• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What did you Bradford fans think of the game last night?? I got home at 3 with some stops and now at work and in shattered but what an amazing win. You played well but just didnt put your chances away, thats what i thought. What was the own goal like? Didnt really see it from the other end? What did you think of Southend's team?? Lovely ground, just a shame that it wasnt fill. I bet it's very intimidating when packed... You were very loud though!!

Thoughts??

As a spectacle I thought it was an entertaining game. Bradford played some lovely football at times which was very encouraging, but like you say we didn't take our chances.

Having said that we only really had 3 good oppotunities, I thought Southend were brilliant in defence. You looked like a well knit unit and played some intellegent balls causing problems for our defenders.

If you can keep that level of commitment up then Southend wont struggle this season.

There must be something wrong with me today, normally after a defeat I'm a miserable little bugger but I'm still feeling confident about this season. We passed the ball extremely well, and at times it was like watching a higher standard of football. Just need to be more clinical in front of goal when chances come our way.

Hope you had a safe journey home and enjpyed the visit to Bradford.

Quoted from this message

Cheers, thanks. Gotta say you did play well and was quite good to watch, did think that you lost it in Midfield a bit though! Our defence tho, is very good, just need to put a few more goals away and we will be fine. Thanks very much, im sure you will be great this season. Tim

MORE FROM THE FANS!!!

Firstly I would just like to say well done to Southend. You defended brilliantly and will certainly cause quite a few teams problems this season if you keep that level of commitment up.

As for Bradford, well although I am dissapointed in the result I walked away from that game in quite high spirits!!

I was at the ticket office after the game and one guy in the que jokingly said, "are we here for a refund on our season tickets?". I had a chuckle but then said I felt we played well and passed the ball round superbly at times. Naturally I would expect a negative response from Bradford fans but I was dumb founded by their positive respone, they all agreed!!!!

Credit must go to Southend, they defended well, didn't sit back too deep and used the counter attck to good effect. They, of course, scored their second goal from a counter attck which was well taken. Can't really have a go at the team for pressing forward in search of an equaliser, we were well on top at that stage in the game with 10 men.

Their second goal probably killed us off a little but there were some encouraging signs for me. I certainly didn't expect to go undefeated this season but it's just a shame the unbeaten run couldn't go on that little bit longer.

A little bit more care in front of goal, cut out those silly defensive errors and we will do well. As for Holloway, a poor challenge but not sure about the straight red.

Message 2 - posted by Naidah, Just Now

The first 2 games of the season seems to epitomise last years form. Do well away, then throw it away at home. It is too early to say if this is a sign of things to come, but Tim and Sticks were quite optimistic on the radio last night. Need to put things right on Sat.

Well played Southend - I was very very disapointed - after posting before the game that I thought Bradford would win - I really thought we would, and Im more of a pesamistic supporter, now I am eating my words and they dont taste very nice.

I thought Bradford played some excellent football. Lots of passing and some great movements on and off the ball. But Southend defended well and limited our chances. I felt like we had lost the game after we had Holloway sent off. A little harsh to say the least. That ref is terrible. He sent off Jason Gavin the last time he reffed us. That was against Forest. He also booked 8 and sent off 1 in the Wolves Southampton match last week ! Anyway....

...back to Southend....not only did you defend well, but you seem to have a strike problem. Freddie Eastwood is your usual striker, isnt he? But Wayne Gray looks very very handy too. And with Shaun Goater to come back who will be dropped.

Well done anyway and glad you enjoyed it. Pity it was at our expense.

It's great to see opposing fans gracious in defeat - and no evidence of any expletives either!
wink.gif

Contrary to what I'd heard from a few people, including some West Ham fans who went there when the were first relegated, I thought the Bradford fans were gracious and quite friendly - several wished us well for the rest of the season as we walked past dozens of them on the way to the car (which survived intact despite being parked right outside the home end!) and the ones we met in the pub beforehand were ok as well.

Thought the Bradford fans were very good. Spoke to a couple and they were very friendly. Whatever and Shrimp on the wing - didn't see you guys, did you make it to the hotel?

Yeah, we did but didn't see any other shrimpers in there, it seemed to be full of Bradford fans!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Aug. 10 2005,12:36)]Thought the Bradford fans were very good.  Spoke to a couple and they were very friendly.  Whatever and Shrimp on the wing - didn't see you guys, did you make it to the hotel?
Where did you guys get to??

What a disappointing game.

Firstly i would like to give credit to the Southend supporters and players. Their fans didnt stop singing and they brought a fair few. I thought they played very well (their team), and had some very good players. I thought Guttridge and their number 8 were very good, and Gray and Eastwood caused us problems all night.

I do believe however, we would have got something from the game had Holloway not have got sent off. I thought he deserved to be but a lot of people have said it was a yellow at most.

Taylor and Petta had good games, and i thought Schumacher and Bridge-Wilkinson tried really hard. I thought Bower had a poor game, and i wasnt too impressed with Stewart.

Todd didnt do us many favours taking Cooke off at half time, in my opinion.

And one last thing, i'm not going to moan about the referee. I didnt think he did too bad.

Well played Southend and good luck with the rest of your season. You will definetly stay up, maybe push for the playoffs if you dont pick up many injuries

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 10 2005,12:46)]Firstly i would like to give credit to the Southend supporters and players. Their fans didnt stop singing and they brought a fair few. I thought they played very well (their team), and had some very good players. I thought Guttridge and their number 8 were very good, and Gray and Eastwood caused us problems all night.
QUALITY!!

We outsung the Bradford, We outsung the Bradford, lalalala!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 10 2005,12:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Aug. 10 2005,12:36)]Thought the Bradford fans were very good.  Spoke to a couple and they were very friendly.  Whatever and Shrimp on the wing - didn't see you guys, did you make it to the hotel?
Where did you guys get to??
Went to Yates in town and then walked to the Carlton Hotel at the end of the road near the ground. Very cheap. Where did you guys go?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 10 2005,12:46)]Firstly i would like to give credit to the Southend supporters and players. Their fans didnt stop singing and they brought a fair few. I thought they played very well (their team), and had some very good players. I thought Guttridge and their number 8 were very good, and Gray and Eastwood caused us problems all night.
Quality, we out sung the Bradford, We outsung the Bradford, LALALALA!!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Did they actually do any singing though? I think I heard them once or twice in the entire game!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 10 2005,12:46)]I thought Guttridge and their number 8 were very good, and Gray and Eastwood caused us problems all night.
Number 8? Maher I believe. It's amazing how many times he gets picked out by the opposition as being one of our bests players.

Thanfully we all know he's rubbish.  
rock.gif

Maher was excellent last night, Man Of The Match IMO. Controlled the midfield area and his distribution was spot on - if we are to compete in this division Maher is going to be a key player for us.

Maher and the word rubbish haven't gone together since his first season with us. He is a player of extreme quality. Watch how many times he gives the balls away - hardly ever.
So many of his passes are responsible for our goals. Just wish he would have a shot himself every now and again. Sometimes seems to get into a great shooting position and looks for someone to pass to.
Overall, outstanding season after season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ Aug. 10 2005,14:09)]Maher and the word rubbish haven't gone together since his first season with us. He is a player of extreme quality. Watch how many times he gives the balls away - hardly ever.
So many of his passes are responsible for our goals. Just wish he would have a shot himself every now and again. Sometimes seems to get into a great shooting position and looks for someone to pass to.
Here here... and there there
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 10 2005,14:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ Aug. 10 2005,14:09)]Maher and the word rubbish haven't gone together since his first season with us. He is a player of extreme quality. Watch how many times he gives the balls away - hardly ever.
Here here... and there there  
wink.gif
Couldn't agree more. It would be nice though if he did chip in with a few goals but guess thats just the player he is.

Back