• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

High floor could be amazing, low ceiling could be a flop. Classic example Bilel Mohsni. Best case scenario with those raw attributes he'd develop into a premiership player, but when we signed him there was also quite a strong possibility that he'd be Rymans Premier at best.

Low ceiling, high floor you know what you are getting.

The four we've signed have high floors as we know they are league two players - even if they don't work out here they'll find another league two club, maybe at worse a conference side and get games with them. But they probably have quite low ceilings given that they have been playing professional football for quite a few years around this level and improvement tends to tail off for most positions by that age. League One might be their absolute peak as a player and they may not reach that peak.
I think you've got that mixed up YB? Surely you mean high ceiling could be amazing, and low floor could be a flop.

I see it like this:

______________High ceiling

I think that's what the low/high ceiling/floor thing means.

High floor could be amazing, low ceiling could be a flop. Classic example Bilel Mohsni. Best case scenario with those raw attributes he'd develop into a premiership player, but when we signed him there was also quite a strong possibility that he'd be Rymans Premier at best.

The four we've signed have high floors as we know they are league two players - even if they don't work out here they'll find another league two club, maybe at worse a conference side and get games with them. But they probably have quite low ceilings given that they have been playing professional football for quite a few years around this level and improvement tends to tail off for most positions by that age. League One might be their absolute peak as a player and they may not reach that peak.

Sorry - I don't mean to be unpleasant (and I am only joking) but you are either speaking bollox or bollocks .... not quite sure which one it is .................:winking: :winking: and I am no more informed than when I asked the question! Do you watch much Sky Television by chance. :smile:

I thought you were going to say something about none of the new signings having too much height and opting for modern housing as a result .......... oh well, never mind.

Is it an open season (sorry to get off subject mods)

What does that mean? Season - one of the four periods of the year - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

"Is it an open season?" It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Yes, it is an open summer.

No, it is not an open summer.

Sorry - maybe it's me but I can make no sense of it at all.

What does that mean? Season - one of the four periods of the year - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

"Is it an open season?" It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Yes, it is an open summer.

No, it is not an open summer.

Sorry - maybe it's me but I can make no sense of it at all.
I believe the honourable person meant 'open session'.

straeker and tomlin add some much needed pace, something i think we have missed big time. The lad cresswell could be a good signing but im not sure sturrock will drop barker or phillips. Freddy coming in would be a bonus I would love sturrock to get a real clever ball playing midfielder, he let our best player (technically) in lee sawyer go which i still think is a terrible decision.

On that basis I'd say Mohsni was a bit High Ceiling, Low Floor!

Matt the Shrimper had high ceilings. In his hall it was two storeys, and his servants lived beneath the floor.

RIP.

I think you've got that mixed up YB? Surely you mean high ceiling could be amazing, and low floor could be a flop.

I see it like this:

______________High ceiling

I think that's what the low/high ceiling/floor thing means.

Yep, floor and ceiling are the wrong way round in my first sentence. That is what happens if you're trying to work and type at the same time on 4 hours sleep.

Good point someone made about having let Sawyer go ........... I would have kept him for his footballing capabilities but I am told that his off pitch attitude was not quite as required and I think Sturrock and Coughlan had enough of that last season.

Good point someone made about having let Sawyer go ........... I would have kept him for his footballing capabilities but I am told that his off pitch attitude was not quite as required and I think Sturrock and Coughlan had enough of that last season.

Sorry I've never really bought into this Sawyer footballing capabilities. Yes he has ability but apparently no application, and as you point out his off pitch attitude left a lot to be desired.

Well, we also have Woodyard waiting in the wings - I have seen him play twice - at Burton away he was substituted early as he was terrible (along with the rest of the team except for Blair Sturrock!) and then on another occasion when he was good.

So I suspect he will be looking for some more time on the pitch this season but I'm not sure that he would be in the starting line up.

straeker and tomlin add some much needed pace, something i think we have missed big time. The lad cresswell could be a good signing but im not sure sturrock will drop barker or phillips. Freddy coming in would be a bonus I would love sturrock to get a real clever ball playing midfielder, he let our best player (technically) in lee sawyer go which i still think is a terrible decision.

Whilst Im surprised we have gone for cresswell after Barker signed a new contract I cant see how he cant play. He was transfer listed at Rotherham as he wasnt going to be in the first team, Im not sure he would have come down here to sit on the bench. I think Barker may actually make way.

Well, we also have Woodyard waiting in the wings - I have seen him play twice - at Burton away he was substituted early as he was terrible (along with the rest of the team except for Blair Sturrock!) and then on another occasion when he was good.

So I suspect he will be looking for some more time on the pitch this season but I'm not sure that he would be in the starting line up.

Would expect him to go out on loan this season and decide at the end of the season (when his contract is up IIRC) if he is worth keeping or not.

Whilst Im surprised we have gone for cresswell after Barker signed a new contract I cant see how he cant play. He was transfer listed at Rotherham as he wasnt going to be in the first team, Im not sure he would have come down here to sit on the bench. I think Barker may actually make way.

Has the club captain been announced for the new season? If it goes to Phillips from Barker, that'll be a sign. Seems like all three are injury-prone though, so am sure there'll be plenty of match time for all three of them. And am more than happy with Prosser as back-up too.

Back