• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Funny how things can turn around in football. Substituted for the penalty shoot out as others have mentioned seems to have given him a mighty kick up the backside, thank the Lord. He's gone from a poor keeper that should really have been dropped, to an outstanding keeper. The Brentford away display is probably in the top 3 goal keeping performances of all time. His body language is much different now, much more confident and sort of says to the opposition, you are not getting past me. The punches have been great lately as well, strong and full of distance. Well done Smithy, you've proved most of us wrong.

Has been superb recently, and interestingly, colleagues in the office have all mentioned he looked far too good for our level.

Time for everyone to be thankful he plays for SUFC

I always thought he was a good keeper at this level, although I did share concerns about his confidence and some decision making. Delighted to see he seems to have come into his own now, with a couple of great performances. I think that very importantly he has also patched things up with our defence who noticably did not trust him earlier in the season - keep it up!

I'd say Smith has been Championship-class this past month or so and proven why he has spent virtually his whole career at that level, along with producing possibly the finest Blues goalkeeping performance ever seen at Brentford. He's going to be a significant factor in whether we get to Wembley and whether we can maintain our push for promotion.
Fully agree, sign him up for next season NOW!

How many times does it need to be said - at our level each player will ahve their flawes otherwise they would not be plying their trade in League 2 for 1500 quid a week . This especially applies to Keepers as its a rare commodity to find a Keeper outside of the Prem that is Tall , athletic , agile , good in the air , good kicking etc .
Yes we did have one briefly in Federici but he soon got recalled to Reading and now is playing in the Prem .

I could list faults on all our players as to why they are playing at this level but whats the point .

FWIW though do think Smith was in no mans land for the Lob , but you have to weigh things up as above and say Smith had a Fantastic game

Daniels was good (although Wiggy disagrees) as well.

I think Smith's positioning was correct for the lob. When he started to come I was worried, but he came out far enough to narrow the angle, but not so far that he wouldn't have had time to react to a shot either side of him. If the keeper is a proper sized keeper and doesn't go down too soon that's an incredibly hard finish to get the ball over the keeper and down in time. Even if you get it over the keeper and down, you have to take pace off to do so, so he may have time to get back and tip it over (as indeed happened the other week when someone tried to lob him). Basically if someone lobs Smith from there - chapeau!

Schmeichel, for my money the greatest ever keeper, got lobbed a number of times. You can't cover the entire goal - but you do need to make the finish as hard as possible for the opposition. I think the percentage thing to do was to take a touch or two (he had the time).

I don't really know how Smith is in league 2. After his game against Brentford, where Brentford made him their MOM, the game last night being televised, I hope someone comes in and snaps him up in the summer. He certainly deserves better. Well done Smith.

here i am i have praised him from day one and will continue to support him its really pleasing fellow shrimpers are finally recognising his talent. long may it continue.

If he continues playing as well as he is we may lose him in the summer. We'll then have to revise the almost impossible standards that some hold him to when we sign another stumpy journeyman to cover for young Daniel, who will almost certainly have teething problems. Paul Smith saved us again last night.

Well if we lose him, we would get money for him as he has a second year contracted. Well unless we as a club allow players to screw us over like Hall and the devil Mohsni

He has been very decent of late but to be fair, he did warrant some critiscism before....maybe a few too many of us went too far though.

Keep it up with this new and improved standard Mr Smith, he has certainly won me over

Back