• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fantastic saves at the end of the game to keep it 1-0. So glad the Southend fans gave him a great reception at the end as he deserved it. Looks much more confident now, and I'm now not worried to have him between the sticks!

Lets just clear this up once and for all. Smith has been pulling up trees for the last few weeks with his shot stopping. We never doubted this aspect of his game, he is without doubt Championship quality in this department. However he is still just as rooted to the line as he ever was and always will be. If this is the way to go in League two then so be it, Pat Jennings on the deck and Pat Butcher in the air....looks shakey at times but to be fair he's keeping us in a lot of games, it'll do for me!

You must just love being the center of attention, stayed on his line- were you actually watching

was outstanding tonight (typical) was clearly your man of the match (says it all ;) )

Thought your 20, 23 and 2 were all really good.
Shame our own supporters don't really recognise what Barker (23) brings to the game!

Back on topic, Smudge was fantastic - long may it continue :thumbsup:

Superb keeper, was the difference between winning and losing last night as has been the case on many occassions.

Why people cannot see he is a class act is just beyond me.

If he continues playing as well as he is we may lose him in the summer. We'll then have to revise the almost impossible standards that some hold him to when we sign another stumpy journeyman to cover for young Daniel, who will almost certainly have teething problems. Paul Smith saved us again last night.

Three clean sheets in a row is a great achievement and vital when the goals have dried up.

Thought your keeper was excellent and with your 2 centrebacks winning most things in the air, he won't have to come off his line too often at set pieces.

Your MOTM I thought.

Just astonishing that he's come in for the abuse he has. Even when his form hasn't been great, he's still as good as any other keeper in the league. I think the real issue is he doesn't shout much - we could all pick holes in Ryan Cresswell's game if we wanted, identifying why he's not playing in the championship, but at the end of the day, for a league 2 centre half, he's the bees knees.
"his shot stopping is championship quality, but the rest of his game isnt" - possibly why he's not playing in the championship then? We're in LEAGUE 2 and he's the best keeper I've seen at this level for a long time.

Smith is in great form of late and way he is going must be pushing himself very near too player of month award for our league.

I have criticsed him in the past but must say he kept us in the game on Sat and again last night. Also clearly trying to come off his line a few occasions and punching crosses away.
Well done Smith.

The last month he has been superb and I've thoroughly enjoyed eating my humble pie.

How many times does it need to be said - at our level each player will ahve their flawes otherwise they would not be plying their trade in League 2 for 1500 quid a week . This especially applies to Keepers as its a rare commodity to find a Keeper outside of the Prem that is Tall , athletic , agile , good in the air , good kicking etc .
Yes we did have one briefly in Federici but he soon got recalled to Reading and now is playing in the Prem .

I could list faults on all our players as to why they are playing at this level but whats the point .

FWIW though do think Smith was in no mans land for the Lob , but you have to weigh things up as above and say Smith had a Fantastic game

Cracking shot stopper, decent kicking......if he was better at dealing with crosses (although punched well last night) and more vocal then he wouldn't be playing in league two.

His confidence and the fans confidence in him is the best thing to come out of 'that' Brentford loss in the FA Cup.

He has certainly grown on me

I'd say Smith has been Championship-class this past month or so and proven why he has spent virtually his whole career at that level, along with producing possibly the finest Blues goalkeeping performance ever seen at Brentford. He's going to be a significant factor in whether we get to Wembley and whether we can maintain our push for promotion.

I'd say Smith has been Championship-class this past month or so and proven why he has spent virtually his whole career at that level, along with producing possibly the finest Blues goalkeeping performance ever seen at Brentford. He's going to be a significant factor in whether we get to Wembley and whether we can maintain our push for promotion.

Can't argue with that ........... but every silver lining has a cloud ........... Smithy was my man of the match at Chesterfield as well and that says something about the team in front of him that is currently getting wins when draws or losses might be a fairer outcome.

Still I am hoping that the team gets back to more convincing performances starting at Accers on Saturday ....... I don't remember any problems with their pitch this season so hopefully it will be suitable for playing the ball on the ground.

How many times does it need to be said - at our level each player will ahve their flawes otherwise they would not be plying their trade in League 2 for 1500 quid a week . This especially applies to Keepers as its a rare commodity to find a Keeper outside of the Prem that is Tall , athletic , agile , good in the air , good kicking etc .
Yes we did have one briefly in Federici but he soon got recalled to Reading and now is playing in the Prem .

I could list faults on all our players as to why they are playing at this level but whats the point .

FWIW though do think Smith was in no mans land for the Lob , but you have to weigh things up as above and say Smith had a Fantastic game

Where would you suggest he have been ?

The ball was too far out for him to intercept and if he stayed on his line he would have made it even easier.

Back