• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I also thought Fortune didn't have too bad a game. He could have won more headers but he put a real shift in and some of his link up play with Cox was good.

Has a real engine on him considering he's 36.

I slightly disagree about Ladapo though. I thought he looked quite a handful when he came on. Has potential to do very well for us

Agree totally re Ladapo, certainly put himself about as well and one challenge with Taylor had us wincing, he just got up rubbed himself down and got on with it. Nearly scored with an old fashioned diving header, nearly won a penalty and was inches away from getting on the end of a through ball. Not bad effort for a 20 min debut

Good day all round and what a great start on the road for CP. We certainly got value, as we didn't hear the final whistle until after 5. Despite the score it was a very entertaining afternoon with plenty of incidents, added to by some of the comical refereeing decisions.

Well done to al those that made the journey, with everyone in full voice as the teams walked out you can sense a good chance of a result and more importantly so do the players.

Peterborough's strength is the forward line, so stopping them was the key to winning this one. Marriott is similar to Cox in build and also comes of his marker, has real good tight control, shields the ball and brings others into the game. I was really impressed with him as he can read a ball over the top and pulls away and finds space on crosses. So good test for Turner and White

Maddison switches wings, plays a bit deeper and has a real dangerous pass, especially inside the full backs. So equally Demi and Coker were going to have to earn their wage this week. When they broke through Oxley made a couple of great one on one saves and when they did get the ball in the net, the Lino gave a couple of off-sides. Certainly the one in front of us in the first half looked tight.

After the penalty we had a 15 minute spell where we could have made it 2 but they came back into it before half time. The ref penalised 3 perfectly good tackles in a row against us, which made us all nervous. I certainly didn't fancy our luck if they had a half a penalty shout.

Second half they ramped up the pressure and we had a couple of chances on the break. We didn't exactly test their keeper but Cox curled a shot just wide and a glancing header from a free kick also just missed the same post. This is where stats don't always give a true picture. I would rather see a shot that means something than a scuffed tame effort straight at the keeper, which counts as 'on target'

My MOM was Turner by an absolute mile. Rather like we did against Bolger, they pumped to many high balls in the first half which Turner dealt with. At one stage Marriott was getting the right hump. Second half they used the width and we had to deal with more balls in the box than we did at Wimbledon and Northampton combined.

That's when Turner really showed his experience and gave a master class in positioning. He realised that rather than float balls in they would fire them in lower. So he took up a near post slot and got something on most of them. Who cares about looking pretty all you need to be is effective and that's exactly what he was. Anton done the role reversal and slotted in for JW without fuss. Second balls from corners etc were scrambled away by anyone in an orange shirt.

With Dru fading a little and on a yellow, the often criticised Timlin stood up in the last 30 minutes and again a lot of it was down to positioning. McL was better in the first half but Kightly took over in the second and again showed some good game management in front of the Shrimpers.

Cox was lively, MAF disappointing because as he often does away from home he loses the ball to cheaply. Freddie coming on was the obvious and right decision. Grew into the game and added some fresh muscle and pace up top when you need to ease the pressure.

The final whistle took for ever and the players and the fist pumping CP were delighted with a confidence boosting clean sheet. If we don't concede goals then the only way is up. So well done to a the lads on the pitch and well done to all the shrimpers who livened up the Peterborough library. If we back each other then we all have a far better week in life.

Now make sure you all get your a*** down to RH for the Wigan game and make it a day to remember......After all 6 points from the last 2 games means you really don't have an excuse not to be there.....Do you:thumbsup:

These are the results and performances you get when the manager treats staff and players with respect.

Agreed - I think it was too early to say there was a dramatic change after last week...yes we played better last week but SCP didn't train Kightly to mis-hit crosses or train Scunthorpe's keeper to throw a soft one in during injury time, last week could easily have gone the other way.....but now 2 games under SCP and 2 wins against Scunthorpe and Peterborough is a fantastic achievement and simply would not have happened had we not changed the manager

Assume everyone is now in favour of the change in management?

:smile: OH! How good it is to wake up on a sunday morning here in Manila and see the result and read the match reports,im going to be grinning from ear to ear all day. Well done to the team and to SCP ,also well done to all off the 801 travelling supporters:happy:

I was at the match yesterday and it was a brilliant team performance, the best that I've seen from Southend in a few years (I only really get to a few away games a season). points that stick out to me are:

• defensively we looked very strong against a highly rated attack.
  • the ref was dire, I mean horrendously bad. at one point he gave a goal kick when it was a blatant corner, to the point that even the pboro players were surprised.
  • Yearwood is going to be one hell of a player, at this rate we might have our lenny replacement. I'm not sure when wordy or wright are back but they are going to have a battle to get into this midfield.
  • macca and kightly seemed to terrify them, where has this version of kightly been for the rest of the season?
  • Cox looked quality, his little touches and close control was superb, he also wins a surprising amount in the air for his height.
  • MAF looked old, he seemed to be blown by half time and I would have replaced him then, but I'm not the gaffa.

When MAF came off Freddie made an immediate impact, he had a couple of decent chances and if I'm being hyper critical he should have scored one of them. his strength and pace upfront changed the way Pboro played from that point on and left 2 back to deal with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in place of MAF next time out.

Ferdinand seemed to grow in confidence when he came on and produced a very good display, I can't remember anything beating him in the air.

whilst walking back to the car I chatted to a couple of Pboro fans who said that their second disallowed goal was definitely offside but they were at the wrong end of the ground for the first.

I was at the match yesterday and it was a brilliant team performance, the best that I've seen from Southend in a few years (I only really get to a few away games a season). points that stick out to me are:

• defensively we looked very strong against a highly rated attack.
  • the ref was dire, I mean horrendously bad. at one point he gave a goal kick when it was a blatant corner, to the point that even the pboro players were surprised.
  • Yearwood is going to be one hell of a player, at this rate we might have our lenny replacement. I'm not sure when wordy or wright are back but they are going to have a battle to get into this midfield.
  • macca and kightly seemed to terrify them, where has this version of kightly been for the rest of the season?
  • Cox looked quality, his little touches and close control was superb, he also wins a surprising amount in the air for his height.
  • MAF looked old, he seemed to be blown by half time and I would have replaced him then, but I'm not the gaffa.

When MAF came off Freddie made an immediate impact, he had a couple of decent chances and if I'm being hyper critical he should have scored one of them. his strength and pace upfront changed the way Pboro played from that point on and left 2 back to deal with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in place of MAF next time out.

Ferdinand seemed to grow in confidence when he came on and produced a very good display, I can't remember anything beating him in the air.

whilst walking back to the car I chatted to a couple of Pboro fans who said that their second disallowed goal was definitely offside but they were at the wrong end of the ground for the first.

Where was Kightly?.... mainly out of position.

Amongst the expected bias, a refreshing comment on the Posh board 'So the ref and linesmen were an UTTER joke today but they managed to get the right result'.

Such refreshing interviews, totally different to previously. Love how he gives everyone credit and doesn't take the praise himself. He is a bit of a sniffer though, someone very him a tissue :smile:

Glad he has seen what Dru can do, the lad is going to go far, hopefully with us

Yes when he got booked early and showed some angry petulance, I rather feared Peterborough would target young Dru. That's where Timlin deserves his credit for taking over and protecting him.

There was a wonderful moment about 5 minutes into injury time when Dru got the ball about 35yds from and facing his own goal. He didn't have a pass available and was closed by two of them. Didn't panic and hoof it out but swivelled and hit a blind ball behind their left back, making him turn and chase it whilst under pressure.

It was just what was needed and Jonny Wilkinson would have been pleased with that one under pressure. Timlin slipped over and gave young Dru a discrete low five.....Sam Mantom might have to wait a while to get his chance.

Yes when he got booked early and showed some angry petulance, I rather feared Peterborough would target young Dru. That's where Timlin deserves his credit for taking over and protecting him.

There was a wonderful moment about 5 minutes into injury time when Dru got the ball about 35yds from and facing his own goal. He didn't have a pass available and was closed by two of them. Didn't panic and hoof it out but swivelled and hit a blind ball behind their left back, making him turn and chase it whilst under pressure.

It was just what was needed and Jonny Wilkinson would have been pleased with that one under pressure. Timlin slipped over and gave young Dru a discrete low five
.....Sam Mantom might have to wait a while to get his chance.

We noticed that and commented at the time. In a tight situation, he didn't panic and that's what we need. I've given Timms stick this season but under Powell and in his correct position he is finding form again. Timms and Dru could form a decent CM pairing, one that I'd be happy with. Looks like they could be good for each other

[FONT=&quot]From the Peterborough fans forum:

Southend are a horrible dirty time wasting physical cynical team....but they out battled out fought and out thought a woeful Posh side.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Plenty of talent in our line up but we just didn't show up. I couldn't recall one player that did himself justice. Both Cooper and Bogle were very disappointing and Forrester is just not interested in any sort of battle.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We also witnessed one of the worst performances from match officials seen at London Road in years....but I wouldn't even want to use that as an excuse. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Darragh expects and isn't a happy bunny tonight. The pressure is starting to build on McCann....Who once again was outwitted by a clever manager in Powell....You can feel it.[/FONT]

[FONT="]From the Peterborough fans forum:

Southend are a horrible dirty time wasting physical cynical team....but they out battled out fought and out thought a woeful Posh side.

We also witnessed one of the worst performances from match officials seen at London Road in years....but I wouldn't even want to use that as an excuse.

Darragh expects and isn't a happy bunny tonight. The pressure is starting to build on McCann....Who once again was outwitted by a clever manager in Powell....You can feel it.

They have a cheek to call us dirty?

They are moaning about a ref that gave them everything?

Glad others can also see how good Powell is.

"Southend are a horrible dirty time wasting physical cynical team." I try to look at the game as a neutral, but that's just twaddle. The the assault on Kightly was hardly friendly, was it?

"We also witnessed one of the worst performances from match officials seen at London Road in years." I agree but he was rubbish for both sides although he did seem to have a personal thing against Yearwood.

Peterborough looked demoralised as soon as we scored. The number 11 was staring at his boots most of the match.

We noticed that and commented at the time. In a tight situation, he didn't panic and that's what we need. I've given Timms stick this season but under Powell and in his correct position he is finding form again. Timms and Dru could form a decent CM pairing, one that I'd be happy with. Looks like they could be good for each other

One ball winnning and one creative attacking pacy skillful one? Nah - it'd never work :winking:

Watching on ifollow, again it was chalk and cheese to the last few away games.

Players giving 100% in the right way and in the right areas of the pitch. Confidence back, team spirit and togetherness back.

In the first 25 minutes we got behind the borough defence at least 4 or 5 times and should of been more than 1 up to be honest. As expected, for the home side they grew into the game and bossed possesion for 20 minutes either side of half time, playing some lovely passing football, but never really in and dangerous areas of the pitch and we only looked vulnerable to the long ball over the top. Oxley made two top drawer saves from one on ones during this period.

After that they ran out of steam a little and other than the 10 minutes of injury time, when the kitchen sink was thrown at us, I don’t think we looked in too much trouble and dealt with everything quite comfortably.

Oxley 8. Two vital saves at a vital time of the match. Time wasted brilliantly too.
Coker 7.5 Got forward well in the first 20 then defended solidly.
White 7.5 Gave 100% As always, I hope the injury isn’t too bad.
Turner 8 Won everything and calm as well.
Demi 8 Same as Coker, but gets the extra .5 for the cool penalty.
Macca 8 Won the pen, worked hard, looks back to the form of last season.
Kightly 8.5 Showed premiership class at times, and now looks fit and raring to go.
Dru 8 Still a few bits of inexperience but 10 times better than last weeks MOM performance :smile::smile:
Timlin 8 Best game from him all season, broke up play, chased, tackled, worked well with Dru
Cox 8 Top effort, links play well when given the ball to feet. I hope now PB has gone he may sign a new contract.
MAF 7 Did OK, held the ball up, but zero goal threat.

Ladapo 7.5 Not as good technique as MAF and not as good at holding the ball up, but had more goal threat in 25 mins.
Ferdinand 7.5 Slotted in well, look like the player from last year.

So the same players produce a totally different performance from previous regime. What a waste this season has been. If Ron had pulled the trigger a couple of weeks earlier then we may have still been in with a shout of the play offs.

Next week will be a huge test though, and a point would be a good result.

Where's Kightly been? Carrying injuries - the difference between a fit Kightly and an unfit one is a chasm of monumental proportions!

Back