• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peter Clarke - returning to Blackpool?

everyone goes on about clarkes poor distribution... but it's because the tactic is always to pass to him. he has a better range and is more creative than clarke and so barrett often passes to him. because he is expected to move the ball out of defence then there will obviously be occasions when it goes wrong, but i actually think he is a very good passer of the ball.

PC is also a regular at HK House. I'm also glad to see more people have converted to a preference for Clarke over Barrett. His distribution is poor but he's not helped by teammates not giving him short options. His primary role is a centre half and he passes that test with flying colours. Alongside a better CB than Barrett and a stronger keeper Clarke will only get better next season.

A fantastic and genuine reaction to last Friday's defeat. if only a few more had shown the same.

Ah, HK house... that takes me back to my youth, ORM. Do you live around the Nobles Green area, then?

As for the Clarke / Barrett situation, while I agree that PC is the better player, he's also younger and (with no disrespect to AB) more ambitious.

PC was the "crowd hero" up at Blackpool when he joined us following our promotion to the Championship. I would not be in the least bit surprised were he to leave in the summer and re-join the Tangerines, now that they've stayed up. In fact, as I understand it, the Tangerines have been excellent up front, but porous at the back - and that would be a compelling reason for Clarkey to be wanted back up North in Blackpool.

I took his tears at full time to be an outpouring of a whole series of emotions... bitter disappointment at the result, hurt that he wouldn't be getting to play at Wembley or couldn't win promotion at a club where he appears to be happy... and, perhaps, tears of sadness because deep down, he suspects that that may have been his last game in the blue of Southend. And who wouldn't feel sad at leaving a club whose fans had been so amazing at the Keepmoat?

I'd be fairly surprised to see PC lining up for us in August. Barrett may not be brilliant, but he's already proved that he's good enough for a League 1 promotion tilt provided that he has a wise and tall player next to him, and crucially he is 100% committed to our club. AB will get the armband next season, and I suspect he may well be here for the rest of his career... and that's OK with me.

Matt

Ah, HK house... that takes me back to my youth, ORM. Do you live around the Nobles Green area, then?

As for the Clarke / Barrett situation, while I agree that PC is the better player, he's also younger and (with no disrespect to AB) more ambitious.

PC was the "crowd hero" up at Blackpool when he joined us following our promotion to the Championship. I would not be in the least bit surprised were he to leave in the summer and re-join the Tangerines, now that they've stayed up. In fact, as I understand it, the Tangerines have been excellent up front, but porous at the back - and that would be a compelling reason for Clarkey to be wanted back up North in Blackpool.

I took his tears at full time to be an outpouring of a whole series of emotions... bitter disappointment at the result, hurt that he wouldn't be getting to play at Wembley or couldn't win promotion at a club where he appears to be happy... and, perhaps, tears of sadness because deep down, he suspects that that may have been his last game in the blue of Southend. And who wouldn't feel sad at leaving a club whose fans had been so amazing at the Keepmoat?

I'd be fairly surprised to see PC lining up for us in August. Barrett may not be brilliant, but he's already proved that he's good enough for a League 1 promotion tilt provided that he has a wise and tall player next to him, and crucially he is 100% committed to our club. AB will get the armband next season, and I suspect he may well be here for the rest of his career... and that's OK with me.

Matt

Indeed, half the reason they couldn't believe he had moved was because he acted in the same manner as what we saw on Friday. My instinct is that Clarke will be as wholehearted and devoted to whichever cause he signs up to but is not ever going to be a one-man club. If Blackpool offered him a place in their team then I think he would be keen to take it.

However, having watched Blackpool a few times in the season gone, I don't think they would re-sign him unless one of their current defenders leaves. I don't think he's likely to upgrade either centre back and Blackpool would be better off looking for a more commanding player to give them more comfort above the drop zone next season and maybe give a base for a promotion push. Elliot Ward could be a decent signing for them for a certain price but his previous transfer may make him unattainable.

It's not that I don't rate Clarke, I think with experience he will get much better but right now there's nothing that makes me think he will seem like a really decent signing to Blackpool

but i actually think he is a very good passer of the ball.

He is woeful.

The best we ever get from his "passes" is a throw in up the pitch.

He isnt meant to be be a great passer though and his game would improve if he just stopped trying to pick out 50 yard passes.

I dont think theres much to choose between Barrett and Clarke and Id be happy to see them paired again next season. A commanding quick centreback would be nice but I think they are in the same place 20 goals a season striker hang out....

We have conceded a lot of goals over the last 2 years but people seem to be forgetting we were in the Championship for one of them and this year we had a relegation hangover and once we started playing after January our 'defensive frailties' rarely got mentioned.

I can't imagine him leaving yet.. And I hope he doesn't either. I reckon his got to be one of our best and most commited players.

We have conceded a lot of goals over the last 2 years but people seem to be forgetting we were in the Championship for one of them and this year we had a relegation hangover and once we started playing after January our 'defensive frailties' rarely got mentioned.

Our defence became adequate rather than dominating. The reason for our good run was because we were scoring plenty of goals. We drew more games 1-1 than we won 1-0 or drew 0-0.

Our defence became adequate rather than dominating. The reason for our good run was because we were scoring plenty of goals. We drew more games 1-1 than we won 1-0 or drew 0-0.

No 0-0s in the regular league season, I feel, is indicative of a team that doesn't rely on its defence much.

Clarke and Barrett are not a good partnership, I think this has been proven over the last two seasons, one has to be dropped..........I for one would take a half decent offer for clarke....never doubt his commitment to the cause just his ability

I have to say that I think Sodje would not have fared any better against JJ Price last week. Not so sure about Spinner, instinct says he'd have struggled too. Price, along with most of the Donny team, just had one of those rare, magical evenings were everything they did came off and the decisions went their way too.

Clarke and Barrett are not a good partnership, I think this has been proven over the last two seasons, one has to be dropped..........I for one would take a half decent offer for clarke....never doubt his commitment to the cause just his ability

Seeing as we didnt find a commanding centre half this season Id be very wary of selling one of our only two that we have.

Whilst Id love another Sodje Im pretty sure its going to be tough to find a centre half better than we have now, although if Clarke is off thats what we are going to have do do.

Zolton should be given a go, played well against Vitesse in pre season and scored numerous times from corners, at 6 ft 4 i guess your gonna get your fair share of chances, also an aerial threat is something we lack at the back!!

Tilly must have seen enough now to give him a go, he brought him here in the first place, cannot understand how he aint played at all this season, dont know of another club that would do this, give him a chance

Zolton should be given a go, played well against Vitesse in pre season and scored numerous times from corners, at 6 ft 4 i guess your gonna get your fair share of chances, also an aerial threat is something we lack at the back!!

Tilly must have seen enough now to give him a go, he brought him here in the first place, cannot understand how he aint played at all this season, dont know of another club that would do this, give him a chance

He presumably has been given a chance: in reserve games.

I don't get to as many games as a lot of you so i'll bow to your better judgement, but from the games I have seen with Clarke & Barrett together i've generally been left with the feeling that Clarke is the better all round footballer of the two. Barrett is Southend to the core & I love his attitude but as a player I can't help feeling his limit is probably League 1, whereas Clarke, in my opinon at least, always looked comfortable in the Championship.

All that said, I also don't think the pair together are as bad as some on here do! But as i said a lot of you see more games than I do so maybe I've just picked their better performances!

I don't get to as many games as a lot of you so i'll bow to your better judgement, but from the games I have seen with Clarke & Barrett together i've generally been left with the feeling that Clarke is the better all round footballer of the two. Barrett is Southend to the core & I love his attitude but as a player I can't help feeling his limit is probably League 1, whereas Clarke, in my opinon at least, always looked comfortable in the Championship.

All that said, I also don't think the pair together are as bad as some on here do! But as i said a lot of you see more games than I do so maybe I've just picked their better performances!

I think I saw the game Clarke looked comfortable at championship level, was it Ipswich away?

I think I'm right in saying that before Friday we'd only conceeded two goals from open play since Orient's equaliser at the very beginning of February (Northampton at home and Cheltenham away). That's better than "adequate", that's extremely impressive.

He missed the ball when trying to clear for their 1st goal, and got nutmegged for their 2nd. I thought he was ****e, but its been nearly a year.

Yep, must say I agree with you as, as much as i love Sir Adam (as you can tell by the username!), Clarkey has got experience at a Prem club and it shows sometimes as he does read the game a bit better than Barrett, which is so important at this sort of level

Awesome player. So much commitment! Very good defender. Would rather keep him over Barrett. I love Barrett but techniqually Clarke is a better defender!

i see Clarky's mum and dad alot at home and away games. I sat right near Mike (his dad) at Donny last week, and asked if he had any ambitions of leaving to go back up north, and Mike said that he'd been thinking about it quite a lot of late, but has decided he is quite happy down here.

we shall see. would be a massive blow if he left.

Awesome player. So much commitment! Very good defender. Would rather keep him over Barrett. I love Barrett but techniqually Clarke is a better defender!

I would measure technique in by ball control ability, timing tackles and passing for a defender. None of these Clarke is even close to on Barrett. I wouldn't call a 40 yard punt when your under no pressure (Clarkes usual) very good technique!

Dont get me wrong Clarke has improved and his basic defending is good but defenders also need to be able to have more qualitys than just defending nowdays which Clarke doesnt have to Championship level

Back