• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paterson and Spencer

fixitkid

Youth Team
I appreciate the position we are in and if people may have mentioned this already my apologies.

Next couple of matches I think we've pretty much written off on our current form. I think looking to our future we should give Spencer and Patterson a couple of starts together.

They've both had their games where they've looked a goal threat (Spencer, more than a threat clearly) and I think it's worth a shot.

Our alternatives are Vernon (not our striker, but I can understand if he's better than our current options why you might want to play him) Laurant (we all know up front is officially now not his position) or Dougie........ (shame we don't have a time machine).

I was quite disappointed with our striker selection Saturday, I feel with our defence leaking goals like a sieve we need to be scoring as many as we can and midfield and strikers need to be on the offensive side.

Before anyone chastises me for this post YES it's Tilly's choice who plays and YES he works with the players and knows a damn sight more than me about football. It's just a thought, I was wondering you opinions.

Yep, definetly, Spencer has only started 1 game yet he has scored 2 goals for us. coming off the bench and scoring them. But, in my view i reckon when Spencer started against colchester he was a big threat, he played good at he looks like he needs more starts! I want to see him start more because i can see his talent. Paterson, decent player but at the moment i wouldn't of paid what we paid for him to be honest. Maybe he will be really good soon i don't know. But yeah i would like to see them both start soon.

Was strange that Spencer got player of the month and didnt start. I would go him and Vernon. But its all dependent on the service, pumping long balls to Vernon with not a blue shirt near him (as on saturday) will not get us anywhere.

To be honest, I prefer Spencer coming from the bench. I think he is a bit of livewire with some pace and think him against tiring legs is better for him and us. This is shown by both his goals coming from sub appearances.

As for Paterson, I'd really like to see him play. His first two matches for us he was stuck upfront on his own with zero service and only had one chance on goal (Which he should of scored) but we then bring in another striker in Vernon and straight away he gets a partner in the form of Laurent and Paterson is dropped straight away.

I had heard when we signed Paterson we was really excited about him and thought he would do good things for us. He needs to play and needs a partner up with him.

Yep, definetly, Spencer has only started 1 game yet he has scored 2 goals for us. coming off the bench and scoring them. But, in my view i reckon when Spencer started against colchester he was a big threat, he played good at he looks like he needs more starts! I want to see him start more because i can see his talent. Paterson, decent player but at the moment i wouldn't of paid what we paid for him to be honest. Maybe he will be really good soon i don't know. But yeah i would like to see them both start soon.

Paterson was a free!

Every sighting of Paterson has suggested that he is lightweight and not yet ready.

That doesn't make him a bad signing because he is one for the future but we currently have better options up front.

Was strange that Spencer got player of the month and didnt start. I would go him and Vernon. But its all dependent on the service, pumping long balls to Vernon with not a blue shirt near him (as on saturday) will not get us anywhere.

No he never, Mildy got it.

As to the actual thread, I want Vernon to start as long as we've got him, with Scotty alongside, and Patterson replacing him when he runs out of steam. That way Vernon's experience will benefit them both and they can both grow in their own capabilities.

I do NOT want to see Laurent up front again, he is a wide man...end of.

I think we ought to pick a front two, and stick with them to form a partnership and pdq! this chopping and changing is doing no member of ther team any good. Look at Austin and Paynter at Swindon, neither in my opinion is a great deal better than what we have, but they are a parnership pairing that has clicked!
Barnard himself didn't have a regular partner, as I don't think Tilly & Brush knew who his best partner was to be honest. The sooner we stick with a regular front two the better, then have a sub come on say after70/75 mins for either who isn't playing well/injured or suspended, then, and not until then will you get some understanding together from our forward line. Simples..........

No he never, Mildy got it.

As to the actual thread, I want Vernon to start as long as we've got him, with Scotty alongside, and Patterson replacing him when he runs out of steam. That way Vernon's experience will benefit them both and they can both grow in their own capabilities.

I do NOT want to see Laurent up front again, he is a wide man...end of.

Spencer won Blues 4 Kids Player of the month and Mildenhall won the Trust award.

Totally agree with the bit in bold.

I was talking with a Saints fan at yesterday's Espanyol/Deportivo game-(he'd made the long trip down to Exeter the week before and goes to most games home and away despite living in Saffron Walden(!)-who was of the opinion that Patterson wasn't really going to make it as a professional player which is why of course they were happy to unload him to us.:(
He also thought that Barney was a tad short of pace.We could have told him that!:'(

Last edited:
You've forgotten how to spell "waste of space" again...
Look up Jean-Francois Christophe in the dictionary, that will help remind you too :p

Why do we sign these very average 'Continentals'...........one things for sure they dont seem too interested in putting up a fight for the cause. Its gonna be trench warfare 'till the end of the season - all those prepared to 'dig in', one pace forward please!!

The sooner we stick with a regular front two the better

This is exactly my thought, thinking of the future. This season is lost pretty much, hoping we can avoid the drop, but having a regular two up front who will be here next season (probably) to begin to build a partnership I think could be beneficial come 2010-2011.

I haven't seen Vernon play but from reports he doesn't seem better than what we have, but as OBL quite rightly says he's full of experience.

This is exactly my thought, thinking of the future. This season is lost pretty much, hoping we can avoid the drop, but having a regular two up front who will be here next season (probably) to begin to build a partnership I think could be beneficial come 2010-2011.

I haven't seen Vernon play but from reports he doesn't seem better than what we have, but as OBL quite rightly says he's full of experience.

Against Swindon he and Spencer looked very good together, I didnt get to the Tranmere game.

Vernon and Spencer up front is the best pairing we have but I dont think they will have a chance to shine in the next 4 games...

Was strange that Spencer got player of the month and didnt start.
He got Blues 4 Kids player of the month, Mildy got Shrimpers Trust player of the month.
I would have brought Paterson on on Saturday, his pace and skill could have caused them problems and he had a few chances when brought on against Colchester.
Personally, I'd have Vernon up front with Spencer and Paterson rotating, one coming on for the other. Possibly, Laurent and Scannell on the wings, Watt hasn't set the world alight and looks like he picked up and injury Saturday.

He got Blues 4 Kids player of the month, Mildy got Shrimpers Trust player of the month.
I would have brought Paterson on on Saturday, his pace and skill could have caused them problems and he had a few chances when brought on against Colchester.
Personally, I'd have Vernon up front with Spencer and Paterson rotating, one coming on for the other. Possibly, Laurent and Scannell on the wings, Watt hasn't set the world alight and looks like he picked up and injury Saturday.

We dont seem to have cottoned on to the fact that this lad wants the ball - doesnt matter if he's marked, he's good enough to retain posession. He did not waste one pass in the first half - unfortuanately he was ignored and by-passed far too many times.

Agree with OP on Spencer, and to a lesser extend Patterson. Jury is out on Vernon and as he is only on loan, I would like to see Patterson brought on a bit, but not at the expense of points. If Vernon brings a bit more strength and experience, so be it.
Laurent is wasted up front when he can be so deverstating on the wing.

Spencer looks like a natural goal scorer to me , he seems to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time , even if we dont find the pass for him . I can think of at least two occasions when Laurent should have squared it to him for a simple tap in . Maybe its time to give Dougie a try just behind Spencer and ? as he has the footballing brain and skill to find them with the telling passes they need . With the exception of Moussa our midfield just cannot seem to find a blue shirt on a regular basis . JFC , Macca and Grant are all defensive midfielders , at the moment i think Francis is supplying more assist than all the rest put together .

Unfortunately on Saturday Francis supplied more assists to Tranmere than us !!

On a serious note I like Spencer up front and would probably plump for Vernon over Patterson due to experience as others have noted. However it doesn't matter who you play if you continually hoof long balls onto centre-half's heads like Goodison.

Back