about Ted Smith that I keep seeing all about?
I call it the Princess Diana effect. Whether Timlin, MAF, Theo and now Smith, when they leave they suddenly become superstars. Ironically, it’s the opposite with players of genuine quality who move up. Lots of bitching then.

Regarding Smith, he was very promising but constant shoulder problems have in my opinion killed his career. It’s one of the worst possible injuries you can have as a goalkeeper.

I call it the Princess Diana effect. Whether Timlin, MAF, Theo and now Smith, when they leave they suddenly become superstars. Ironically, it’s the opposite with players of genuine quality who move up. Lots of bitching then.

Regarding Smith, he was very promising but constant shoulder problems have in my opinion killed his career. It’s one of the worst possible injuries you can have as a goalkeeper.
Absolutely this.

However, I would say that Ted failed consistently, to bulk up in the way we have seen both Dan Bentley and Nathan Bishop do. As a result his physique, which had been a strength as a youngster, become less so as an adult.

Oxley’s a great shot stopper. Unfortunately he couldn’t catch a cold

The problem is, it would be difficult to find a keeper at this level that isn’t a good shot stopper. That should be every goalkeepers bread and butter... unfortunately I think Oxley offers that, and not much else.

The problem is, it would be difficult to find a keeper at this level that isn’t a good shot stopper. That should be every goalkeepers bread and butter... unfortunately I think Oxley offers that, and not much else.
Neville Southall was still a good shot stopper with us , movement not so good and not to many double saves

He is not as bad as most here are making out. We have had far worse keepers. Far better than Smith and on par with Bishop.

Absolutely this.

However, I would say that Ted failed consistently, to bulk up in the way we have seen both Dan Bentley and Nathan Bishop do. As a result his physique, which had been a strength as a youngster, become less so as an adult.

His injury would have stopped him from bulking up. Personally I would have given him another season (to see if he is over his injuries and allow him to bulk up) and may be loan him out and check on progress at the end of this season.

I think in terms of their actual ability they’re 50/50 right now but Bish has youth on his side to improve. The biggest difference to me is how they respond to a mistake. Oxley will make another one but it’s water off a ducks back to Bishop

I can't be the only one on here who has seen plenty of free kicks given for that two man challenge on Oxley for the first goal.....The one Cox had disallowed at Yeovil would be a good example.

The sad thing was our fans weren't appealing and even worse nor were the players. The ref had already shown us he could be influenced by the late card to Ralph for the free kick. Blackpool took full advantage and in the end were actually laying on the floor and taking the P*** out of him.

Not that it mattered but with 6 second half subs (30 seconds per sub) he only added 5 mins......The sending off that he dithered over took at least 2 minutes.

Elvis was off balance and their bloke spotted that and clearly went in to hurt him....Again it was only Cox from our team that reacted....Something doesn't seem right....We shall see.

I can't be the only one on here who has seen plenty of free kicks given for that two man challenge on Oxley for the first goal.....The one Cox had disallowed at Yeovil would be a good example.

The sad thing was our fans weren't appealing and even worse nor were the players. The ref had already shown us he could be influenced by the late card to Ralph for the free kick. Blackpool took full advantage and in the end were actually laying on the floor and taking the P*** out of him.

Not that it mattered but with 6 second half subs (30 seconds per sub) he only added 5 mins......The sending off that he dithered over took at least 2 minutes.

Elvis was off balance and their bloke spotted that and clearly went in to hurt him....Again it was only Cox from our team that reacted....Something doesn't seem right....We shall see.
Agree with your last comment, for s team with all these ‘new’ leaders... there didn’t look like there was much fight for a battle or the mentality to be stand up and counted out there today . Until we sign someone with an a******e ... we will be a walk over yet again, this isn’t the premier league this is true grit English 3rd division

Back