• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
So, here it is. The "magic" of the FA Cup.....

And we go to Preston. Oh.

Anyhow...

Our hosts go into this game sitting 13th in League One. With 7 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats from their 16 games so far. Scoring 31 (3rd highest in Lge 1) and conceeding 34 (the worst in Lge 1) So clearly they know where the net is, but struggle to defend their own.

They are without a win in 7 league games and have shipped 23 goals in the process. And have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 3 at Deepdale. Averaging 2.25 goals against (the leakiest home defence in Lge 1) and 2.12 goals for.

Top scorer is former Liverpool youngster Neil Mellor with 8 in total. But he along with other dangermen Iain Hume and Jamie Proctor could all miss out with injuries. These three have netted half of PNE's goals so far this season. And it's no co-incidence their form has dipped since they got injured.

Big and powerful forward Juvhel Tsoumou, who has 3 goals in 4 starts, looks likely to start up top. With perhaps young Southampton loanee Sam Hoskins partnering him. Recent loanee signing and 6' 6" giant Thorsten Stuckmann, should start in goal. But Jonathan Forte, another loan signing from the Saints, is ineligible.

All in all. This looks about the best time to face Preston. They are on a poor run and have some key injury concerns. If we can take advantage of their leaky back line, whilst maintaining our high standards in defence. We have a chance of getting something here. There will be no pressure on us and you can bet the PNE fans and players will get nervous, if we stifle them and start to fashion some chances of our own, early on.

My prediction: 1-1 (Hall)

Score: 1-3 (Dickinson)
Att: 8974 (335 Southend)

I can see 500 of us making the trip there is a minimum of 4 coaches which is 212 people if all coaches are 53 seats with a pos of a 5th coach! plus many are making the trip themselves via the train and car.

I think the score will be 2-1

If we win it could well be Phil Browns last game. We have in the past put the knife into struggling managers.

If we win it could well be Phil Browns last game. We have in the past put the knife into struggling managers.

Quite possibly. Seem's there are many that want him to go.

It really is a perfect scenario for us. We lose, then we've lost to a League 1 side. No big deal. We draw, then PNE will certainly not fancy a long journey down on a Tuesday night. We win, well it would be a great result.

I'm not really bothered to be honest. But, I see no reason why we cannot go there and give them a real game.

Despite two below par performances against Oxford I'm still confident we can go there and get a result.

I agree that its the perfect time to play them and to be honest I have a sneaky feeling we might get a result. I think the first goal is crucial. If we could get that then the home fans will probably get on the team's back and calls for Phil Brown might start up which would all be to our advantage.

If we did take them to a replay I'd fancy us to win it.

Whilst I can see what you're getting at with not being that bothered either way, it's always nice to have a little cup run. Games like our recent trips to Chelsea and Tottenham don't come along too often but its always nice to make it to at least round 3 to be in with the chance for such a game.

We're in great form, they're in poor form (Smiffy didn't mention that they lost 5-2 to Charlton last weekend), sounds like the perfect recipe for an 'upset'. I'm going for 2-1 to us, keeping dreams of the treble alive.

See no reason why the result shouldn't favour us the same as last time we played them there
[video=youtube;jkmxDDWPwJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkmxDDWPwJ8[/video]

Scoring well but conceding lots too, made to end up with us winning! 3-1 my prediction.

See no reason why the result shouldn't favour us the same as last time we played them there
[video=youtube;jkmxDDWPwJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkmxDDWPwJ8[/video]

Scoring well but conceding lots too, made to end up with us winning! 3-1 my prediction.

So battle of the goals.

Timlins 2nd V Rov'rum
Or
McCormacks V PNE?

The early rounds of the cup in recent years have seen a lot of clubs experiencing very low home attendances. Therefore i will be surprised if the crowd is above 5,500 with 300 Blues fans max.

Back