• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Peterborough v Southend United, 23 March 2019

Pick your team here folks; plus - win, lose or draw?

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 84 53.8%
  • Nathan Bishop

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 44 28.2%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 86 55.1%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 134 85.9%
  • John White

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • Rob Kiernan

Votes: 136 87.2%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Harry Lennon

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 115 73.7%
  • Tim Dieng

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 123 78.8%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 99 63.5%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 66 42.3%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Charlie Kelman

Votes: 36 23.1%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • ______________________

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Win

• Lose

Votes: 45 28.8%
  • Draw

• Total voters
Good selection but I would have Dieng up front with cox

Good shout - Dieng has the height we need up there and can play it on the deck (when he can be arsed) as evidenced by his assist against Portsmouth. Perhaps I let my unhappiness with his form lead to an unconscious bias against selecting him at all.

For this to work though (which can of course also be said about my full back / wide mid selections) it would need to be being tried and drummed into the lads all week on the training pitch.

Another thing I would like to see some evidence of is shooting practice on the training pitch! I remember fat Barry Fry describing our shooting back in the day as 'powder puff'. Well, it sure is at the moment and we missed a couple of golden opportunities on Saturday. Our lads need to remember how to hit the target.

Oxley
Demetriou Kiernan Moore Hart
Kightly Yearwood Dieng McLaughin
Cox Bunn
McLaughin and Kightly need to be in constant rotation always swapping, Dieng and Yearwood need to find balls into the channel with Kightly and Mclaughin always out wide making the pitch big. Yearwood has the capability to recieve the ball inside in the pockets, create triangles and don't be afraid to switch play across their box but do it quickly.

The ball should hardly be in the air apart all game, our team is built for ground football not aerial so play it that way.

I believe in this team and 1 result is all we need to get us going. Powell is yet to know his strongest 11 but is yet to replace a set 11, too many changes each week, it does not work.

Assuming Demi is available, I have gone for :-

Bishop
Demi Moore Lennon Hart
Bunn Kiernan Yearwood McLaughlin
Cox Kelman

SUBS : Oxley, White, Hyam, Dieng, Mantom, Kightly, Wabo

I'd play Kiernan in front of the back-four. I believe he has played there before and what I liked about him on Saturday was that he was giving plenty of vocal encouragement and wanted to be involved.

Hyam doesn't do enough for me. He's not one thing or the other and as for Mantom and Dieng, neither of these two are men for a crisis. I've watched way too many goals recently where either or both don't track their runner who drifts into the box and scores.

Yearwood is then your driving force in the middle of the park and Bunn and Macca out wide but able to tuck in and work the ball on the deck into Cox and Kelman, opening the oppo up.

As NorthBank says above, get the ball down and pass and move it.

The ideal midfield three should comprise an enforcer, a ball carrier and a creative player. Powell's midfield, all his own creation of course, lacks anyone with any of those qualities to any great degree. Having watched nearly every game, admittedly on iFollow, I am mystified as to what Dieng's role or contribution is. Hyam seems to mistime everything he attempts and can only pass sideways while Mantom just gets bypassed most of the time. If Yearwood had lived up to the promise of last season it might have been a different story, but I am convinced most of our problems stem from chronic shortcomings in midfield, which is failing to provide a service to wide players and the striker(s) and keeps losing possession which puts pressure on the overworked defence.

Oxley
Demetriou Moore Kiernan Hart
Bunn Hyam Yearwood McLaughlin
Cox Wabo

This is assuming Lennon is injured.

4-4-2; everybody in the correct position; balance across the midfield with two natural wide players; Hyam next to Yearwood to get as close as possible to replicating his partnership with Timlin last season; and Wabo with Cox for something different. Keeping the ball on the deck but occasionally looking to pop it over the top/into the channels for Wabo to run onto to really stretch Posh. NO LONG BALLS PUMPED FORWARD WHEN WE HAVE NO-ONE TO GET A HEAD TO THEM.

Not the most suprising team. Not 5 at the back but Taylor with his pace in front of back four.
Lennon, and Kiernan (The new captain) for his instructions and height.
Mc Laughlin must switch wings, and Harry up front as the other strikers are not ready.

Oxley
Demi Lennon Kiernan Hart
Moore
Hyam Yearwood Mclaughlin
Bunn Cox

Subs Bishop. Elvis. Turner. Dieng. Mantom. Kightly. Kelman,

I have just kept up with the trend and clicked 11 random players. :Smile2:

I would say though that Hart, Kiernan and Bishop are must picks for me.

Oxley
Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Hart
Bunn Yearwood Hyam McLaughlin
Cox Kelman
Let's go 442 with 2 strikers on the pitch. I would like to see Yearwood back in the side as someone likely to run with the ball as opposed to the other CM's who are all very similar DM players.

We need wins so I pray to God we see some attacking football.

Powell needs a big result to bring the fans back onside
I like this setup but would maybe swap Dieng for Kelman, worked well at end of Pompey game.

Cyprus are playing mighty St Marino on Thursday and Belgium on Sunday. Both at home. If he's going I presume he would be there by now.

With the offer of free travel will there be strong support making the trip

Good shout - Dieng has the height we need up there and can play it on the deck (when he can be arsed) as evidenced by his assist against Portsmouth. Perhaps I let my unhappiness with his form lead to an unconscious bias against selecting him at all.

For this to work though (which can of course also be said about my full back / wide mid selections) it would need to be being tried and drummed into the lads all week on the training pitch.

Another thing I would like to see some evidence of is shooting practice on the training pitch! I remember fat Barry Fry describing our shooting back in the day as 'powder puff'. Well, it sure is at the moment and we missed a couple of golden opportunities on Saturday. Our lads need to remember how to hit the target.
Deing? He has to be one of the worst players I’ve seen in years what does he actually do!! Tackle? Nope, score? Nope,run with the ball? Nope, start attack’s off with good passing? Nope! I wouldn’t even say he was good in the air, and he pulls out of 50/50 the blokes a ****house

————— GK TBC —————
—— Kiernan Lennon Moore ——
Dimi ——————————— Hart
———Hyam —— Mantom ———
—— Bun ———— McCaughlin ——
————— Cox ———————-

I’d even be tempted to put John White in if Lennon isn’t fit. I don’t know what Keeper to play.

We reall need Dimi to push on high like Hart’s been doing. That’s my preferred if we can play it properly - if we wanna be more simple.

————GK TBC————-
Dimi Kiernan Moore Hart
—— Hyam — Mantom ——
Bunn —— Dieng ——McLaughlin
————— Cox ——————-

What I’m tryna say is, **** knows.

Whatever side we put out I'm just not confident we have enough characters or leaders to get a positive result.
What I do know is that it's time for Dru to come back in and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and start doing his thing again!

Will keep my post simple.
On Saturday we are playing a football match.
I believe we will win that football match.
The End

Back