• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BriggBlue

Schoolboy
Given Phil's recent comments it appears his tenure is coming towards its end, so who do people think is likely to be a sensible and realistic replacement?

Could we afford get Nathan Jones from Luton ?

how about a Powell / Barrett partnership?

Experience: Paul Lambert
Young n hungry: Nathan Jones

Can we afford either, probably not.

Dont want the Cowley bros - can you imagine AF, Nile and Coxy taking orders from a glorified PE teacher? No chance

Nathan Jones? Luton are sitting at the top of FL2 and going very well. Chances are they will get promoted this time round so why would he be interested? That's ignoring the financial side. Powell/Barrett? No thanks, don't fancy that pairing. The Cowleys? Probably Floval has called that right. I think I'll wait and see what happens with Phil before I name successors. Seems a bit previous to do otherwise yet.

Nathan Jones would be my choice,
But Luton are on the ascendancy at the moment , so why would he.
The Crowley’s, even ignoring their dislike of us, are also looking past our level for their next job.

Personally I think it will be another journeyman manger doing the rounds and he will be gone in a year as we slip down a division . I know I have said it before , but we are due a pony manager , we haven’t had one since Wignall and that’s almost 20 years and , regardless of when PB goes and why , i feel it will be his successor.

Last edited:
Powell or the Cowleys. Although every time I suggest either I seem to be shouted down by somebody who seems to have ‘insider’ knowledge that Powell wouldn’t move from being a SCOUT at Spurs and the Cowleys have some mythical hatred of Southend United...

Whoever replaces PB, they need to have a good footballing philosophy, want to work with and bring through the excellent crop of kids we have, bring in a coach for the strikers and keep Coughlan as assistant IMO.

Secondly I’d personally aim at blooding more youngsters with game time this year with a view to bringing as many as possible into genuine first team contention as possible for next year. Bwomono, Kyprianou and Yearwood for a start and possibly Ba too.

Cowley brothers for me...
Ron would get better results without the need to splash a load of money on high wages.
yep id go for them two, they would only come to us at the end of the season and that's if they don't get promoted, and even then we will have to pay a fee:sad:

Powell or the Cowleys. Although every time I suggest either I seem to be shouted down by somebody who seems to have ‘insider’ knowledge that Powell wouldn’t move from being a SCOUT at Spurs and the Cowleys have some mythical hatred of Southend United...

Lots of people in the area know the Cowleys because they were both PE teachers at Fitzwimarc for at least a decade before they got the Lincoln job, if people say they hate Southend then I'm inclined to believe them, since they're local they are probably fully aware of the players not being paid fiasco at the end of the Tilson era so Ron being an unreliable employer in the past would probably be on their minds as well. I'm not sure why they'd come here either way though, they're loved at Lincoln and we aren't that much of a step up from them.

Strikes me that IF we did take a decision now, we’d have an ideal opportunity to see if Coughlan could make the step up. He knows the players and would have every opportunity to make the relevant changes and see if he could change the mentality.

Based on happenings of the last couple of months, he’d have a great opportunity to be radical and show his leadership. Move Anton into a supporting (either ‘when needed’ or defensive coaching role) and give Nile his marching orders (I felt it was a gamble worth taking, but we’re fast finding out there’s a deeply inset reason he’s not reached his potential).

If Cougho could win a couple, and get the team and fans behind him, then who knows? Our likely alternative would mean hiring someone who’d been sacked elsewhere.

Experience: Paul Lambert
Young n hungry: Nathan Jones

Can we afford either, probably not.

Dont want the Cowley bros - can you imagine AF, Nile and Coxy taking orders from a glorified PE teacher? No chance

Never mind. Those players can do one if they would play for this manager either

Not sure why Ranger is getting the blame on here .. he doesnt set up the team for one-dimensional one tactic football. He did his time, and is just one of many who are massively massively underperforming.. Under different management he could flourish. The last time I massively under-performed at work was when I was managed by a dinosaur.

Not sure why Ranger is getting the blame on here .. he doesnt set up the team for one-dimensional one tactic football. He did his time, and is just one of many who are massively massively underperforming.. Under different management he could flourish. The last time I massively under-performed at work was when I was managed by a dinosaur.

I don’t see anyone “blaming Nile” - the thread is about our next Manager.

My own comment is purely connected to a step I think a new manager might want to take. Nile’s criticism (remember he was booed by a fair proportion of the crowd on his last introduction to the field for Fortune) is based on the neglect of elements he’s in control of himself. With his obvious talent and his lack of impact on the pitch, he is performing WAY lower than might be reasonably expected - but continually showing up late for training when the club has backed you the way it has and when you’re not personally delivering on the pitch, is the end of the love-in for me.

I was desperate for the Ranger gamble to work but I’m not seeing anything currently to convince me. If, as an alternative, a new manager could get him fired up, I’d be delighted for him to stay.

Nathan Jones would be my choice,
But Luton are on the ascendancy at the moment , so why would he.
The Crowley’s, even informing their dislike of us, are also looking past our level for their next job.

Personally I think it will be another journeyman manger doing the rounds and he will be gone in a year as we slip down a division . I know I have said it before , but we are due a pony manager , we haven’t had one since Wignall and that’s almost 20 years and , regardless of when PB goes and why , i feel it will be his successor.
Totally agree. Although I've never particularly connected with Brown and wouldn't give a damn if he left given recent events, I don't think we should take for granted that the next manager will be more successful. We've been spoilt for the past two decades.

In terms of successors, I think Dougie Freedman would be my first choice although bearing in mind he's now assistant at Palace it's very unlikely. I'd be happy with Kevin Maher. I just hope to god it won't be someone like Steve Evans.

Coughlan and maher deserve a chance, albeit at care takers. I doubt the team would be so lacklustre.

The players respect coughlan more than most will ever respect PB.

And although we inherited coughlan as a player. Him and maher are very much " one of your own " type individuals.

Coughlan and maher deserve a chance, albeit at care takers. I doubt the team would be so lacklustre. The players respect coughlan more than most will ever respect PB.

i'd be happy with that. Coughlan knows the division, Maher has managerial experience and knows the club.

Back