• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quarter Final Round 1

QF: Tie 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
First one of the last 8 and it's the big guns....

Stephen Spielberg (Fatshrimp) takes on Stanley Kubrick (Drastic S)

Start your engines gentlemen!

Wow, what a humdinger this one should be.

Your classic commercial success vs artistic merit.

Stanley Kubrick may not have made as many films (or got as many bums on seats) as SS but he made up for it in quality.

Not to mention they "sort of" collaborated on the quite frankly rubbish AI so who's fault was that!

stanley-kubrick-self-portrait.jpg

1956 The Killing. (It's non-linear storyline was an influence on QT's Reservoir Dogs)
1957 Paths To Glory. (Spielberg's favourite Kubrick film)
1960 Spartacus
1962 Lolita
1964 Dr Stangelove
1968 2001: A Space Odyssey
1971 A Clockwork Orange
1975 Barry Lyndon
1980 The Shining
1987 Full Metal Jacket
1999 Eyes Wide Shut

Every one, pure class.

Starting to fall behind now, can't say I'm suprised. Spielberg has made some excellent films (although to be honest I never got the fuss about Jaws).

I guess the key difference is Spielberg makes films to entertain, the blockbusters. Wheras for Kubrick cinema was an artform, he was a virtuoso. I don't mean that as a dig at SS, they're just different kinds of directors.

There are some truly iconic films in SK's repertoire,

2001: A Space Odyssey is exactly that, an odyssey, and considering the considerable opposition (star wars, blade runner etc) it still regularly comes near the top of best sci-fi films of all time.

A Clockwork Orange, banned for so long, is probably the finest adaptation I have ever seen and arguably Malcolm McDowell's best performance, it's imagery is still copied today.
a_clockwork_orange_large.jpg

Then there's The Shining, one of the most famed horror movies of all time, Jack Nicholson's character one of the most demented, twisted & downright scary, and the pick-axe scene has been replicated ever since too.
the_shining1.jpg

My personal favourite Kubrick film is Full Metal Jacket, an unflinching war drama that follows Private James "Joker" Davis through Marine corps training and into the Vietnam War. It often makes for uncomfortable viewing as we watch the persecution of Private Pyle by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman and then into the war itself. there's no sugar coating in the story, no glamourising, and it is superb.

full-metal-jacket-dvd.jpg

full-metal-jacket.jpg

Full%20Metal%20Jacket%20g.jpg

and of course it's the movie that gave us the famous line...
"No. Each you fifteen dollar. Me love you long time. Me so HORNY"
full-metal-jacket_stanley-kubrick_084-1.jpg

A tricky one. Spielberg was one of the Hollywod New Wave, along with Lucas, Scorcese, Milius and Coppola, but Kubrick was a one-off. Kubrick did pretty much every genre - comedy, sci-fi, horror. Spielberg is basically aliens/unknown

Got to be Stan the man

Some of the best quotes though are from this man...
full+metal+jacket.jpg

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman played by R. Lee Ermey.

Who was himself a former Drill Sergeant:
Former U.S. Marine Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was originally hired as a technical adviser and asked Kubrick if he could audition for the role of Hartman. However Kubrick, having seen his portrayal as Drill Instructor SSgt Loyce in The Boys in Company C, told him that he wasn't vicious enough to play the character. In response, Ermey made a videotape of himself improvising insulting dialogue towards a group of Royal Marines while being pelted by people off-camera with oranges and tennis balls. Ermey, in spite of the distractions, rattled off an unbroken string of insults for 15 minutes, and he did not flinch, duck, or repeat himself while the projectiles rained on him. Upon viewing it, Kubrick gave him the role, realizing that Ermey "was a genius for this part". Kubrick estimated that Ermey came up with 150 pages of insults, many of them improvised on the spot — a rarity for a Kubrick film. According to Kubrick's estimate, the former drill instructor wrote 50% of his own dialogue, especially the insults. Ermey usually needed only two to three takes per scene, another rarity for a Kubrick film. [wikipedia]

Here are some of his gems...

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training... you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war. But until that day you are pukes! You're the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human ****ing beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian ****! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard, but I am fair! There is no racial bigotry here! I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops, or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless! And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps! Do you maggots understand that?

Tonight... you pukes will sleep with your rifles! You will give your rifle a girl's name! Because this is the only pussy you people are going to get! Your days of finger-banging old Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over! You're married to this piece, this weapon of iron and wood! And you will be faithful!

Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few Marines! God has a hard-on for Marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep Heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your *** belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy ****ing walrus-looking piece of ****! Get the **** off of my obstacle! Get the **** down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked **** that high.

Argh, the end came too soon, I was making a comeback!

Nevermind, thanks to all those that voted for SK, and well done to Fatshrimp & Spielberg. :clap:

Well done DS & SK.

Think Speilberg will fall at the final hurdle but thanks for the votes.

Some of the best quotes though are from this man...
full+metal+jacket.jpg

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman played by R. Lee Ermey.

Who was himself a former Drill Sergeant:
Former U.S. Marine Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was originally hired as a technical adviser and asked Kubrick if he could audition for the role of Hartman. However Kubrick, having seen his portrayal as Drill Instructor SSgt Loyce in The Boys in Company C, told him that he wasn't vicious enough to play the character. In response, Ermey made a videotape of himself improvising insulting dialogue towards a group of Royal Marines while being pelted by people off-camera with oranges and tennis balls. Ermey, in spite of the distractions, rattled off an unbroken string of insults for 15 minutes, and he did not flinch, duck, or repeat himself while the projectiles rained on him. Upon viewing it, Kubrick gave him the role, realizing that Ermey "was a genius for this part". Kubrick estimated that Ermey came up with 150 pages of insults, many of them improvised on the spot — a rarity for a Kubrick film. According to Kubrick's estimate, the former drill instructor wrote 50% of his own dialogue, especially the insults. Ermey usually needed only two to three takes per scene, another rarity for a Kubrick film. [wikipedia]

Here are some of his gems...

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training... you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war. But until that day you are pukes! You're the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human ****ing beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian ****! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard, but I am fair! There is no racial bigotry here! I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops, or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless! And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps! Do you maggots understand that?

Tonight... you pukes will sleep with your rifles! You will give your rifle a girl's name! Because this is the only pussy you people are going to get! Your days of finger-banging old Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over! You're married to this piece, this weapon of iron and wood! And you will be faithful!

Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few Marines! God has a hard-on for Marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep Heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your *** belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy ****ing walrus-looking piece of ****! Get the **** off of my obstacle! Get the **** down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked **** that high.

All that reminds me of a mate who was in basic training at Bassingbourne while filming was taking part for Full Metal Jacket. That obstacle was Hollywood made and flimsy as you like. After they had finished with it the new recruits tackled it in full battle dress and kit. The lot of it collasped under the weight and hospitalised half the camp with everything from concussion to broken bones.

Closer than I thought it would be! Both directors made some weak films along with the great ones.

Spielberg:
AI - sooooo corny at the end. The Kubrick stuff at the start is great.
Empire of the Sun - I know I'll get abuse for this but for me it's overlong, self-indulgent and a bit corny
Hook - Eeeuuughhh!!!
The Color Purple - not a poor film but a rather sprawling effort.

Kubrick:
Eyes Wide Shut - Leery and rather shapeless.
2001 - Marvellous special effects but I don't understand the fuss about it. Over long.

But then you get E.T. (for me the best use of music in film of all time) and Schindler's List for Spielberg and Dr Strangelove and The Shining for Kubrick. Wow!

Back