• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre season friendlies

What about last summer when we drew 2-2?
I remember Chris Phillips reporting on last seasons pre-season. He made the comment about the amount of goals we conceded, I think we conceded goals in every game. The warning signs were there but were not heeded and the rest they say is history.

Reactions: GBJ
It wasn’t like KB didn’t spot it or wasn’t aware of it! He made reference to it all the time - and the fans crucified him for going on about it!!

It wasn’t like KB didn’t spot it or wasn’t aware of it! He made reference to it all the time - and the fans crucified him for going on about it!!
Wasn’t it him that was meant to fix it though? Bond went on about a lot of things, some valid, but did nothing to change them.

MM seems to be keen to work with the players and get them performing to their potential rather than belittling them and calling them crap which might just do the job ..

I agree that he may we’ll be doing this but you can tell this from one interview and one full week training? Were you there?

All I’m saying is I believe the perception of Bond changed or was already so warped so early on that everything he said was seized upon.

Maybe the players just refused to do what he wanted?

He did say he needed 3 windows to change the culture. So if getting rid of players was window 1 and most would agree that fans felt better about the side post January, then it’s fair to say that without an embargo 2 more windows would still be very realistic before we’d be well on the way to being a good side?

FWIW I really think MM has said all the right things and looks a good appointment....but I actually thought KB was too ?

I agree that he may we’ll be doing this but you can tell this from one interview and one full week training? Were you there?

All I’m saying is I believe the perception of Bond changed or was already so warped so early on that everything he said was seized upon.

He did say he needed 3 windows to change the culture. So if getting rid of players was window 1 and most would agree that fans felt better about the side post January, then it’s fair to say that without an embargo 2 more windows would still be very realistic before we’d be well on the way to being a good side?

FWIW I really think MM has said all the right things and looks a good appointment....but I actually thought KB was too ?

It is early days, but MM looks like a really exciting managerial appointment. He conveys enthusiasm, passion and intelligence. One gets the sense that he is fully engaged, expects everyone around him to be the same, and that his patience for anyone who cannot show the commitment he is demanding will be limited.

Whereas I didn’t.
I wasn’t there at MM’s training session no .. I’m going purely on instinct and my personal feeling. Time will tell but MM just feels different...I just think he might be the one to turn us around.
Bond didn’t appear to have a plan and the players weren’t on board. I also don’t think it would’ve taken 3 transfer windows to change the culture, just some good man management and a few tweaks. We had talented players, just many with the wrong attitude. All Bond did was blame the said players and the previous regime. In my personal opinion Bond took this club backwards. Ron made the appointment in good faith but it was the wrong one.

I agree with you re MM.

However you need to go back and remember KB trying very hard to change the style of play and talked of needing to change the culture of the club.

Then we all need to remember when we conceded poor goals from trying to play the way he wanted us to and the reaction of the fans to that.

The cry’s of “league 1 players can’t play that way” “you’re asking league 1 players to do something they can’t do” were loud and very vociferous.

Almost to a man people wanted the ball forward quicker and for players to stop passing sideways and being patient in possession.....even going unnoticed when we managed to score from it.

There was some analysis done on Man City recently and it showed them conceding in the first few minutes from playing this way and nearly conceding a second moments later....However they stuck to it and won comfortably.

Now I’m not comparing us to Man City (not yet ?) but my point is, as enthusiastic as we all are with the appointment, if MM wants to play the way he says he wants to play, be prepared for a transition period that results in lots of mistakes and some of these will cost us points.

It’s the hardest way to play football, it’s the hardest way to coach a team to play, it takes the longest time to get right and it carries the most risk of all styles.

The players need to buy into it, the right types of players need to be played in the right positions and for everyone to be patient with it. Most importantly the fans need to trust the process or it will unsettle everyone.

I’m really looking forward to it. I think it’s a great appointment and I think we have some players that will flourish

Whereas I didn’t.
I wasn’t there at MM’s training session no .. I’m going purely on instinct and my personal feeling. Time will tell but MM just feels different...I just think he might be the one to turn us around.
Bond didn’t appear to have a plan and the players weren’t on board. I also don’t think it would’ve taken 3 transfer windows to change the culture, just some good man management and a few tweaks. We had talented players, just many with the wrong attitude. All Bond did was blame the said players and the previous regime. In my personal opinion Bond took this club backwards. Ron made the appointment in good faith but it was the wrong one.
Also coming out and saying, it’s gonna take 3 transfers windows is not the most motivational way to lift your squad. “Basically until we get rid of all these mugs we don’t stand a chance”
Well done Kevin :Clap:

If you live in the UK ,u can’t watch them live if it’s a Saturday match can u ?
Yes you can ,last year cost £10:00 per Individual game. You need to sign up to IFOLLOW and you purchase via the club website On the day if needed. UTB:LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter:

The players need to buy into it, the right types of players need to be played in the right positions and for everyone to be patient with it. Most importantly the fans need to trust the process or it will unsettle everyone.
As you’ve said above the players need to buy into it which they didn’t under Bond and it was obvious. Fans turned when results did. Nobody expected us to start off with 6 straight defeats. Now I think fans are well aware of the challenge facing MM and will give him time. What irked me about KB were the post match ramblings blaming anyone but himself. I can’t see MM doing similar. I think if we lose, he’ll stop at nothing to figure out why and get it corrected on the training pitch. No excuses, he knows why he’s here and has outlined it’s a long term project without denigrating either his predecessor or the current playing staff.

I’m with you on MM. I’m not comparing the two.

But fans turned when results were poor and that’s been the case since day dot and will be again.

The proof of the pudding will be when or if results don’t go MMs way.

Did you consider that the players may not have bought in due to the howls of frustration they heard from the crowds? My bet is every single one of them were perfectly happy with it at B and Ls Monday to Friday but soon froze on a Saturday after the first mistake was met with frustration.

I’m not blaming the fans for that, it’s human nature but if we really want success with MM we have to try and change our culture alongside him trying to change the teams

Let us not forget there
I agree with you re MM.

However you need to go back and remember KB trying very hard to change the style of play and talked of needing to change the culture of the club.

Then we all need to remember when we conceded poor goals from trying to play the way he wanted us to and the reaction of the fans to that.

The cry’s of “league 1 players can’t play that way” “you’re asking league 1 players to do something they can’t do” were loud and very vociferous.

Almost to a man people wanted the ball forward quicker and for players to stop passing sideways and being patient in possession.....even going unnoticed when we managed to score from it.

There was some analysis done on Man City recently and it showed them conceding in the first few minutes from playing this way and nearly conceding a second moments later....However they stuck to it and won comfortably.

Now I’m not comparing us to Man City (not yet ?) but my point is, as enthusiastic as we all are with the appointment, if MM wants to play the way he says he wants to play, be prepared for a transition period that results in lots of mistakes and some of these will cost us points.

It’s the hardest way to play football, it’s the hardest way to coach a team to play, it takes the longest time to get right and it carries the most risk of all styles.

I’m really looking forward to it. I think it’s a great appointment and I think we have some players that will flourish

Let us not forget that twelve months ago possibly more than one player had their own agenda and may have been trying to subvert Bond's best efforts.
Of course a good man manager has to be alert to this kind of behaviour but it is always disappointing when it surfaces.

As you’ve said above the players need to buy into it which they didn’t under Bond and it was obvious. Fans turned when results did. Nobody expected us to start off with 6 straight defeats. Now I think fans are well aware of the challenge facing MM and will give him time. What irked me about KB were the post match ramblings blaming anyone but himself. I can’t see MM doing similar. I think if we lose, he’ll stop at nothing to figure out why and get it corrected on the training pitch. No excuses, he knows why he’s here and has outlined it’s a long term project without denigrating either his predecessor or the current playing staff.
Let us not forget that twelve months ago possibly more than one player had their own agenda and may have been trying to subvert Bond's best efforts.
Of course a good man manager has to be alert to this kind of behaviour but it is always disappointing when it surfaces.

But fans turned when results were poor and that’s been the case since day dot and will be again.

Did you consider that the players may not have bought in due to the howls of frustration they heard from the crowds? My bet is every single one of them were perfectly happy with it at B and Ls Monday to Friday but soon froze on a Saturday after the first mistake was met with frustration.

I’m not blaming the fans for that, it’s human nature but if we really want success with MM we have to try and change our culture alongside him trying to change the teams
Yup we all need to pull together.. management, players and fans. Let’s hope it’ll happen. It’s been a while!

It is possible that starting the season behind closed doors would actually benefit the new manager and the players as they will have a couple matches without the crowd getting on their backs when they make mistakes.

It is possible that starting the season behind closed doors would actually benefit the new manager and the players as they will have a couple matches without the crowd getting on their backs when they make mistakes.
It might even be a golden era for the club!

Surely with covid we'll just be going for very local games? I'd do an Essex tour plus maybe one or two bigger. No need to even think about going further afield

Reactions: GBJ
Back