• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please Tilly - Give us a striker.

DTS

The Business
Went for a beer with my old man last night after work and we were discussing our current team.

We agreed that the midfield looks fantastic on paper and if there is a stronger midfield in this league I would be suprised. Defence I am happy enough with and the addition of Gilbert has been a god send.

But our attack leaves me feeling cold. Foran, Paynter, Harrold, Hooper, Ademeno and Bradbury I just dont think are going to score 10+ (individually)this season.
Charlie I havent seen so I cant comment.

I am sure Tilly is onto it but I really think a 20 goal a season man is going to be the difference between a decent a a great season.

DtS:fury:

The main problem here is that 20-goal proven strikers at this level are expensive, in demand and are likely to want to play at a higher level than us.
We'll have to take our chances with a highly rated 'rough diamond' from a lower division I reckon.

i agree with the need for a top striker.. but i can see harrold and paynter, along with macdonald all getting into double figures (gower also)

we know they're after a striker but I agree with Mr Benedict, proven scorers at this level are like gold dust. I'm sure T & B have targets in mind so we'll have to see what develops, the transfer deadline is open until 31st August so there's still time for something to happen.

Went for a beer with my old man last night after work and we were discussing our current team.

We agreed that the midfield looks fantastic on paper and if there is a stronger midfield in this league I would be suprised. Defence I am happy enough with and the addition of Gilbert has been a god send.

But our attack leaves me feeling cold. Foran, Paynter, Harrold, Hooper, Ademeno and Bradbury I just dont think are going to score 10+ (individually)this season.

I am sure Tilly is onto it but I really think a 20 goal a season man is going to be the difference between a decent a a great season.

Good points Dave, but TBH until we see the strikers at this level we'll never know. However it seems certain that Tilly will bring another striker in, and in view of the Kerrea Gilbert signing it may well be a loanee.

Good points Dave, but TBH until we see the strikers at this level we'll never know. However it seems certain that Tilly will bring another striker in, and in view of the Kerrea Gilbert signing it may well be a loanee.

I think a striker on loan could be our best bet at the moment. I would rather waste a few months money on wages than a transfer fee if the player ends up being sh!te. Think we should learn from the mistakes we made with paying decent money for strikers that are yet to prove themselves.

If we take a striker on loan that ends up knocking them in, then we will obviously be interested in taking him on. This however will only work for us if the player comes from same or lower league than us, otherwise we will have the same problem on our hands with keeping him as we may well have with Gilbert.

I think a striker on loan could be our best bet at the moment. I would rather waste a few months money on wages than a transfer fee if the player ends up being sh!te. Think we should learn from the mistakes we made with paying decent money for strikers that are yet to prove themselves.

If we take a striker on loan that ends up knocking them in, then we will obviously be interested in taking him on. This however will only work for us if the player comes from same or lower league than us, otherwise we will have the same problem on our hands with keeping him as we may well have with Gilbert.

The problem there of course is finding a lower league team who would be willing to loan us what to all intents and purposes will be one of their best players. Therefore a loan player will come from the CCC or the reserves of a Prem club. In the case of Gilbert I think it's fairly plain that he will not be in Arsenals plans this season (injuries aside), so the chances of us getting him are a bit better, the fact that he is now with us helps, and if he settles, and if we do well he may well want to stay. A few ifs there I know.

I personally think that if our midfield, which looks comparitively strong in this division, can get some reasonable service to the forwards then we'll see a decent enough scoring rate. I don't know if it'll be enough to see us challenging for promotion but it won't be as bad as some seem to think.

Paynter scored at a decent rate last year for a poor team in this division.
Matt Harrold has scored at this level before and even notched a couple at CCC level last season.
Hooper scored (didn't he?) for the Ooze in L1 last season; they seemed impressed with him, enough anyway to want to sign him.
Charlie McDonald seems to know where the back of the net is; give him decent service and I'm sure he'll start putting them away.
Bradbury might look a little faster against these (probably/hopefully) poorer defenders. Never see him as an out-and-out forward though.
Foran doesn't seem to be being played as a forward; more an attacking midfielder. Thought he was bought for a CF role.
Adameno, I don't remember seeing him up front for us yet. Again though he seemed to impress while on loan to Cambridge. Anyone know more about him?

I think there might be another striker on the books before too long. Might have to be a loaner now we appear to have missed out on O'Donovan.

I think there might be another striker on the books before too long. Might have to be a loaner now we appear to have missed out on O'Donovan.

I still say Tilly should pick up the phone to Keano and if Sunderland sign him, then we arrange to take him on loan for the season to add to his experience!

Still think we should give the ones we got a chance, We know harrold and paynter were not good enough for championship football but they may do well in league one as IMO there is a big class difference from lge 1 and ccc, if I was one of the 40 strikers we already got I would be ***** off. And people that bang on about a proven goalscorer are nuts to think they are easily available, proven goalscorers are normally sold for big money or are not for sale at all.

I dont understand why Tilly doesent start Foran upfront as he has scored goals in SPL (23 in 76 for Motherwell) which is at least as good as L1 and he would probably work well with somebody likle paynter/macdonald as he has got a bit of pace and skill.

Our expectations have been left far too high by having Eastwood.

A 20 goal a season striker does indeed turn any teams season from a decent to great one, just look at Scunthorpe, us, even Col U last year.

However looking at the scoring table 20 goal a season strikers are extremely rare and no striker we look at will be one.

Unfortunately the best we can get is for someone like Macdonald to surprise us or to get a gem from Scotland/Ireland as thats the only way we will get one. In any case whoever we will bring in will be unrproven and uninspiring to begin with unless the pull off the signing of the century...

I dont understand why Tilly doesent start Foran upfront as he has scored goals in SPL (23 in 76 for Motherwell) which is at least as good as L1 and he would probably work well with somebody likle paynter/macdonald as he has got a bit of pace and skill.

The goals he scored for Motherwell were mainly penalties and against really poor teams in cup competitions.

From what Ive seen Foran isnt a natural finisher and he has ballooned far too many into the stands.

The fact he seems to pretty low in the striker pecking order would indicate to me he will play wide for us when he plays.

Been having the same conversation with a mate at work lately, we came to the conclusion that Tilson doesnt look close enough at strikers at clubs in the same league, there are so many decent strikers in league 1 ripe for the picking, which are currently at rubbish clubs, put them in with us and they can get the crosses and passes they need to score goals...Adam Boyd would have been great, james Hayter, Andy Kirk and the list could go on.

At the moment we have to many unproven or half decent strikers, we need a proven one at this level who has a bit of experience, I suppose lee bradbury is the closest to that but he is getting on a bit.

Said it before and I'll say it again... should have gone for Aaron Mclean when he was just down the road at Grays. Provided he keeps free of injury he will be a 20 goal a year man for Peterborugh and I wager will score more than any of our lot up front this year and probably more than any three of them put together.

Im unconvinced about McDonald, i've only seen him v Wham and Arhem but he looks like he lacks pace and strength. Everytime he goes after the ball he either gets knocked off or cant keep up with the defender, he also looks short on confidence, needs a few goals against Chelmsford and Crawley.

Im unconvinced about McDonald, i've only seen him v Wham and Arhem but he looks like he lacks pace and strength. Everytime he goes after the ball he either gets knocked off or cant keep up with the defender, he also looks short on confidence, needs a few goals against Chelmsford and Crawley.

MacDonald looked pretty tidy tonight. He worked the channels well and took a couple of snap shots but he didn't look like the poacher that he'd been billed as. It would be interesting to see him up with Bradbury as Bradders is still the player in the squad most likely to play his strike partner in in the box.

Back