• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell, Brown & Campbell?

Hi Guys,

Obviously we're looking for a new manager at the moment, Brown & Powell have been linked, (Powell today) and finally Sol Campbell, think it's because of our head of football, Tobias Phoenix who worked with Campbell at Macclesfield.

Just out of curiosity, who do you rate as the best manager? Personally, I think Powell would be the better choice, but am interested in what your views are for the threesome.

Ta!

I'm not a Shrimpers supporter but I've been following their progress for some time. Without hesitation I'd recommend Sol Campbell way ahead of the other two. I would be delighted if the shysters running my club sacked Parkinson and appointed Sol. I hope Bolton's financial problems are behind them as I wouldn't want Campbell to be unlucky for a third time if he joins you.

Phil Brown is head and shoulders above the other two.
He can be a bit full of himself.
Probably a good fit for Bolton at the moment.

I agree.

I have often thought Phil Brown would make a good Screwfix model as well. I could see him posing with a cordless drill.

Always a good shout to fix the floodlights when the leccy goes down too!

Phil Brown for me out of the three.....never got the funds promised by our chairman due to new ground not coming as promised so had to do the job on a small budget.Made us a very hard unit to beat with a solid defence and midfield .Has a great knowledge of the game and finds the players for this level.His only downside is that he would always defend a 1 or 2 goal lead so don't expect an attacking style of play.
Sol.....still not decided on him yet.Clearly lacks the ability to motivate average players ,but given the right players and back up might produce the goods at a higher level.
Powell ...the most disappointing of the three .Inherited a good Brown squad but took us backwards.

The word from inside is that Chris Powell was too much of a nice guy. Phil Brown seemed to have the most knowledge of the game, but was one of those managers, when winning he's great and bubbly, when losing, he says the wrong thing at the wrong time in temper, usually upsetting the older professionals. Probably helps to explain a few winning runs and losing runs. He also chose who he spoke to and who he blanked. Sol Campbell the jury is out. A real trier, bit of a cool guy, but also a bit quirky.

Phil Brown. In fact if Sol goes I think we could do worse than have him back.

Chris Powell, ah what a shame. Club legend, so wanted him to do well. But I have to say I just don't think he's nasty enough. Great when things are going well but just not a strong enough character to stand up to the more difficult players when things are going badly. Probably a far better coach than a manager.

I think Sol does great things with young up and coming players ... I am not sure he would be able to tolerate old pros who are a bit too comfortable ..his mix of young and old was/is exciting.

Phil brown can put together a squad and get them going ... and havng enough fun to keep the thing going forward ..

Chris Powell - fabulous striker recruitmment .. cursed with injuries - and maybe did not get the fitness and conditioning right.

If you fancy a spell in the National league - get in Kevin Bond with Harry R as adviser ..

I think Sol does great things with young up and coming players

I’m not particularly looking to be combative here, but I’m just wondering what these great things are, that Campbell does with young players?

Could you elaborate?

I’m not particularly looking to be combative here, but I’m just wondering what these great things are, that Campbell does with young players?

Could you elaborate?

Gard, Clifford, Bwomono, Kelman, Egbri, Kinali, Phillips, Mitchell-Nelson etc

it's a roll of the dice between Brown and Campbell. Depends if you are a gambling man? Brown is the safe choice IMO, I was a big fan of his.
Campbell has a lot of unknowns but I do believe he could be a very good manager.
Powell I love to bits as a man and a player, possibly too nice to be a good manager

Right. That’s just a list of players.

My question was specific. What are the great things Campbell does with them, as per the original statement.

He plays them and they've all taken steps forward under him.

Campbell and his coaches are a perfect fit for Bolton in my opinion. Big name for a fairly big club with premier league stadium and training facilities. It would mean we unloading £180,000 + per annum wage bill. And we could then bring in a decent young manager to bring on our youthies. Love to have Maher back alongside maybe current U23/18 coaches. With Ricky Duncan or Tilly as football director.

Right. That’s just a list of players.

My question was specific. What are the great things Campbell does with them, as per the original statement.

GBJ, with all due respect, your perspective of Sol is clearly blinkered with an agenda because of your alleged sources. But the reality is that Sol (I mentioned this in another thread) has actually statistically improved us.

He took our goal ratio down from conceding 3 goals a game to 1.9 and got us creating 7% more chances than Bond/waddock ever did. Also from the eye test our team has evidently more fight and basic fitness that we have seen in a while.

To do the above with all the nonsense that currently surrounds our club is slightly impressive. Who remembers when Parkinson walked out of Bolton cause they could only play u23s and he couldnt win a game? Sol won us 3 games.

Last edited:
He plays them and they've all taken steps forward under him.

Right.

He plays them. Did he have much choice in that? Did he say, screw the senior lot, I’m throwing the youngsters in? Did he say, these lads are the future? Did he say he trusted and had faith in his young players?

No. He said - repeatedly - that he was stuck in a hard situation, where many of the players wouldn’t be playing if he had other options, but he had to make do with what he had.

Do you think, if Campbell has the choice, many of these players would form the spine of our starting XI next season?

Can you explain what steps they’ve taken under Sol? I mean, I don’t think you’re suggesting that these lads abilities have grown exponentially under Sol’s 18-weeks of tutelage. I’m generally curious as to what steps they’ve made.

Of the list that you gave...

- Elvis & Kelman were already showing great signs of potential, and were already on the radars of bigger clubs. Have they progressed under Sol, or are they progressing at the expected rate?

- Gard has played 160 minutes of first team football under Sol and had been trained under Sol for about 2-3 weeks. Not sure what progressions he made in that time.

- Phillips was also was in and around the first team training sessions for about 3 weeks, and managed 170 minutes of first team football. Again, hard to quantify any progressions he made under Sol

- Clifford wasn’t even in contention until injuries forced his recall.

- Egbri, Kinali & MMN are not currently ready for Lg2 football (let alone Lg1)

Back