• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Always a Shrimper

Schoolboy
Well card playing Ron even after Southend Council's Developement meeting on 10th April will still not show his hand. And
we still do not know his opinion or if he will start building soon! :finger:

No club statement, all is quiet.

As we know the local authority need £1 million up front. Ron only wants to pay £500,000.

In the Echo of April 11th under the heading Decision time Ron he is reported as saying :-

Asked after the vote if the project was still viable. Mr Martin said "I will now have to discuss this further with the council before I can make any comment."

£500,000 might be what a large supermarket takes in just 1 day! Are we to believe then matters hang on this knife edge!

Why is Ron still playing for time, he has had years and years! Something smells wrong to me!

Ron was due to talk to BBC Essex yesterday but pulled out because he didnt feel he was in a position to discuss the new deal until it was agreed.

That doesnt sound like a man about to agree to it but one who is going to haggle.

If we are having to haggle over 500k should be fine building an 80 million pound development then....

Whos knows whats going on, sometimes i think is Ron just winging it as he goes along & sometimes i think he must have a master plan after all renegotiating has saved him 2 million quid, who knows & at the moment im past caring because what will be will be & if we cant get together £20 million on SZ between us, what can we do about it, in the words of the great Paul Daniels 'Not a lot'!!

Ron was due to talk to BBC Essex yesterday but pulled out because he didnt feel he was in a position to discuss the new deal until it was agreed.

That doesnt sound like a man about to agree to it but one who is going to haggle.

If we are having to haggle over 500k should be fine building an 80 million pound development then....

Perhaps Ron was a Morrocan shop keeper in a previous life, it would explain the hair!:smile:

Whos knows whats going on, sometimes i think is Ron just winging it as he goes along & sometimes i think he must have a master plan after all renegotiating has saved him 2 million quid, who knows & at the moment im past caring because what will be will be & if we cant get together £20 million on SZ between us, what can we do about it, in the words of the great Paul Daniels 'Not a lot'!!

Make you right.
What ever Ron decides its his business and we the fans will either take it on the chin or walk away.

The council has been very supportive and gone as far as they can go. The profit from the total planning granted is huge even when you take into account the social housing requirement and S106 agreement. Sainsbury's and Ron just need to sort out who gets what and then get on with it. Ron - please get on with it or stand aside and let other interested parties in to do it.

The council has been very supportive and gone as far as they can go. The profit from the total planning granted is huge even when you take into account the social housing requirement and S106 agreement. Sainsbury's and Ron just need to sort out who gets what and then get on with it. Ron - please get on with it or stand aside and let other interested parties in to do it.
No chance of him doing this, he has come this far & if/when the development is finished, Ron Martin will own one of the biggest pieces of property/realestate in the area & be quids in, thats why imo SUFC is just being used as tool for his gain, once its built Ron will sell the club, walk away & coin in all his rent without the hassle & risk of losing anymore cash from SUFC, Ron knew what he was taking on when he replaced Jobson, he saw the potential of the new stadium/park, he just never envisaged it would take this long or be this complicated.

I remember it might be about 2 years ago now, he held a meeting at the Palace Park Inn. Lots went and I could not get a ticket. He said then that building would start in the Summer, July I think. When I heard from friends and read the write up on the questions put to him I could not understand it. No hard questioning, just excepted his spin. Seems this man has the golden voice of a second hand car salesman. He is a property developer first and foremost and as such will look after himself (As we all would) before S.U.F.C. as a club. Our club is a vehicle for profit.

No chance of him doing this, he has come this far & if/when the development is finished, Ron Martin will own one of the biggest pieces of property/realestate in the area & be quids in, thats why imo SUFC is just being used as tool for his gain, once its built Ron will sell the club, walk away & coin in all his rent without the hassle & risk of losing anymore cash from SUFC, Ron knew what he was taking on when he replaced Jobson, he saw the potential of the new stadium/park, he just never envisaged it would take this long or be this complicated.

Thats all very true.

I do think however that we dont always give credit regarding his intentions. Of course it was always about money, thats without doubt, but I genuinely think that after getting here he did take on the clubs interests as well, hence the lavish design of the stadium. He could easily have made more money by building a Col U type stadium but didnt.

Its once the credit crunch set in and he didnt have the resources to deliver it and subsidise the club that the problems really set in.

Sent: 12 April 2013 10:00
To: Ron Martin
Subject: New Stadium

Ron,

Can you please tell me when we can expect some kind of statement regarding Wednesday’s meeting with the council? I’m not quite sure what the delay can be? Is there something wrong? Can we expect work to begin shortly at FF?

Please advise?

Many Thanks and Regards
Steven Hurren

-------------------------
From: Steve Kavanagh [mailto:Steve.Kavanagh@southend-united.co.uk]
Sent: 12 April 2013 11:59
To: Steven Hurren
Subject: FW: New Stadium

Dear Steven

Further to your email to Ron Martin below, which has been forwarded to me.

The match day programme tomorrow will contain a statement by the Club but for your information the generality is agreed but there are ongoing discussion relating to the detail.

I hope you appreciate the meeting was only Wednesday and we are talking about a million pound project.

Kind regards
Steve

----------------------
What a joke repy!

Sent: 12 April 2013 10:00
To: Ron Martin
Subject: New Stadium

Ron,

Can you please tell me when we can expect some kind of statement regarding Wednesday’s meeting with the council? I’m not quite sure what the delay can be? Is there something wrong? Can we expect work to begin shortly at FF?

Please advise?

Many Thanks and Regards
Steven Hurren

-------------------------
From: Steve Kavanagh [mailto:Steve.Kavanagh@southend-united.co.uk]
Sent: 12 April 2013 11:59
To: Steven Hurren
Subject: FW: New Stadium

Dear Steven

Further to your email to Ron Martin below, which has been forwarded to me.

The match day programme tomorrow will contain a statement by the Club but for your information the generality is agreed but there are ongoing discussion relating to the detail.

I hope you appreciate the meeting was only Wednesday and we are talking about a million pound project.

Kind regards
Steve

----------------------
What a joke repy!

I asked Steve Kavanagh directly via email what his thoughts were but it'll be part of the forum answers. On the wider scale after what i have said this week I'm not at all surprised. If the Council wished for £500 ooo up front for arguments sake Ron would fish to get it down to £250,000. its tut tut and tut again on Ron's part.

I assume that Saisnburys will be supplying the cash , therefore if this assumption is correct it would be wrong of Ron to comment until the new payment schedule has been agreed with Sainsburys

I believe it is 90 days before anything can happen as that is the time allowed for parties to dispute the councils decision.

Can anyone confirm this?

Back