• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quality is sadly missing from our Team = Disasterous Season

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
I felt a bit sorry for Harold Today as I thought he worked his socks off and gave 100% which is all you can ask but the Crowd never got off his back the whole Game ,unfortunately it's plain to see that he is lacking quality and is definately not a Championship Class Striker .This is clearly half the problem this Season as the same can also be said about Foran ,Paynter ,Bradbury ,Hooper and Lawson .You can't have confidence in any of these Front Players to score the Goals that we desperately need .The win at Preston was because our Midfielders got us out of jail and done the business with Three Wonder Strikes .How many more times do we have to say that Freddy and Southend have been crying out for a Quality Striker to play along side and pull the Defenders all over the place (you know ,just like Teams do to us)and chip in with more than 12 Goals for the Team which would probably have meant Championship Football next Season .Well it looks like it's too late now .
What's your view ? .
Have we purchased a load of Donkeys for laughable Fees ? .
Have our Management Team showed very poor judgement of Players ? .

Think Foran still needs time also Paynter i thnk Offers us something different and thats why it was a shame we le hm go on loan, but who can blame him.

hooper is for the Future....and Harrold will always give 100% he is a southend lad....Lawson the same.

But i'm affraid apart from Eastwood none of the other Chapionship Quality just yet.

Would have still liked to have had Wayne Gray as a striking option.

Same mate. Whilst he wasnt the most technically gifted forward, his pace created problems and he also proved he could score at this level (4 in 6 games) for a struggling MK Dons team.

Today any real option on the bench would've been an asset. :( Bradbury's a good honest pro who had some nice touches, but he looked good today as he was coming into a shambles of a performance. But the one thing he's isn't likely to do is get you a goal.

We did not replace HRH The Goat & I'm afraid like many of the unhappy bunnies, who according to some should go and support someone else (well **** off yourself as I'm going nowhere), I believe some very poor signings & a hopeless lack of ability to use the loan market have done for us this season when we are absolutely nowhere near the 2nd worst team in the league.

Who's fault is this. Well as usual it's we fans!! :flamer:

Our best striker today was Adam Barrett. I'd stick him up front for the rest of the season, to be honest.

It's hard to moan about today because the lads tried their best. Unfortunately their best isn't good enough at this level. Even the likes of Maher and Gower, both of whom have been amongst our top performers this season, just don't cut the mustard this high up. These guys were lower-league footballers for a reason.

Today was our first look at an Eastwood-less future. Crikey.

Paynter i thnk Offers us something different and thats why it was a shame we le hm go on loan, but who can blame him.
Get real. This isn't a chariddeeee match or a mate playing pub football on a Sunday. He a sodding professional footballer getting paid decent money! :thump:

If he goes into a sulk every time someone say "you're ****, ahhhh" then he's going to have a short career. Especially if the plays much with Captain Crab who generally balmes the recipient for each of his misplaced passes. :angel:

Disasterous season?

This board is a never ending source of amusement

The Shrimperzone board review of the season so far -

This season starts - Even with a small squad and the majority of the same League 1 players, expectations unreasonable already

After the first couple games some people on here already start talking about 'Premiership'....guffaw

The not winning streak starts. Clarke is 'at fault', blamed by people on here. Dropped. (later settles to become one of our best players)

Paynter next to be blamed, farmed out on loan. Scores goals at other club.

Maher sent off at Col U, 'not fit to be Captain', should be dropped and replaced with player X

Win against Man U, with internationals aplenty, one of the best nights in Southend's history.

Streak of league continues without a win, Tilson out brigade out in force. 'He cant take the club any further and should go'

Freddy stops scoring. Should be sold immediately so we can buy player x y and z who all go to other clubs.

Two cup games at White Hart Lane, one we lose by a dodgy goal, one we're played off the park by a team of international class players. More Tilson out mutterings.

McCormack comes in, team experiences mini revival.

5-0 against QPR and all of sudden Tilly is the best manager in our history, better than Webb.

Losing run starts again, and we're having a distrastous season, all memories of whats gone on this season forgotten in the face of soon to be relegation.
We shouldnt clap the players off the pitch either, theyre a disgrace and dont care what happens to the club.

Granted relegation will hurt us, but would you rather have midtable mediocrity in League 2, with Alan Little/Wiggy or some other lower league manager, where our season is over in February, or would you rather have the heart stopping ride that we've had this season. We've had two exceptional seasons, and were due a bad one. I know which I'd rather have.

To be fair, gower has got 10 now right? most teams dont have a midfielder getting this many, hes like our second striker!

But yes, bad signings up front and not enough quality.

Disasterous season?

This board is a never ending source of amusement

The Shrimperzone board review of the season so far -

This season starts - Even with a small squad and the majority of the same League 1 players, expectations unreasonable already

After the first couple games some people on here already start talking about 'Premiership'....guffaw

The not winning streak starts. Clarke is 'at fault', blamed by people on here. Dropped. (later settles to become one of our best players)

Paynter next to be blamed, farmed out on loan. Scores goals at other club.

Maher sent off at Col U, 'not fit to be Captain', should be dropped and replaced with player X

Win against Man U, with internationals aplenty, one of the best nights in Southend's history.

Streak of league continues without a win, Tilson out brigade out in force. 'He cant take the club any further and should go'

Freddy stops scoring. Should be sold immediately so we can buy player x y and z who all go to other clubs.

Two cup games at White Hart Lane, one we lose by a dodgy goal, one we're played off the park by a team of international class players. More Tilson out mutterings.

McCormack comes in, team experiences mini revival.

5-0 against QPR and all of sudden Tilly is the best manager in our history, better than Webb.

Losing run starts again, and we're having a distrastous season, all memories of whats gone on this season forgotten in the face of soon to be relegation.
We shouldnt clap the players off the pitch either, theyre a disgrace and dont care what happens to the club.

Granted relegation will hurt us, but would you rather have midtable mediocrity in League 2, with Alan Little/Wiggy or some other lower league manager, where our season is over in February, or would you rather have the heart stopping ride that we've had this season. We've had two exceptional seasons, and were due a bad one. I know which I'd rather have.

Great post - unfortunately football's an emotional game and coming on here after a poor game spitting blood and feathers is part of the tradition and healing process. :cry: :cry:

hooper is for the Future....

Now that we're almost certain to drop I'd say Hooper is very much for the present rather than future. He's proved he can score goals at Orient in L1 albeit during his brief spell and (whilst he's not ready for the Championship) we'll probably end up giving him a shot at replacing Freddy providing Hoops inks that new contract. He has a great footballing brain for someone so young and more importantly he looks to be a potential prolific goalscorer which is more than can be said for in particular Bradders and Harrold and (from what we've seen so far) Foran. In terms of Billy Paynter if he's fitter now and playing with confidence he could be an asset if he isn't sold and could well form a well-complemented partnership with Hooper - L1 is definitely his level.

However once Freddy goes we need to bring in AT LEAST two decent strikers and certainly one who is relatively prolific, for any side looking for promotion it's a must to have at least one with a good goal record - both ourselves and Scunny have shown that in L1 over the past 2 seasons.

Disastrous season(note the correct spelling)!!

Getting relegated is never pleasant but this season is anything but disastrous.
We have beaten manu, beaten Birmingham, Sunderland,Preston, Southampton, WBA, Ipswich and taken Spurs to extra time in a major 1/4 Final.
Mistakes have been made and yes Wayne Gray should have been kept but if we make a couple of good signings for next season I am confident we have the players to come straight back up.
A disastrous season is the one we had 4 years ago when we finished 4 points away from going out of the League and lost more games than anyone else that season.

Disasterous season?

But why just 2 choices? you could have continued...or a season of consolidation.....or a season pushing for the play off's....etc etc. Bottom line is, I've waited patiently and given unconditional support for a dozen years to see the team i support reach the dizzy heights of the second division again. But i rather hoped it might last longer than the one season. So my glass, no matter how hard i try to think otherwise.....is definately half empty.

We have beaten manu, beaten Birmingham, Sunderland,Preston, Southampton, WBA, Ipswich and taken Spurs to extra time in a major 1/4 Final.
Mistakes have been made and yes Wayne Gray should have been kept but if we make a couple of good signings for next season I am confident we have the players to come straight back up.
A disastrous season is the one we had 4 years ago when we finished 4 points away from going out of the League and lost more games than anyone else that season.

Too true - we have punched above our weight for a lot of the season and have had some brilliant results. On our day we have proved we can give anyone a game. It's a big jump from League One to The Championship and generally we should be proud of our efforts. I do think we could bounce back quite quickly if we drop down.

I would never abuse a player during a game.....but i will say something now,
MATT HARROLD CANT EVEN CONTROL AN EASY PASS INTO HIS FEET, honest I would be ashamed to show my face. He has the first touch of a RAPIST, yes he tries but **** me if I was playing I would try my *** off, dont mean I gonna be good, how many times does peter clarke want to hoof the ball to the opposition goalkeeper yes he good defender but give him time on the ball and their keeper in for an easy touch, darryl is one of the best shotstoppers I have ever seen but his command of the box is shocking. We have a lack of quality hence the league position......I still cant wait for plymouth though

It's also a real shame we didn't sign Macca at the start of the season as if we had I reckon we'd be in a better position to escape the drop right now - playing Hunt and subsequently Clarkey in midfield for much of the first half of the season hurt us badly.

darryl is one of the best shotstoppers I have ever seen but his command of the box is shocking.

I don't think anyone (bar wiggy) would disagree with you there, I'm sure she'll be on later given today's result.....having said that after being at fault for 2 of the 3 - and the 2nd one was embarrassing - maybe she won't!!! Yes Flavs is a great shot-stopper almost in the Roycey mould (although he remains comfortably the best keeper I've seen in 19 years for us) but Darryl's major fault is a HUGE one.

By the way there are strong rumours coming out of QPR that Roycey is desperate to return in the summer and his agent has sounded out Tilly, I'd welcome it.

Back