• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Potential replacements for Keys and Gray?

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Looks like Keys and Gray will get off with a slapped wrist then and they'll be back on our screens soon enough. But if they were hit by a bus tomorrow (driven, quite possibly, by a female assistant referee) who would you want to replace them?

Mark Bolton, who hosts Revista de La Liga, could be a good shout, although he does seem to take things a little too seriously.

As for the other role, I'd quite like to see a chief analyst (I guess that's what Gray is) who isn't an ex-footballer. The likes of Gabriele Marcotti and Guillem Balague are proof that you don't need to have played the game professionally to talk informatively and interestingly about the game.

Looks like Keys and Gray will get off with a slapped wrist then and they'll be back on our screens soon enough. But if they were hit by a bus tomorrow (driven, quite possibly, by a female assistant referee) who would you want to replace them?

Mark Bolton, who hosts Revista de La Liga, could be a good shout, although he does seem to take things a little too seriously.

As for the other role, I'd quite like to see a chief analyst (I guess that's what Gray is) who isn't an ex-footballer. The likes of Gabriele Marcotti and Guillem Balague are proof that you don't need to have played the game professionally to talk informatively and interestingly about the game.

Indeed, I actually think that pundits who aren't ex-pros are more likely to be brutally honest, as they aren't so bothered about offending their mates or potential employers. I like Mark Bolton a lot.

Something about Mark Bolton I don't quite like. He comes across so smarmy on Revista de La Liga sometimes, it's almost as if he's just slept with my girlfriend and now he's telling me how great it was. So he's out.

None of the SkySports regular guests come across as if they have complete ownership of a braincell, so they're all scrapped.

I quite like Dan Walker, who fronts Football Focus on the BBC. Good presenter, knows his football, and would fill the Richard Keys role quite well I'd think. To fill the Andy Gray-shaped void, and that's quite a void, you'd want someone articulate enough to express what's going on on the pitch without using the tired cliché nonsense. If we're going with a former professional, then perhaps Ray Wilkins could be persuaded?

When he retires I think David James would make an excellent pundit, very knowledgable and articulate and not afraid to speak his mind.

Something about Mark Bolton I don't quite like. He comes across so smarmy on Revista de La Liga sometimes, it's almost as if he's just slept with my girlfriend and now he's telling me how great it was. So he's out.

None of the SkySports regular guests come across as if they have complete ownership of a braincell, so they're all scrapped.

I quite like Dan Walker, who fronts Football Focus on the BBC. Good presenter, knows his football, and would fill the Richard Keys role quite well I'd think. To fill the Andy Gray-shaped void, and that's quite a void, you'd want someone articulate enough to express what's going on on the pitch without using the tired cliché nonsense. If we're going with a former professional, then perhaps Ray Wilkins could be persuaded?

Indeed - what a great double-act he'd be with the guy who plays Uncle Fester. :joke:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Uncle+Fester&qpvt=Uncle+Fester&FORM=IGRE

Last edited:
As long as it is not that ****** Ben Shepherd who now seems to be trying to be a 'lad' and present football on SKY.

Oh and keep 'Big Sam' away from the commentary box as well, thought he was awful as the co-commentator yesterday.

As long as it is not that ****** Ben Shepherd who now seems to be trying to be a 'lad' and present football on SKY.

Oh and keep 'Big Sam' away from the commentary box as well, thought he was awful as the co-commentator yesterday.

Depends which Big Sam you're talking about.

Sam Allardyce can do one, but The_BigSam would be a fantastic addition to the Sky Sports Team.

Is that a borderline Gray-Keysian comment - casting aspersions on the ability of female drivers? Or am I just irony spotting again?

Jamie Redknapp's favourite to get the Gray role at 5-2, Glenn Hoddles at 9-2 and Ray Wilkins is 5-1

Chris Kamara has to get the job. He just has to...

No thanks... He's fine where he is. The role of chief analyst should be to disect the play and provide you some insight into what's happening on the pitch. Albeit Andy Gray wasn't particularly good at this, but Kamara's even worse. He's fine as a match reporter. Hoddle is, actually, a fantastic shout. Whenever he's chosen for a game he talks about it eloquently and is capable of some fine insight.

No thanks... He's fine where he is. The role of chief analyst should be to disect the play and provide you some insight into what's happening on the pitch. Albeit Andy Gray wasn't particularly good at this, but Kamara's even worse. He's fine as a match reporter. Hoddle is, actually, a fantastic shout. Whenever he's chosen for a game he talks about it eloquently and is capable of some fine insight.

Unfortunately, I suspect that he will be overlooked for this due to his sins in a previous (managerial) life. :unsure:

Joking aside, he is a fine analyst of the game but I wonder if he would actually want the job. He comes across as being quite content with his coaching school for young players who've lost their way and happy to be wheeled in for the occasional Spurs game. Would he also be just a bit too urbane for the job? I'm not sure if his 'little whiff of lavender' would go down too well in the pubs and clubs around the country on a 'Super Sunday' somehow. Personally though, I think he'd be great.

Back