• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Padova, am I the only one?

Bentley's Absurd Gait

Admittedly it was a pretty sparse crowd that night, but am I the only one who looks back on the second half of that game and remembers one of the greatest Blues' displays of all time? Fry had left us, and local hero Spud had taken his place, a 3-0 home defeat to WBA was a terrible injustice, but we feared that Judas had taken the magic away with him. But we still had the players, and that night, as the goals rained in against a side which would be promoted to Serie A that season, I actually believed we were destined for the top flight. Gary Jones played like Michael Owen that night, Ricky Otto was brilliant as only he could be. We would be even better than we had been under Fat Baz, we wouldn't have to worry about loyalty because Spud was SUFC through and through. Festive wins against Charlton and the hated Brum gave us more reason to believe, but it was on that freezing night with a few other brave souls that I truly deeply felt we could be world beaters. As the King once said, now and then, there's a fool such as I......

As I posted the other day, a conversation with Gary Poole confirmed at that point in time the team believed they could be world-beaters! Shame it all fell to bits :(

Hi, was this one of the games in the Anglo Italian cup if so I was there but for the life of me I can not remember a lot about all those games I was in a box which one of my mates had that season and shall I say the Juice was flowing.
I had my memories brought back to me when I was up in my loft the passed weekend clearing out rubbish, I was looking through all my boxes and came across loads and loads of old Blues programmes and old Blues free papers of the time showing Ricky Otto in the Pilot's seat flying out to Italy for some return match, I will have to sort all that out sometime.
Happy Day's

Is that the match Payne got sent off?

We were class back then... Bressington, Bodley, Royce, Hunt, Otto... golden era!

Is that the match Payne got sent off?

We were class back then... Bressington, Bodley, Royce, Hunt, Otto... golden era!

I think Payne got sent off against Pescara, and we lost 3-1? Best sending off for wee Derek must have been for punching Speedie in Fry's last game - Brunooooooo!

Every now and again I find the pics of a load of us in Florence Before the Fiorentina game.Drinking in a cafe next to the river with Alison Moyet, taking pictures of hot Italian ladies.Also who remembers playing a group of Italians in a courtyard,I think that was in Cosenza with half the 1st team watching?

I am trying to find out which game it was that we had Perliugi Collina as the ref?

It must have been either Pescara or Padova, as the home games we had an Italian Ref but the away games was an English Ref. I remember being in the West looking at this bald ref who looked like something out of the The Addams family.

Every now and again I find the pics of a load of us in Florence Before the Fiorentina game.Drinking in a cafe next to the river with Alison Moyet, taking pictures of hot Italian ladies.Also who remembers playing a group of Italians in a courtyard,I think that was in Cosenza with half the 1st team watching?

Still p!ssed off about this match .. i had booked up with The Railway crowd .. i think Charlie Benson was organising the trip, and about 3 days before we were due to leave the club informed us they would not sanction our travel and we had to cancel the whole bl00dy thing .. i think it was in the first year or so of English clubs being allowed back into Europe and we were told we had to travel with the club or not at all. IIRC the club deal was £275 per head whereas CB had sorted it for about £120 .. i simply couldn't afford the extra and so had to miss out :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Padova was one of my my Sons first games, it was a day before his 7th birthday . He had already seen us destroy Oxford in October so another high scoring game really cemented the support

Who was the legend who drove a Reliant Robin all the way to Italy for one of those games? He got interviewed on 5-Live some while later, was asked how many fans SUFC took and when he told the presenter (a well known Lincoln supporting egg-chaser) that we had had around 300 he was flatly disbelieved.

With the general size of team in the Championship and Italian giants getting relegated every few years for corruption, I wonder if anyone's ever considered bringing the competition back. Personally, I love the concept.

With the general size of team in the Championship and Italian giants getting relegated every few years for corruption, I wonder if anyone's ever considered bringing the competition back. Personally, I love the concept.

We could have seen Blues vs Juve, oh yes. Still have my Fiorentina scarf from that first trip. Who can forget David Howell marking Batistuta?

The trouble was that there was considerable "cultural differences", which meant that every other game involved a mass brawl.

Ricky Otto got chased with a hammer after one away game, in another one, Chris Powell got sent off for peacemaking in a 21 man brawl.

Personally I'm all for mass brawls, and moan their demise, but the Football League, FA and other killjoys thought otherwise.

Back