• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Similar to fbm's thread, but not those who had the best career but those who were furthest from their peak when they played for Southend.

GK Southall
RB Sutch
LB Lampard Sr
CB Ramsey
CB Newman
CM Parris
CM Dailly
RM Byrne
LM O'Callaghan
CF Whymark
CF Ricketts

Subs Freedman, Eastwood, Harris, Goater

Last edited:
Rob Newman?

Possibly. I just feel that we had some really washed up centre-halves who were slower than even Super Rob Newman. He was still very much a serviceable centre-half.

Obviously Bressington's peak was with us so he wasn't one of them.

Ricketts must feature somewhere

Yeah, I was thinking of him for fbm's thread. Don't know why I didn't include him ahead of Goater.

I agree that Super Rob did a job for us, but I rated him very highly in his Norwich days, he was, as Butch would say, a 'super little player'.

Ronnie Whelan, Mike Marsh, Keith Dublin, Chris Ramsey, second coming of Fredy Eastwood, Derek Spence, Alan Foggon, Ken Foggo, Tony Taylor - this list could go on and on and on............

Ronnie Whelan, Mike Marsh, Keith Dublin, Chris Ramsey, second coming of Fredy Eastwood, Derek Spence, Alan Foggon, Ken Foggo, Tony Taylor - this list could go on and on and on............

I think Dublin was just crap rather than past it. Eastwood's already on the bench.

Whelan and then Marsh was still the best player on the park even though they their mobility had gone.

You'll have to regale me with tales of the others - both crapness and former glories before I'm prepared to include them (also need some positions for some of them).

Spencer Priors second spell at the club perhaps?

He was majestic in his second spell. Probably better than his first spell.

Simon Coleman? Was he that good at Middlesborough? I think Newman was far better at Norwich and so think I'm being won round by Rusty's arguments.

This post is for Harry
Chris Ramsey. ..he played in a cup final y'know
Trevor Whymark
Kevin "dead on arrival" O'callaghan
Frank Lampard
Neville Southall
Ricketts
And the winner is...TONY CURRIE

Neil Harris must be right up there and at the risk of XXXXXXL hanging himself Darryl Sutch was massively crap when we got him.

This post is for Harry
Trevor Whymark
Frank Lampard
Neville Southall
Ricketts

Stop the contest - Kevin O Callaghan wins with Tony Parkes as a close second.....Maybe also Ron Fearon too.

This post is for Harry
Trevor Whymark
Frank Lampard
Neville Southall
Ricketts

:smile:

I know Harry's looking down approvingly at that list. :thumbsup:

Im trying to think of the goalkeeper Southend signed way back when, it was after Harry Threadgold was pensioned off, im thinking Eddie Fermani, short in stature old in years , ran on to the pitch with a walking stick under his arms ,:omg::smile:

Im trying to think of the goalkeeper Southend signed way back when, it was after Harry Threadgold was pensioned off, im thinking Eddie Fermani, short in stature old in years , ran on to the pitch with a walking stick under his arms ,:omg::smile:

Could be totally wrong here as not my era but was Eddie Fermani not a forward?

Ian McKechnie ?

Back