• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fred or Tommo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Freddy.

He was like nothing I'd ever seen before. He would be running the ball into the corner and out of nowhere produce a moment of magic and next thing you knew, it was in the net.

Freddy was responsible for our rise from League 2 to The Championship in back to back seasons, so he wins this comfortably.

Tomlin, although in fantastic form, the best in the country. He's still some way off Freddy's "2004-06" stature.

Am I the only person who does not rate Eastwood as highly as everyone else? Sure, when he was here before he was decent, but since his return I've seen nothing to impress me. He is living on his previous reputation IMHO. He appears off the pace and lacking interest. I would not be unhappy to see him go, either permanently or on loan to lessen the wage bill.
I'll settle for 2 goals a game Tomlin, thank you. Right, tin lid on.

The question was about Freddy 'in his prime'. As in the first spell Freddy. The man that scored over 50 goals in that spell.

I can see why they call you 'wally'

Freddy.

He was like nothing I'd ever seen before. He would be running the ball into the corner and out of nowhere produce a moment of magic and next thing you knew, it was in the net.

Freddy was responsible for our rise from League 2 to The Championship in back to back seasons, so he wins this comfortably.

Tomlin, although in fantastic form, the best in the country. He's still some way off Freddy's "2004-06" stature.

Off the subject/thread title but both get 8-9 out of ten for me, as does Britt (and Crownie) BUT Stan WAS the real deal, big, fast, two great feet, strong and a bullet header - wasted talent and should have been the England centre forward for at least 2 world cups + more.

Freddy then Tomlin now.Billy Best, Stan Collymore, Bill Garner Gary Moore a pointless waste of a thread. WG Grace, Alistair Cooke,Jesse Owen, Carl Lewis?

I've seen some very good forwards in my time watching Blues and yet there are two that remain head and shoulders above them all...Collymore & Eastwood.

Freddy was quality first time around, although still useful not the potent threat that he was. Tomlin is currently a bigger asset to the club than freddy.
!!

I don't really see how the poll could be misunderstood. Freddy was by far the biggest factor in us obtaining 2 successive promotions, we had some very good players (Gower, Maher etc) but without Freddy we'd have struggled to get out of L2 never mind L1. Could I see Tomlin doing the same? No, personally I can't. Don't get me wrong he's been an absolutely fantastic signing but the run he's on now can't continue long-term. I can certainly see him being "1 in 2" but the scoring form he has now is Messi-like, it's a purple patch and it will pass. Tomlin brings an awful lot to the side and I really like him however Freddy was special, like Collymore you always got the impression that even on days when the majority of the side were way off form Freddy could produce something out of nothing and win the game. In 25 years as a Shrimper Collymore and Eastwood are the only two that I can remember having this in their locker, maybe Otto at a push too.

If you're talking Tomlin vs Eastwood now it's an easy answer at this moment in time. Much as I like Freddy and think he brings a lot to the team with his vision and awareness you wouldn't play him as both Tommo and Britt have been in outstanding form. If that continues we're heading for L1, and to have high quality replacements like Corr and Eastwood on the bench too can only help us to achieve that goal when injuries or suspensions hit up top.

As a side question if I was asked have I seen a better partnership up front than Tomlin and Assombalonga I'd have to say they are probably on a par with the likes of....

* Angell/Benjamin
* Angell/Collymore
* Eastwood/Gray
* Eastwood/Goater

....and that's some accolade! :thumbsup:

Interesting you say that about Freddy. There was some debate earlier in the season regarding Freddy/Tilly and his importance back then and my thoughts were that without Freddy we wouldn't have got promoted and that Tilly was lucky having him. Without Eastwood we wouldn't have got 2 promotions and Tilly wouldn't have got the accolades he got. My feeling has always been no Eastwood no promotions. I am glad someone finally is thinking that way too.

Interesting you say that about Freddy. There was some debate earlier in the season regarding Freddy/Tilly and his importance back then and my thoughts were that without Freddy we wouldn't have got promoted and that Tilly was lucky having him. Without Eastwood we wouldn't have got 2 promotions and Tilly wouldn't have got the accolades he got. My feeling has always been no Eastwood no promotions. I am glad someone finally is thinking that way too.

I remember debating this with you. As I've said before, this is not a situation unique to Southend United between the years 2004 and 2006. You will find that the vast, vast majority of promotion or title-winning sides have a talisman who grabs all the goals. It's very rare for a successful club in any generation not to have one. Think of all Man United's historic talismen goalscorers since the PL was formed. Mark Hughes, Eric Cantona, Ruud van Nistlrooy, Wayne Rooney - would they have won as many titles without those talismen and their 20-30 goals per season? Nope. But Ferguson doesn't get labelled as "lucky" because unlike Tilson, Southend and managers/clubs of that ilk, he has the money at his disposal to go out and buy a new goalscoring talisman to replace an outgoing one, and the fact that his club have those goalscorers just becomes the norm to everyone because they're often never without one. Doesn't mask the fact that Ferguson would have gotten nowhere near as many plaudits as he has done, nor Man United as much success as they have done, without the help of those goalscorers though. Then you can say the same about Arsenal and Thierry Henry; Liverpool and Ian Rush.

Hey, here's a good one, simply because these goalscorer/club combinations were the other 3 sides to get promoted with us in one of the two seasons to which you allude - Scunthorpe/Paul Hayes, Yeovil/Phil Jevons, Swansea/Lee Trundle. All of those 3 clubs and their managers could be accused of the exact same thing that you're saying about Tilson and Southend, in the exact same division, in the exact same season. But Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Swansea fans don't think any less fondly of, and nor do they give any less credit to, Gary Johnson, Brian Laws or Kenny Jackett as a result. So why do you think less of Tilson? Does it not show you that your argument is pretty much a moot point?

I'll continue. Jamie Cureton and Colchester when they were runners-up to us in L1 in 05/06. Ryan Lowe/Bury and Craig Davies/Chesterfield when they went up from L2 the other season - the same season in which Barry Corr grabbed only 5-or-so league goals less than those 2 men, to help SUFC to 12 places and 25 points behind those 2 clubs, no less. Jordan Rhodes/Huddersfield and Bradley W-P/Charlton when they went up from L1 last season. Grant Holt for Norwich's double promotion. Rickie Lambert for Southampton's double promotion. Need I go on?

On another level, not every club who has a mercurial goalscorer is successful anyway. Didn't Billy Sharp share the League 1 golden boot with Freddy Eastwood in our 2005/2006 title-winning campaign, both men scoring 23 league goals? Where did Scunthorpe finish that season? Ah yes. In 12th place. 22 points adrift of Southend. Do you know why? Because it's useless having that mercurial goalscorer if he is surrounded by dross for teammates. There have been many other situations, I am sure, where the 25 goals of a mercurial striker have been in vain in terms of the success of his club. Eastwood would not have been as successful for Southend without the likes of Gray, Goater, Gower, Maher, Pettefer, JCR, Bentley in the team to feed him and back him up, and Blues on the whole wouldn't have been so successful without a defence including the likes of Barrett, Prior, Sodje, Flahavan et al. You do a massive disservice to all of those players, without whose contributions we'd never have gotten promoted even if we had Eastwood.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not disagreeing with your point, and people are "thinking that way too". It is fundamentally true. But you honestly speak as though it is unique to SUFC between 2004 and 2006 when in reality, it has been endemic in football since the organised form of the sport was invented. You could level your exact same criticism at a whole shedload of other successful football clubs and their managers, whether they have won the treble or whether they have gained promotion from League 2. But you don't. People, in general, don't. It's not even thought about and is therefore a completely moot point in my opinion. Where my problem (and that of some other people) lies is not with your opinion itself but with the fact that people will drag up a pointless argument which is applicable across the history of world football simply to fit their own agenda and use it as a stick with which to beat one solitary man, a mere speck on the football space/time continuum, who they just don't like and to whom they can't bring themselves to give any credit.

Last edited:
love eastwood, love tomlin. always loved eastwood, didnt love tomlin at the start. will i always love eastwood?-probably not. will i always love tomlin?-probably if he keeps going or shows some interest in our form and position. (hint hint freddy)

Lets be honest DWB you just don't like Tilly, like every football clubs the manager is only a cog in the wheel. However Tilly got the most out of Fred and the other players thus he gets the accolades due to be our most successful manager ever.

Eastwood in his prime gets my vote every time.Scoring record was great.Scored a lot of goals at 3rd tier level,and i think he got around 16 goals in championship season with us,which was good really as we were down the bottom all season.Really glad we have got Tomlin now though he is going great guns.

Freddy in his prime was simply untouchable. He is without doubt for my mind the best stiker I have seen at the club - Literally love the man.

Pointless thread really, the days of a prime Freddy are over and he will ever be the same player again. Right now Tomlin is the man and in many respects is a very different player to Freddy (along with Britt of course). Personally I'd be happy if we somehow moved Freddy on in January, clear some of the wage bill.

Pointless thread really, the days of a prime Freddy are over and he will ever be the same player again. Right now Tomlin is the man and in many respects is a very different player to Freddy (along with Britt of course). Personally I'd be happy if we somehow moved Freddy on in January, clear some of the wage bill.
Wash your mouth out!!! :nope:

Sorry, as much as I appreciate what Freddy has done for the club over the years I now no longer see any value in him (he will now go on a rich vein of form scoring hat-tricks for fun).

Back