• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Morris
Clohessey Barker Mohsni Gilbert
Hall Kalala Timlin Grant Martin
Sampson or Dickinson
Bearing in mind Sampson is on the end of his loan spell.A 451 formation imo would work well going to 433 on attack.

Ill probably get slammed for this, but i know harris hasnt set the world on fire, but there was something about his after match interviews when we were on the winning streak that made me warm to the squad a lot, a determination and a sense of squad unity. His goal scoring record isnt exatly abysmal in terms of the overall SUFC strikers history either. yes he doesnt look at the races and off the pace, but we were winning when he played, maybe his attitude and demeanour had more of a positive effect on the team then his overall performances did. PS says he wants to start a blank teamsheet again. This sounds ridiculous to me at this stage of the season, surely he could do no worse then start that 11 that did so well earlier in the season with the same formation shape, game plan and work ethic. with the addition of martin on the wing who, from what ive seen has given us more of a threat.

Ill probably get slammed for this, but i know harris hasnt set the world on fire, but there was something about his after match interviews when we were on the winning streak that made me warm to the squad a lot, a determination and a sense of squad unity. His goal scoring record isnt exatly abysmal in terms of the overall SUFC strikers history either. yes he doesnt look at the races and off the pace, but we were winning when he played, maybe his attitude and demeanour had more of a positive effect on the team then his overall performances did. PS says he wants to start a blank teamsheet again. This sounds ridiculous to me at this stage of the season, surely he could do no worse then start that 11 that did so well earlier in the season with the same formation shape, game plan and work ethic. with the addition of martin on the wing who, from what ive seen has given us more of a threat.

If Sturrock wants players with character for Monday then I'd expect Harris to start. One thing that isn't in question is Chopper's character and I think at this moment in time, he's needed on the pitch.
I'm not sure we play in the way the suits Harris best, but is there a case for Sampson to parter him with Hall and Martin wide? There has got to be more chances created for the forwards in open play, but would it be too brave to go with that a 442 away at Gillingham?

I don't dislike Dicko like many seem to, but if he's not getting the service what is the guy supposed to do? Having said that, maybe it should be Harris up top leading the attack on Monday for a change.

Problem is the more changes Luggy makes the more it'll confuse the players further. No continuity.
Think this is a lot to do with it. It's all a bit Ranieri to me and the players often at home have different personnel with no team consistency. Why Martin didn't start last night I don't know. Picking defensive midfielders for home games I think gives opposition managers a lift in the sense that they think we are afraid of them and unfortunately most away teams are taking advantage of our sluggishness out of the blocks at home.

Seems to be a recurring theme Sturrock whining about the players not listening to him..........clearly they have no respect for him.

Get the impression that players are being told off for trying to play football, if this is the case then where do we go from here?

Yes Luggy made a comment last week about the players thinking they were 'footballers' well of course they bloody are! Ok so he was making the point that we shouldve hoofed it out when Plymouth were attacking but for me thats a **** poor excuse for letting in two goals against a poor team. If we'd played football and gone for the kill we mightve been out of sight by the time Plymouth scored. Sawyer, Martin, Harris not regulars- all like the ball on the floor. Any coincedence?

I'd actually like to know exactly what the players are not listening to how do we know he is right by saying that.
We presume he is right ,but i would be much happier if he came out and said i wanted us to play with this tactic
or i asked my players to play long ,short or whatever then we would know whether it was him or the players who were wrong
All i hear him say is this or that player doesn't listen an i'm not sure about that anymore
I must say this is a question i would like to no. Defenders dont fanny about with the ball, just kick it long, ok thats what there doing. Midfield do the same, thats if it ever comes down to ground level anywhere near them. Forwards chase these long balls, even though its a hopless cause, some do some dont. PS if this is not what your asking, then what is it, bacause it doesnt seem to be get the ball down and try to play football, anyone who trys that it seems is quickly told your not playing to orders. Now i dont expect PS to explain himself, he is the manager, and he will stand or fall by results, at the moment he is coming very close to falling.

Think we have a lot to thank Sturrock for bearing in mind where we were at the start of last season. However, I fear he is slowly losing the plot. I don't think he knows his best side, far too worried about the oppostion strengths instaed of the opposition worrying about our strengths. Far too many changes and tactically last night I thought the selection appalling. No wonder the players seem confused. Left back is a definite weakness not so much defensively but Gilbert must be colour blind.

Short of bringing someone else in, I would sacrifice Timlin from the midfield and play him there. He's done it before. My team for Gillingham.

Morris
Clohessy, Mohsni, Baldwin / Phillips, Timlin
Hall, Kalala, Grant, Martin
Sampson, Dickenson

Subs : Ferdinand, Harris, Benyon, Gilbert, Barker

Agree with Thundersley Blue. Sounds a good line up and certainly better than the team he had playing on Friday!

I have to agree with Strykr, I think Harris should start. His goalscoring hasnt been good, but he brings others into play so well. He is also always talking on the pitch, and when chips are down this could be exactly what we need to gee people up.

I have to agree with Strykr, I think Harris should start. His goalscoring hasnt been good, but he brings others into play so well. He is also always talking on the pitch, and when chips are down this could be exactly what we need to gee people up.

How about player/manager,now theres a thought,Tilly mark2 perhaps.

I must say this is a question i would like to no. Defenders dont fanny about with the ball, just kick it long, ok thats what there doing. Midfield do the same, thats if it ever comes down to ground level anywhere near them. Forwards chase these long balls, even though its a hopless cause, some do some dont. PS if this is not what your asking, then what is it, bacause it doesnt seem to be get the ball down and try to play football, anyone who trys that it seems is quickly told your not playing to orders. Now i dont expect PS to explain himself, he is the manager, and he will stand or fall by results, at the moment he is coming very close to falling.
This may well be why Sawyer is told he is not listening and why he is fit and ready and cant get near the bench cos he trys to play football ........

Just a quick point whilst we are on about 'playing to feet' etc.
Benyon has not set the world alight , but nearly every pass he got last night was either thumped at his throat or two feet over his head.
I think Sturrock is so undecided right now on who to pick and how to play , but there is no point in playing Benyon and then pumping long balls for him to try and get hold of.
I repeat , he has not done much , but he can control the ball and look for team mate - give him a chance

Just a quick point whilst we are on about 'playing to feet' etc.
Benyon has not set the world alight , but nearly every pass he got last night was either thumped at his throat or two feet over his head.
I think Sturrock is so undecided right now on who to pick and how to play , but there is no point in playing Benyon and then pumping long balls for him to try and get hold of.
I repeat , he has not done much , but he can control the ball and look for team mate - give him a chance

Not impressed with Benyon so far, but the way we play he hasnt got a hope here!

Not impressed with Benyon so far, but the way we play he hasnt got a hope here!

Agree with this, and also with the Harris start. Let me explain my logic. Dickinson (for a big target man), doesn't head with any direction, doesn't hold the ball up (i.e. it simply doesn't stick) and really isn't great at laying the ball off and moving into spce. These are the basic attributes of a "target" man together with causing " a nuisance". Against Rotherham, their centre half's had an easy ride, one mopped up, the other made the headers (simple defending). When Sampson and Harris came on, at least they moved around each other and started to shift the defenders.

Whilst Harris has not been prolific in front of goal, his intelligence on the pitch is beyond question, where he creates space and brings others into the game. For me, Dickinson is playing without pressure, as I'm afraid, so did Hall on Friday night.

Harris to start for me, with Sampson up top, Hall and Martin on the respective wings, that, I feel at least gives us some natural balance and the ability to hold the ball up, and to and deliver with pace and power.

I'm not sure we play in the way the suits Harris best, but is there a case for Sampson to parter him with Hall and Martin wide?

This. Personally I think with two natural wingers Harris would score goals in this team. And don't forget he knows Martin's game well too from Millwall.

Yes Luggy made a comment last week about the players thinking they were 'footballers' well of course they bloody are! Ok so he was making the point that we shouldve hoofed it out when Plymouth were attacking but for me thats a **** poor excuse for letting in two goals against a poor team. If we'd played football and gone for the kill we mightve been out of sight by the time Plymouth scored. Sawyer, Martin, Harris not regulars- all like the ball on the floor. Any coincedence?

Have to disagree. Sturrock was complaining about how we were trying to play football and playing backpasses/square balls in very poor conditions. I agree with him that we should have been getting rid as soon as they got near our box on that pitch, if we had we'd have won the game.

Back