• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre season friendlies

Sounds like you've got a Sky Sports subscription to me.Personally I don't want anything to do with Murdoch's evil empire (though I'd gladly pay for an individual match pass, which they won't allow me to do as an overseas viewer).

Sky is no long owned by murdoch, it was sold last year to Comcast, a US company.

Sounds like you've got a Sky Sports subscription to me.Personally I don't want anything to do with Murdoch's evil empire (though I'd gladly pay for an individual match pass, which they won't allow me to do as an overseas viewer).

Yet you were happy to work for......Opus Dei

I agree with you re MM.

However you need to go back and remember KB trying very hard to change the style of play and talked of needing to change the culture of the club.

Then we all need to remember when we conceded poor goals from trying to play the way he wanted us to and the reaction of the fans to that.

The cry’s of “league 1 players can’t play that way” “you’re asking league 1 players to do something they can’t do” were loud and very vociferous.

Almost to a man people wanted the ball forward quicker and for players to stop passing sideways and being patient in possession.....even going unnoticed when we managed to score from it.

There was some analysis done on Man City recently and it showed them conceding in the first few minutes from playing this way and nearly conceding a second moments later....However they stuck to it and won comfortably.

Now I’m not comparing us to Man City (not yet ?) but my point is, as enthusiastic as we all are with the appointment, if MM wants to play the way he says he wants to play, be prepared for a transition period that results in lots of mistakes and some of these will cost us points.

It’s the hardest way to play football, it’s the hardest way to coach a team to play, it takes the longest time to get right and it carries the most risk of all styles.

The players need to buy into it, the right types of players need to be played in the right positions and for everyone to be patient with it. Most importantly the fans need to trust the process or it will unsettle everyone.

I’m really looking forward to it. I think it’s a great appointment and I think we have some players that will flourish

From what I've read on Molesley, the only real similarity between his and Bond's styles of play will be the fact that the ball will largely be kept on the deck. Bond's style was based around possession and patience with the ball often going backwards and sideways. I believe Molesley looks for the ball to played forward more often and at a faster pace, with more off-the-ball movement and more options for the man in possession. Seems like he favours a press when possession is lost. Not to say it won't take a while to bed in but I think it will be more exciting to watch than Bond's style.

Every coaching qualification out there from level 1 to pro licence will focus on the first option for any player to be able to play forwards. I’m pretty sure Bond wasn’t asking anyone to pass backwards or sideways unless they felt there were no options to pass forwards. I’m equally sure he didn’t request that the ball be played slower or for the players to give the man on the ball limited options or show little off the ball movement.

Bonds ideas and choice of style in practice would’ve been very different to what he saw on a Saturday, which will have been governed by luck of quality in the squad, opposition that were better prepared and ultimately a lack of confidence in the players. All issues MM will also have to overcome and may well result in a lot of frustrations initially.

I wouldn't mind betting one will be against Bournemouth's under 23's. I have no inside info on this, just a guess!

it's likely to be localish clubs, don't forget that no-one will be going on money-spinning overseas tours so the opposition might be at a higher level than we expect

That's a good call Rob,would be good test for our lads.

Bournemouth’s U23s, despite being a premier league club, operate at the same academy level as us (Cat 3). Our 23s played them the season before last in the cup and lost 2-0.

I’m not sure who or what the benefits of our first team playing them will be?

Bournemouth’s U23s, despite being a premier league club, operate at the same academy level as us (Cat 3). Our 23s played them the season before last in the cup and lost 2-0.

I’m not sure who or what the benefits of our first team playing them will be?
Match fitness maybe and a sneaky look at some potential loan deals,just a thought sorry.

You want a sneaky look at some potential loans for 23s playing the same level as our own?

I actually I think it would be an interesting exercise to play their u23s to gauge the difference.

MM hardly needs to look at their u23s - he was their assistant manager and so will know them better than he knows our own players!

I actually I think it would be an interesting exercise to play their u23s to gauge the difference.

MM hardly needs to look at their u23s - he was their assistant manager and so will know them better than he knows our own players!

Ordinarily i wouldn’t disagree. A Prem clubs 23s / reserves early on in pre season is a decent runout with little chance of over physical challenges flying around.

But right now time is of the essence. We dont need to gauge the difference between our first team and someone else’s 23s we need to find out where we are and quickly and get up to speed.

We play two Bostik North sides this week. In the same period Colchester will have played Gillingham, Ipswich and Peterborough!

[QUOTE="OllieSteph44, post: 2264778, member: 16513
You want a sneaky look at some potential loans for 23s playing the same level as our own?
[/QUOTE]
What ever you thinks best Ollie,honest.

Back