• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MR G

First XI⭐
Never really one to criticise players but this guy concerns me. Felt he was at fault for both goals yesterday and doesn't command the box at all. Time for Ted? Thoughts?

Not convinced Ted would save the first one either, it's the kind of shot most League 1 keepers will struggle with, the second is awful keeping though. I'd like to see Ted play Brighton, but just because Oxley isn't great doesn't mean Ted will be any better, he's still young and keepers like Bentley that are great despite a lack of experience are very rare. I hope people don't expect Ted to be Bentley's standard yet, because that pressure won't help him develop.

Doesn't inspire me. But then neither does the 10 in front of him.

I don't think Brighton would be the right game to bring Ted in, it may only be a cup game but it's fair to say it could be a very one sided game...

I was annoyed Brown brought him in against Wigan towards the end of last season, a free flowing, scoring team and as a young goalkeeper if you let three or four goals passed you it must hit your confidence hard as much as your coaches can say 'there's nothing you could do about that one...' I doubt that really helps.

He does have potential, the other thing is timing.

Don't think I can blame him for the 1st, but the guy should never have scored the 2nd from that angle with the keeper in front of him.

Always thought him a strange purchase - seemingly based on Brown having a connection with him years ago. But his career never seemed to develop and if you have to move to the Scottish first division, you are hardly in an upwards trajectory, especially when you lose your place in the side and are not rated by your supporters.

i question him on both goals yesterday - the first was hardly a net buster nor was it right in the corner, and also thought he was culpable for not even trying to claim the corner from which BR scored last week. He just doesn't command his area and cannot inspire confidence in a defence already lacking in it. I don't think Ted Smith is ready - I felt sorry for him at Wigan last year, but do think he should now be given a chance against Brighton and then see what happens.

Don't think I can blame him for the 1st, but the guy should never have scored the 2nd from that angle with the keeper in front of him.

Yes but what about the disallowed one and the one cleared off the line?

Tbh every time I see the ball go near him I worry!

I don't think Brighton would be the right game to bring Ted in, it may only be a cup game but it's fair to say it could be a very one sided game...

I was annoyed Brown brought him in against Wigan towards the end of last season, a free flowing, scoring team and as a young goalkeeper if you let three or four goals passed you it must hit your confidence hard as much as your coaches can say 'there's nothing you could do about that one...' I doubt that really helps.

He does have potential, the other thing is timing.

Will Brighton be one sided? They only played 3 or 4 u23s when they played us in the League Cup last year and they only beat us 1-0. I can't imagine a squad of championship u23s will be the finished article.

Trouble is if you go to Ted and we concede three or four (which at the moment we might) where do you go from there? Before you know it we'll be looking for another keeper on loan or out of contract. I'd be inclined to stick with Oxley at the moment - hope he finds some form - and give Smith his chance later when the team is stronger and more stable.

The first was eminently stoppable , well within reach and poorly struck. When the striker lined up the shot I was expecting a goal, one struck, I was relieved , for a split second...
Having seen the footage of the second, he clearly could have done a lot more

From what I have seen he is god awful. Has no attributes which suggest he will be any good and is a massive weak link.

He may come good but I still maintain that ted smith is a better player and has more potential and is also one of our own.

Always thought him a strange purchase - seemingly based on Brown having a connection with him years ago. But his career never seemed to develop and if you have to move to the Scottish first division, you are hardly in an upwards trajectory, especially when you lose your place in the side and are not rated by your supporters.

i question him on both goals yesterday - the first was hardly a net buster nor was it right in the corner, and also thought he was culpable for not even trying to claim the corner from which BR scored last week. He just doesn't command his area and cannot inspire confidence in a defence already lacking in it. I don't think Ted Smith is ready - I felt sorry for him at Wigan last year, but do think he should now be given a chance against Brighton and then see what happens.

He could have never got to that corner, swinging in with the wind at pace. Just the sort of delivery we lack.

Every goal we now concede people will claim Bentley would have saved it. Their first was a decent shot, after an excellent move, so can't blame Oxley. Second didn't look good but from where I was in the East he seemed to have covered his near post but the ball went through Barrett so perhaps slightly unsighted.

Fans used to call Darrell Mr glue boots because he didn't come off his line .Well Oxley must have lead in his boots because he takes a step forwards then roots himself firmly on the line and never comes out for crosses .Avery poor keeper in my view .

I suspect our midfield will be delighted he is being blamed for their first goal.

He's not great, but he's not as bad as people are making out. We've just been spoilt with Bentley over the last few seasons.

He could have never got to that corner, swinging in with the wind at pace. Just the sort of delivery we lack.

Every goal we now concede people will claim Bentley would have saved it. Their first was a decent shot, after an excellent move, so can't blame Oxley. Second didn't look good but from where I was in the East he seemed to have covered his near post but the ball went through Barrett so perhaps slightly unsighted.

No-one mentioned Bentley.

It is clear Oxley is a dreadful signing and is likely to do for Brown what Emberson did for Wignall.

Why give Ted the opportunity?

Because Oxley has been poor in the games I've seen, bringing Ted in may give him a kick up the **** and show he has competition for the No1 jersey
The EFL Trophy is a non entity, it would be a good opportunity to see how Ted and some of our young prodigies can perform,
And Ted needs game time to improve,

So, and excellent opportunity for Ted to claim the No1 jersey - what's the worst that can happen...

Would also like to see Kyprianou get a chance and possibly Matsuzaka and Batlokwa too.

Cant see it as PB won't want to / can't risk another defeat!

From what I have seen he is god awful. Has no attributes which suggest he will be any good and is a massive weak link.

He may come good but I still maintain that ted smith is a better player and has more potential and is also one of our own.

The phrase weak link indicates that the rest of the chain is strong. It really isn't.

I don't think he's very good, but he's probably way down our list of problem priorities.

Sorry ,but it time to see if Ted has grown since last season games.Like Bentley if he's got it he will take his opportunity .Oxley unfortunately looks a sub standard keeper at this level,doesn't command his area and looks very static.With his lack of confidence every shot on goal is a worry

Back