• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
So the Wee Birdie has stopped his chirpings again after two dismal performances.
I miss his Stats. and talk of 'knocking it to the right areas'.
I guess he'll wait to we have another win before he raises his beak again.
Well I think we should rattle his cage and get him airborne .
Explanations required Wee Birdie and not your normal twittering.

I guess you'll have to wait until another win until you can't find anything to post.

Cryptic. But I see where yuou coming from. But I was saying PS was a waste of space last year when we were winning. It was so boring to watch. And All you could say was that 'it gets results'. blah blah blah.

Tuesday aside, the football has generally been more entertaining this season, but the results not so good. People are entitled to have different view on this, but I prefer to win.

Cryptic. But I see where yuou coming from. But I was saying PS was a waste of space last year when we were winning. It was so boring to watch. And All you could say was that 'it gets results'. blah blah blah.

I envy OBD. He is clearly satisfied with mediocrity. What a wonderful world he must live in.

Tuesday aside, the football has generally been more entertaining this season, but the results not so good. People are entitled to have different view on this, but I prefer to win.

Same here to be honest. Were we top of the league this time last year? Still, I prefered last season to this season so far. Hopefully things will improve though. I still have faith :unsure:

I envy OBD. He is clearly satisfied with mediocrity. What a wonderful world he must live in.

Mediocrity? Below lg 2 there are seven levels of non-league football made up of over fifty leagues, many of whom have more than one division. Although as a club we aspire to climb higher up the pyramid, lg 2 is not mediocrity and many people should be more grateful to have a club as prominently placed as ours.

Mediocrity? Below lg 2 there are seven levels of non-league football made up of over fifty leagues, many of whom have more than one division. Although as a club we aspire to climb higher up the pyramid, lg 2 is not mediocrity and many people should be more grateful to have a club as prominently placed as ours.

It's all about context. Of your 50 plus leagues, 99% are not professional clubs and most are watched by crowds measured in tens not thousands.

I beg to differ with this view - Southend is one of the largest urban areas in the South East, harbouring a Club with genuine potential to replicate the phenomenal rise in fortunes displayed by Clubs such as Swansea and Reading.

To persist with this attitude that we should be thankful for having a Club at League 2 level is frankly ludicrous - people need to have a little more ambition and vision. It is bad enough that we tucked ourselves up when we should have stayed up in the Championship season, and kicked on with a very decent set of players - instead we have replicated the fall from grace under Little, Martin and Wignall...our crowds and the general feeling of malaise amongst supporters is also starting to reflect this god-forsaken period in our recent history, and I for one am not enjoying my time at Roots Hall in any way, shape or form at present.

It's all about context. Of your 50 plus leagues, 99% are not professional clubs and most are watched by crowds measured in tens not thousands.

You are entirely right and by and large many of the clubs in the leagues we are aiming for are supported by many more thousands of supporters than we are. So it is all relative. My point is we are a league club and should be grateful for that and the standard of football that we so often slate our team for is by no means the worst in the land or the worst in our league.

Yep. That's exactly it. Yawn. You are more boring than Tuesday's first half.

I tell you what, if you aren't used to mediocrity yet, I'd go and find another club to support. Because that's what we have got to deal with.

I beg to differ with this view - Southend is one of the largest urban areas in the South East, harbouring a Club with genuine potential to replicate the phenomenal rise in fortunes displayed by Clubs such as Swansea and Reading.

To persist with this attitude that we should be thankful for having a Club at League 2 level is frankly ludicrous - people need to have a little more ambition and vision. It is bad enough that we tucked ourselves up when we should have stayed up in the Championship season, and kicked on with a very decent set of players - instead we have replicated the fall from grace under Little, Martin and Wignall...our crowds and the general feeling of malaise amongst supporters is also starting to reflect this god-forsaken period in our recent history, and I for one am not enjoying my time at Roots Hall in any way, shape or form at present.

Add to that list.....

Hull
Middlesborough
Watford
Blackpool
Cardiff

Just to go against the grain I am enjoying the football more this season than last.

Funnily enough when we were top last year and playing dull football there were a lot of people on here saying they would rather lose and play more attractive football.

Well we have been playing more attractive football and theres outrage, so guess that theory goes out of the window :smile:

Im disappointed in our league position and think we should be in the top 7 but, Tuesday aside, Im enjoying games more than I did last year. Just need to find some consistency.

We all have the ambition and vision but the end result is not yet on the table. Looking forward and wanting success does not mean we have to be ungrateful for what we have. We have a large urban area as you state but it comprises of non football lovers, fairweather fans, fickle fans, disillusioned fans and fans of other clubs. The number that will convert to us is dependent on the clubs success tempered by the individuals expectations.

We have a hardcore support that numbers well in relation to many clubs at our level but not high enough to generate revenue streams that 'buy' footballing success.

If you are so sure there are so many supporters out there then tell them to come to games and help to pay for our future success and not expect it to be bankrolled on their behalf.

Just to go against the grain I am enjoying the football more this season than last.

Funnily enough when we were top last year and playing dull football there were a lot of people on here saying they would rather lose and play more attractive football.

Well we have been playing more attractive football and theres outrage, so guess that theory goes out of the window :smile:

Im disappointed in our league position and think we should be in the top 7 but, Tuesday aside, Im enjoying games more than I did last year. Just need to find some consistency.

I'm not certain I would have classified the football against Burton, Barnet and Aldershot at home as having been 'attractive'

So your desire to get rid of PS isn't motivated by results. What is it then, personal?

In truth a bit , yes.
But last year as Jam man points out we got lots of points and the football was horrible. PS may have tried to play a bit more football this year and it does not work. Does this mean in reality he does not have the managerial skills to play good football. He knows only one way, hump it long and hope for the best. So we play football and lose. What does he do now?

In truth a bit , yes.
But last year as Jam man points out we got lots of points and the football was horrible. PS may have tried to play a bit more football this year and it does not work. Does this mean in reality he does not have the managerial skills to play good football. He knows only one way, hump it long and hope for the best. So we play football and lose. What does he do now?

I'm sure "hoping for the best" has helped him become the very successful lower league manager he is today :facepalm:.

This has been discussed before, but I wonder how many of the players we have signed this season were players he wanted, so maybe he has been asked/forced from higher up to play this style of football.

IMO we are generally trying to play better football with a smaller , and probably overall , weaker squad that last season.
If I were Sturrock , I would carry on doing what I'm paid for ( no jokes please about not being paid - done to death now ) and not responding to every criticism on this forum.

Last edited:
I'm sure "hoping for the best" has helped him become the very successful lower league manager he is today :facepalm:.

This has been discussed before, but I wonder how many of the players we have signed this season were players he wanted, so maybe he has been asked/forced from higher up to play this style of football.

Lower league. All great managers spend their time in the lowere leagues :unsure:

Back