• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 31 2005,17:16)]Wow!! what a week, wednesday I was priviliged enough to watch Liverpool stage the biggest and most impressive fight back in any  cup final ever, Stevie G apitamises what loyalty and love for football and club is, Im not ashamed to say that I was stood in tears as the crowd sang ' you'll never walk alone' at the end of the penalty shoot out, It was a night where English fans could hang their heads up high rather than hanging them in shame as in the past English fans have been associated with hooliganism, they were a credit to Liverpool football club and to english football as a whole.
Then Saturday came and to be honest I couldnt stop thinking about the Blue boys chucking away their seasons worth of hard work, however my thoughts changed to those of a positive nature when the game kicked off. For the first time in my 18 years of watching SUFC I can honestly say that those boys showed the grit, determination and passion to win that had been long gone from Roots Hall since the days of Powell, Tilson,Colymoore etc. Extra Time came and we got the goals were scored and we secured our destiny. Whilst every paper and article has singled out Freddy for our rise to League 1 I would just like to say that it was a squad of hard workers and a coaching staff who showed immense belief in that squad that won us promotion. From the tea ladys, cleaners, marketing teams to the lads that play the football every week, everyone connected with the club have played a massive part in our success.

This is a time to be proud of English football, to be proud of our team-the mighty Blues and to be proud of ourselves the fans for our conduct at games and our support at games.

This is a time to be proud of Football.
I'm proud of my team but not of Liverpool.

Liverpool certainly don't make me feel proud to be English. Their fans are at least partly responsible for English clubs being excluded from European competition following the Heysel incident. If it wasn't for their actions perhaps the whole country could have enjoyed a few more 'great European nights'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 01 2005,08:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 31 2005,17:16)]Wow!! what a week, wednesday I was priviliged enough to watch Liverpool stage the biggest and most impressive fight back in any  cup final ever, Stevie G apitamises what loyalty and love for football and club is, Im not ashamed to say that I was stood in tears as the crowd sang ' you'll never walk alone' at the end of the penalty shoot out, It was a night where English fans could hang their heads up high rather than hanging them in shame as in the past English fans have been associated with hooliganism, they were a credit to Liverpool football club and to english football as a whole.
Then Saturday came and to be honest I couldnt stop thinking about the Blue boys chucking away their seasons worth of hard work, however my thoughts changed to those of a positive nature when the game kicked off. For the first time in my 18 years of watching SUFC I can honestly say that those boys showed the grit, determination and passion to win that had been long gone from Roots Hall since the days of Powell, Tilson,Colymoore etc. Extra Time came and we got the goals were scored and we secured our destiny. Whilst every paper and article has singled out Freddy for our rise to League 1 I would just like to say that it was a squad of hard workers and a coaching staff who showed immense belief in that squad that won us promotion. From the tea ladys, cleaners, marketing teams to the lads that play the football every week, everyone connected with the club have played a massive part in our success.

This is a time to be proud of English football, to be proud of our team-the mighty Blues and to be proud of ourselves the fans for our conduct at games and our support at games.

I'm proud of my team but not of Liverpool.

Liverpool certainly don't make me feel proud to be English. Their fans are at least partly responsible for English clubs being excluded from European competition following the Heysel incident. If it wasn't for their actions perhaps the whole country could have enjoyed a few more 'great European nights'.
bravo. send this to echo its much better. tweedy you are rubbish. CKK for president  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 31 2005,17:16)]This is a time to be proud of English football, to be proud of our team-the mighty Blues and to be proud of ourselves the fans for our conduct at games and our support at games.

Tweedy, do you believe the children are our future? Treat them well and watch them lead the way? Show them all the beauty they possess inside? Ebony and Ivory living together in pertfect harmony side by side on your piano?

You are quite clearly the poet of our generation - tears streamed down my face as I read your work - I had just stubbed my ******* toe.

...keyboard oh lord why dont weeee. we all know that people are the same wherever you go there is good and bad in everyone! sorry smudger, i quite like that song!!

by the way, your the new winner!!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 01 2005,08:54)]Liverpool certainly don't make me feel proud to be English. Their fans are at least partly responsible for English clubs being excluded from European competition following the Heysel incident. If it wasn't for their actions perhaps the whole country could have enjoyed a few more 'great European nights'.
Get over it. Heysel was terrible, yes, but it is also very much in the past. We've said sorry, paid our dues, held masses, church services, remembrance days, minutes silences and taken our punishment etc etc but that is still not enough for you.

Perhaps Germans should say they detest being German, after all just look how much sport the World missed out on due to WW2.

And on and on and on....

It's numptys like you that keep raking over the past that make me sick of being English. No other country is so chock full of hand-wringing pillocks that take no greater delight than deriding their own nation as this one.

on the subject my mate mentioned something last night which sounded like a really good idea. essentially, whereas liverpool got banned for crowd trouble so should inter milan and therefore allowing liverpool a place back in the champions league with the smallest of fuss and relatively fair - does anybody else think this is a good idea?

Tweedy just one point, I can see ip addresses and do not want to point out the number of posts that came from the same IP address.
biggrin.gif

Remember self praise is no praise.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 01 2005,12:49)]Get over it. Heysel was terrible, yes, but it is also very much in the past. We've said sorry, paid our dues, held masses, church services, remembrance days, minutes silences and taken our punishment etc etc but that is still not enough for you.

Perhaps Germans should say they detest being German, after all just look how much sport the World missed out on due to WW2.

And on and on and on....

It's numptys like you that keep raking over the past that make me sick of being English. No other country is so chock full of hand-wringing pillocks that take no greater delight than deriding their own nation as this one.
George Santayana
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Thucydides:
History is Philosophy teaching by examples.

Paul Valery:
History is the science of what never happens twice.

None of them English, all of them in agreement that The past moulds the future.

Or perhaps you prefer arrogant braggards ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 01 2005,13:49)]George Santayana
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Thucydides:
History is Philosophy teaching by examples.

Paul Valery:
History is the science of what never happens twice.

None of them English, all of them in agreement that The past moulds the future.

Or perhaps you prefer arrogant braggards ?
Remembering history and learning from it are one thing; continually using it to deride and show contempt for a nation/group of people are completely another.

You're implying that in order to 'learn from history', accept 'teach(ing) by examples' and thus ensure that past horrors 'never happen twice' we must never admit to being proud to be English (which is what the previous poster said and I took exception to).

Furthermore we must never allow anyone to praise any positive achievement from anyone from the city of Liverpool, lest by doing so they might help people move on from negatives from the past.

What a numpty  
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 01 2005,14:18)]You're implying that in order to 'learn from history', accept 'teach(ing) by examples' and thus ensure that past horrors 'never happen twice' we must never admit to being proud to be English (which is what the previous poster said and I took exception to).
I am making no such implication.

I made no reference to not being proud to be English, this was a response to a previous post where someone said "It's numptys like you that keep raking over the past that make me sick of being English. No other country is so chock full of hand-wringing pillocks that take no greater delight than deriding their own nation as this one."

Sound like they are really proud
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ June 01 2005,12:53)]on the subject my mate mentioned something last night which sounded like a really good idea. essentially, whereas liverpool got banned for crowd trouble so should inter milan and therefore allowing liverpool a place back in the champions league with the smallest of fuss and relatively fair - does anybody else think this is a good idea?
No, no and no again.

Liverpool weren't good enough over the course of the season to deserve Champions League football. Simple as. They finished (in points) closer to the bottom of the table then Chelsea. How should that be considered good enough?

The Champions League should be that, just for Champions of the participating countries. How can 4th qualify for the Champions League.

Well done to Liverpool on their success in Europe but they shouldn't be allowed to defend it because they weren't good enough against the likes of Crystal Palace and Southampton to compete against the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 01 2005,15:52)]The Champions League should be that, just for Champions of the participating countries. How can 4th qualify for the Champions League.
I agree, only allow the Champions in the Champions league, then make it a knockout format and why not rename it, European cup do ?
smile.gif

However Liverpool should be allowed to defend their trophy, they are Champions therefore they should be in the Champions league. They have more right thatn Man Utd , its not called the "haven't won anything for 2 years cup" is it .....

If Liverpool are allowed to enter next year's Champion$ League, it's the first step towards a European Superleague. Entry must be based purely upon a team's performance in its own league, otherwise it devalues domestic competitions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ June 01 2005,16:20)]Entry must be based purely upon a team's performance in its own league, otherwise it devalues domestic competitions.
the FA Cup is nowhere as big as it used to be.

but the LDV on the other hand...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 01 2005,15:52)]
how abouts for instance (this is a very long shot but just showing you something!) southend won the european cup! how would you feel if you wernt allowed to defend it? it defeats the nature of any cup competition. the holders are there to defend there ground. its a shame liverpool didnt perform in the Premier$hite that it has led to this predicament but they have to play in it and what better way than by taking the place of team who dont deserve to be in the competition because they cant control there crowds - this is only only way to teach them - a poxy fine and matches 'behind doors' means nothing - they are still in it to win it whereas the champions wont even be able to play in it. it seems to me ridiculous

The only reason that Inter weren't given a ban is because they are a G14 club - sad but true. There's just no way that UEFA are going to turn around now and dish out a proper punishment which gives their fans something to think about.

Rightly or wrongly, the rules state that a 5th place can't be granted to any country. It might be a stupid rule, but you can't bend it just to accommodate a specific instance like this because another club who qualified under the existing rules will lose out.

What UEFA need to do is to clarify for the future exactly what the criteria for qualification are so that this mess never occurs again, and what Liverpool need to do is to get their act together domestically and finish above Everton so that it's irrelevant to begin with.

i agree that liverpool should be allowed to defend their title but surely every club knew from the start of the campaign that the winners wouldn't be allowed in next season unless they qualified in their domestic league.rules are there for a reason and we can't change them to suit our needs.it has been like this for a number of years with the exception of real madrid taking the place of fourth place real zaragoza.i will be pleased if they give the ok for liverpool but stop whinging lads
and blame the FA!
smile.gif

Are Yeovil defending their L2 title?

Would Luton/Sheff Wed/Hull have defended the LDV had they won it?

Allowing Liverpool to enter next year's Champions (sic) League is a dangerous precedent. Liverpool have not met the entry requirements, which were already overly generous in the first instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back