• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rangers going into administration bad news for the English?

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
The Scotland football team, the Scottish rugby team all repeatedly fail on the world stage. The Royal Bank of Scotland had to be bailed out by the English tax-payers, now Glasgow Rangers is in administration as the only way it could sustain itself was if it joined the English Premier League.

Presumably even the Scots aren't drunk enough to consider themselves a viable nation, so will England ever be shot of this deadweight? Discuss.

The English football team, the English rugby team all repeatedly fail on the world stage. Lloyds TSB had to be bailed out by the British tax-payers, now Portsmouth go in administration as the only way it could sustain itself was if it joined the English Premier League.

The English football team, the English rugby team all repeatedly fail on the world stage. Lloyds TSB had to be bailed out by the British tax-payers, now Portsmouth go in administration as the only way it could sustain itself was if it joined the English Premier League.

England rugby team

Current 6 Nations: 2 wins from 2
World Cup: 2011 quarter-finalists; 2007 Finalists; 2003 Winners; 1999 quarter-finalists; 1995 semi-finalists; 1991 finalists.

England football team

European Championships: qualified
World Cup: 2010 last 16; 2006 quarter-finalists; 2002 quarter-finalists; 1998 last 16; 1994 DNQ; 1990 semi-finalists; 1986 quarter-finalists.

That will be the Lloyd's TSB who own Scottish Widows and had to purchase HalifaxBank of Scotland? They were bailed out by English money in the name of Britain.

Portsmouth's equivalents in Scottish football would be someone like St Mirren. Rangers' equivalent is probably Man U, who are profitable.

It's funny how the English are so quick to downplay our success as failure, whereas if the Scots managed to achieve our failures it would be deemed as a success.

It makes statistical sense that a country with 10 times the population will be more successful at sport. I can't think of any nation as small as Scotland that has achieved any kind of success in football or Rugby (maybe excluding white South Africa).

I know you're not a rampant xenophobe YB, so I was trying to point out that all things are relative. I guess Rangers financial troubles stem from the fact that they tried to keep up with the European elite?

It makes statistical sense that a country with 10 times the population will be more successful at sport. I can't think of any nation as small as Scotland that has achieved any kind of success in football or Rugby (maybe excluding white South Africa).

I know you're not a rampant xenophobe YB, so I was trying to point out that all things are relative. I guess Rangers financial troubles stem from the fact that they tried to keep up with the European elite?

New Zealand current holders of the RU World Cup, and went home undefeated after the 2010 World Cup.

New Zealand current holders of the RU World Cup, and went home undefeated after the 2010 World Cup.

After a rather controversial decision against Wales (that other hugely populated nation :P) who beat Australia btw .

Im failing to see the logic of a badly run football team having a direct correlation to how well a country is run ? It's not state owned is it , more an example of badly managed private sector (much like RBS :P) or is that only allowed in the public sector ;-)

Just to join in the fun - Lloyds only had to be bailed out because they were forced to buy halifax bank of SCOTLAND - by a Scot (G Brown)

China? India? North Korea? Japan?

China top the Olympic/Paralympic tables.

North Korea - well they live in an insane dictatorship being starved to death.

India - cricket is a religion out there, and they're pretty decent at it.

Japan - Pretty good at Baseball, martial arts and Sumo. Their national football team has qualified for world cups.

Oh and a similar sized country: Denmark

Qualified for the European Championships six times in a row (1984–2004) and won it in 1992. Also well represented in golf, cycling, and motorsports....

Oh and a similar sized country: Denmark

Qualified for the European Championships six times in a row (1984–2004) and won it in 1992. Also well represented in golf, cycling, and motorsports....

Denmark didn't actually qualify in 1992 they were late replacements for Yugoslavia.

I think that this will be bad for football, not for the usual reasons but whatever happens to Rangers HMRC are going to get severely stuffed on how much tax they are going to get , personally I think Whyte is trying to do a Bates and reduce how much more he has to put in by taking a hit on his current debt and stuffing other creditors. One season of nothing , relegation isn't going to happen, then rebuild next year.

Another high profile rogering of HMRC by a football club and everyone else will be chased even earlier as HMRC try to make sure that the debts don't build up and we know all about zealous HMRC actions

Back