• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brilliant signing! Best keeper in the league!! And I'm glad we have ted as number 2 and won't let anyone down! Looking good! Powell can sign players somthing Brown struggled to do

Brilliant signing! Best keeper in the league!! And I'm glad we have ted as number 2 and won't let anyone down! Looking good! Powell can sign players somthing Brown struggled to do

not forgetting of course that it was Brown who signed him in the first place.
this is down to the chairman so it's he who deserves any thanks going round.

not forgetting of course that it was Brown who signed him in the first place.
this is down to the chairman so it's he who deserves any thanks going round.

Harsh criticism of Brown, he signed some very good players actually.

I’m pleased Oxley has signed and the stability that gives us , but I will ‘buck the trend’ here and say whilst I think he’s a decent keeper , I certainly don’t think he’s ‘great’.
My biggest concern is that a 3 year deal could harm the progression of some of the young keepers we have , many of which have received glowing reports.
Apologies if my opinion causes any dismay and realise I am seemingly alone in my view.

My biggest concern is that a 3 year deal could harm the progression of some of the young keepers we have , many of which have received glowing reports.
Apologies if my opinion causes any dismay and realise I am seemingly alone in my view.
Fair point on this, both Ted and Nathan need to be getting game time so one or other of them definitely needs to go out on loan.

I’m pleased Oxley has signed and the stability that gives us , but I will ‘buck the trend’ here and say whilst I think he’s a decent keeper , I certainly don’t think he’s ‘great’.

I think it’s more to do with Ron protecting his resale value. He made a comment last season that we signed too many older players and I think Oxley is the type of player he wants here, as he’s on the way up in his career and still has resale value. If Ox has another very strong season in league one and we don’t get promotion, he would undoubtedly get interest from higher up and we would be in a strong position to negotiate a decent price for him. I too have also worried about the progress of our young keepers being harmed, but I think this is a great bit of business for us.

I think it’s more to do with Ron protecting his resale value. He made a comment last season that we signed too many older players and I think Oxley is the type of player he wants here, as he’s on the way up in his career and still has resale value. If Ox has another very strong season in league one and we don’t get promotion, he would undoubtedly get interest from higher up and we would be in a strong position to negotiate a decent price for him. I too have also worried about the progress of our young keepers being harmed, but I think this is a great bit of business for us.

Really? What's the going price for a late 20s League One keeper? I can't imagine it's much (although I underestimated Bentley's transfer value, so I may not be the most accurate judge).

If he was going to move it was going to be this year when he was out of contract, not next year.

Really? What's the going price for a late 20s League One keeper? I can't imagine it's much (although I underestimated Bentley's transfer value, so I may not be the most accurate judge).

If he was going to move it was going to be this year when he was out of contract, not next year.

I wouldn't rule it out. If he gives us a season of the standard he produced at the end of 17/18 then he will be in demand and will get a better contract than he would now.

If we sell him on we would get back any of the wages we pay next season and a whole lot more.

Oxley will be a great example to any of our young keepers. He has just won POTY and according to Ted is not just good to work with but a really great bloke as well.

Yes they may have to go on loan but like many other jobs, if you set high standards for young men that is always a good thing.

Goalkeepers play for a lot longer than outfield players though. I reckon a top class 28/29/30 year old league one keeper under contract could still fetch about 500k. A 29 year old keeper has still got about 5 or 6 seasons left in them at their prime.

Goalkeepers play for a lot longer than outfield players though. I reckon a top class 28/29/30 year old league one keeper under contract could still fetch about 500k. A 29 year old keeper has still got about 5 or 6 seasons left in them at their prime.

Are there (m)any examples over the last decade? I don't follow other clubs closely enough to know.

Goalkeeper Tommy Lee spent more than 9 and a half years at Chesterfield, although he retired at 31.

Stuart Nelson (36) made a few appearances for Gillingham last season, and has signed a new contract with Yeovil until 2020.

The oldest goalkeeper I can find that played at League One level was Neil Sullivan who was 43 years old when he played for Doncaster Rovers during their promotion winning season in 2013.
Incidentally David James (42) was also playing that season for Bournemouth when they got promoted along with the Donnies.

Ex Shrimper Simon Royce was 39 when he was still playing for Brentford back in 2011.

All in all, there have been 46 goalkeepers over the age of 35 playing at League One level over the last decade or so.

Last edited:
I think steve Mildenhall has only recently stopped playing in the last year or so. He'd be mid 30s by now I should think.

Just last season, 11 goalkeepers were over the age of 30

Joe Murphy, Bury FC (36)
Matt Gilks Scunthorpe United (35)
Ben Williams Blackpool (35)
Luke McCormick Plymouth Argyle (34)
Lewis Price Rotherham United (33)
Colin Doyle Bradford City (32)
Chris Neal Fleetwood Town (32)
Josh Lillis Rochdale AFC (30)
Rouven Sattelmaier Bradford City (30)
Kyle Letheren Plymouth Argyle (30)
Johnny Placide Oldham Athletic (30)

Goalkeeper Tommy Lee spent more than 9 and a half years at Chesterfield, although he retired at 31.

Stuart Nelson (36) made a few appearances for Gillingham last season, and has signed a new contract with Yeovil until 2020.

The oldest goalkeeper I can find that played at League One level was Neil Sullivan who was 43 years old when he played for Doncaster Rovers during their promotion winning season in 2013.
Incidentally David James (42) was also playing that season for Bournemouth when they got promoted along with the Donnies.

Ex Shrimper Simon Royce was 39 when he was still playing for Brentford back in 2011.

All in all, there have been 46 goalkeepers over the age of 35 playing at League One level over the last decade or so.

Apologies I wasn't clear, my question was about examples of League One keepers over the age of say 27 who went for half a million (or more).

I agree there are many who play over the age of 35. What I'm not sure about is the transfer value of a keeper in late 20s when stepping up. Stepping down will be common, stepping up when out of contract will be common but what I'm not sure about is stepping up whilst still under contract so a transfer fee has to be paid.

Apologies I wasn't clear, my question was about examples of League One keepers over the age of say 27 who went for half a million (or more).

I agree there are many who play over the age of 35. What I'm not sure about is the transfer value of a keeper in late 20s when stepping up. Stepping down will be common, stepping up when out of contract will be common but what I'm not sure about is stepping up whilst still under contract so a transfer fee has to be paid.

Oxley is a Championship keeper who is improving with age. Not sure what the argument is here. Keeping our player of the season who has a transfer value and is likely to be worth more next May can only be a good thing.....Surely?

Back