• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RAS BOL! The Yellow Vest Brigade

Everybody's against fuel tax rises.That's obvious.When my wife spoke to a good friend of hers and recounted our experience at the local moterway turn-off (where we didn't have to pay for our toll charges)my wife's friend registered her approval.That gives you a good indication of the way some French people think.I was shocked by the mindless graffitti daubed all over the unmanned toll and the sight of a lot of protesters burning tyres at the next roundabout.That gives you a good take on the Britih attitude I think.

Yes that's al very nice but why did you quote my post ?

Yes that's al very nice but why did you quote my post ?

Because my post was my contribution to your contribution to keeping this particular thread alive.

Back on topic.The French TV news this evening was full of reports of cafe/shop owners on the Champs Elysees boarding up their premises for anticipated problems on Saturday.My guess is that police tactics will be rather different for this weekend,Wouldn't want to mess with the CRS myself.

A friend and fellow union member was in Paris one time watching a protest turning into a near riot. He said to a local that he had protested in London but where were the police, as they would never allow it....The reply was "They are the police"

I was in Orleans one time and joined the Pompiers for chat about their demo. They were doing things that would see any one in Britain sacked, including using the fire engines.

The MSM are al ready calling the Brexit march in London a far right demo. They will of course film the very orchestrated trouble when the crusties in black try and block democracy and brainwash the sheeple......The French in Yellow vests aren't so stupid

Because my post was my contribution to your contribution to keeping this particular thread alive.

Back on topic.The French TV news this evening was full of reports of cafe/shop owners on the Champs Elysees boarding up their premises for anticipated problems on Saturday.My guess is that police tactics will be rather different for this weekend,Wouldn't want to mess with the CRS myself.

I think the CRS may be the least of problems for those determined to cause trouble on Saturday. Eiffel Tower being closed. Think there is a need for Macron to address the public and show firmness as well as understanding.

I think the CRS may be the least of problems for those determined to cause trouble on Saturday. Eiffel Tower being closed. Think there is a need for Macron to address the public and show firmness as well as understanding.

Not only the Eiffel tower but also the Louvre and a whole host of other musuems etc in Paris.Doubt if you'll see any public reaction from Macron before Saturday. Just hoping there won't be any trouble in the center of Toulouse ,as there was last weekend,as our older daughter is there atm with our grandson.Also that we can get on the motorway back to Spain tomorrow am. easily

Last edited:
Not only the Eiffel tower but also Le Louvre and a whole host of other musuems etc in Paris.Doubt if you'll see any public reaction from Macron before Saturday. Just hoping there won't be any trouble in the center of Toulouse ,as there was last weekend,as our older daughter it there atm with our grandson.Also that we can get on the motorway back to Spain tomorrow am. easily

Do you support the reasons they are protesting?

Or is it to much inconvenience to you personally and should be done on a suitable social media platform?

A friend and fellow union member was in Paris one time watching a protest turning into a near riot. He said to a local that he had protested in London but where were the police, as they would never allow it....The reply was "They are the police"

I was in Orleans one time and joined the Pompiers for chat about their demo. They were doing things that would see any one in Britain sacked, including using the fire engines.

The MSM are al ready calling the Brexit march in London a far right demo. They will of course film the very orchestrated trouble when the crusties in black try and block democracy and brainwash the sheeple......The French in Yellow vests aren't so stupid

And I can remember picketing at Grunwick,where we were infomed by the Police that if we took one step off the pavement and onto the street we'd be nicked. As you say, they do things differently in France,

Just beat me to it A1.

Blimey 90,000 police!! Some sheeeett is going to kick off for sure.

Can you imagine 90,000 police on the streets of Britain???

Of course not?.... We probably only have about half a dozen at best !!

Do you support the reasons they are protesting?

Or is it to much inconvenience to you personally and should be done on a suitable social media platform?

As I said,anyone can understand why people are protesting about increases in petrol duty,though even here it should be pointed out that France has the 5th highest petrol prices in Europe (after the Scandinavian countries and Italy).Macron's attempt to impose increases in diesel prices to fund an eco tax was perhaps well-intentioned but naive politically.

I would certainly support the gilet jaunes advocacy of an increase in the Smig (French minimum national wage).

Since 2008 ordinary people in France and elsewhere (including the UK) have borne the brunt of austerity cuts,rather than the bankers who caused the crash.People's anger is perfectly understandable. However,I don't think violent street protests are the solution to the crisis.We're not talking May 1968 here.

As I said,anyone can understand why people are protesting about increases in petrol duty,though even here it should be pointed out that France has the 5th highest petrol prices in Europe (after the Scandinavian countries and Italy).Macron's attempt to impose increases in diesel prices to fund an eco tax was perhaps well-intentioned but naive politically.

I would certainly support the gilet jaunes advocacy of an increase in the Smig (French minimum national wage).

Since 2008 ordinary people in France and elsewhere (including the UK) have borne the brunt of austerity cuts,rather than the bankers who caused the crash.People's anger is perfectly understandable. However,I don't think violent street protests are the solution to the crisis.We're not talking May 1968 here.
Are French fuel prices higher than ours?

Its not really about fuel prices though is it.

As a side note the whole green tax is a great con. We should and could have much greener fuels 50 years ago. Even in the 1920's they invented cars that could do 200 mpg

As a side note the whole green tax is a great con. We should and could have much greener fuels 50 years ago. Even in the 1920's they invented cars that could do 200 mpg

1.It's certainly not about fuel prices anymore since the planned increases have been shelved by Macron's government. Though that was certainly the origin of the dispute.You could say however that this was the last straw that broke the camel's back.Many people have been struggling in France (and elsewhere in the EU) for some time now.

2.Greener taxes are clearly here to stay.Even Barna is talking about being diesel free by 2040.

Take the tin foil hat off for 5 minutes will you.

The trouble is that a very small minority seem to believe in going even further than '68. I think these 'casseurs' are going to be properly confronted this weekend and for me there is a need to differentiate between those with genuine grievences, peacefully protesting and those whom are on the streets for far more sinister reasons.
Reversing the decision on tax cuts for the super rich may be a necessary action but the problem in this situation is that the people will want more and more. An increase in the SMIG, OK ........ but that will need to be paid for and is it going to help cut the high unemployment rates? I'm totally in agreement with you about the bankers who caused the crash (many IIUC are back in the same positions)...............put the bloody lot in jail, as I think they did in Iceland.
I'm not sure whether austerity has been as tough here as in the UK. For example teachers in the UK went without a pay rise for a number of years (6?). One wonders what reaction that would have brought about in France?
I've been 'emmerdé' by not being able to work in Toulouse this weekend, because of the threat from les gilets jaunes. Since the reconciliaton with my ex-wife, it no longer hurts me that much. Other brocanteurs are less fortunate and count on their fair in Toulouse to earn money before the holidays. Brocanteurs, I can assure you, are not amongst the super rich!

Not that work in a internal combustion engine, no. And certainly not in the ****ing 1920's.

Where do you get all this **** from?

I have driven cars in Brazil that run on Ethanol. Its made from sugar cane and they could certainly run cars on alcohol 100 years ago. J.D Rockefeller cornered the oil market and either bullied, bought up any competition or alternative fuel ideas. Even US presidents feared his power.

Ethanol has less harmful emissions but its claimed it adds to the lower (smog) ozone layer?

Having watched a good documentary about VW on Netflex just the other night who knows what the truth is. They even set up false scientific testing companies to con the world. The were in cahoots with Mercedes and BMW during testing. They weren't just slightly cheating, the levels were 10x what they claimed.

That's the problem with globalisation, people new it was happening and were to frightened/cowardly to speak up. Not just workers but politicians as they threaten to move plants to other EU countries if anyone spoke up.

Back