• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
A wee birdie told me the gaffer was surprised to hear that supporters would think that he and tara would put this club back in financial problems. Yes we are tottering at the cap limit and as has been the norm for many months were not as you would say financially secure like most clubs.This will not be helped by lack of home games in next two months but tara has kept this clubs head above water and the gaffer feels he should be congratulated on his running of a tight ship and he believes he will keep us going in right direction.The gaffer is also surprised how fans tag his style of play as hoofball rather than direct play using our strikers as playmakers. His job is to revamp southend united from top to bottom and promote the club and that his main aim is winning football games he was surprised fans would rather draw 3-3 than win 1-0 and that they have boyctted games in protest.A fan should support his team through thick and thin but if he cant hope he enjoyed shopping with the wife. Lets get behind your team and back the boys wether bad or good..

Very well said indeed.

Yes the football hasn't been great at times. But we're 2nd in the table, 1 point behind Creepy. We have brought in 3 players since the window has opened. Perhaps a 4th today and maybe more to follow...

No talk of unpaid bills, player unrest at all.
Both Paul and Tara deserve high praise indeed. :clap:

Last edited:
I dont think that many peeps are boycotting games due to style of play etc just picking and choosing matches, recession blah blah blah and all that. I am a go whatever supporter tbh, i have never thought of going to footy as an entertainment thing, I have been going to most home games since 1982 and have seen fa worse teams/styles/players/lazy ***** in those years. I can only thank paul sturrock for delivering RESULTS and giving me a very enjoyable season so far, anyone wishing to moan should take a quick look at the table then get back to me

Completely agree with everything you have said Cluniemore. Also can you pass on condolences to Tara after the death of his beloved Grand Mother this week. A lovely lady who was so proud of Tara .

The alleged boycott consists of about 10 idiots, it's got more to do with people being unable to afford £20 a game, I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
Secondly the complaints that we should have won by more than 3 goals are from people who don't want to see keepball because they think we are Barcelona for some reason, as for the hoofball, I don't think it is hoofball, but when things aren't going our way it can quickly degrade into that, but whatever gets us out of league 2 is good for me!
Last of all can you really blame us for being concerned about our finances? At one point we feared our club would be out of existence by the end of the week, I'm sure that our finances are fine, but there's always going to be that lingering doubt in our minds, I don't think many are actually saying we shouldn't be getting in new players, they are just scared history is repeating itself.

his main aim is winning football games he was surprised fans would rather draw 3-3 than win 1-0 and that they have boyctted games in protest.A fan should support his team through thick and thin but if he cant hope he enjoyed shopping with the wife. Lets get behind your team and back the boys wether bad or good..

Winning football matches keeps me very happy :smile:

I think it really shows how much we have progressed when we were all gutted to only get a draw from the Daggers game! Not so long ago we would have glad for the draw.

My fullest support for Tara and Paul also

UTB

Don't be surprised at some of the topics Cluniemore, when you've been viewing this site for a number of years, nothing will surprise you. Everyone has an opinion but that doesn't necessarily mean that the majority agree with it. You often need a skin like an elephant.

Ignore them Luggy. It must be so frustrating and annoying to see people moaning as we sit a point off the leaders and with a great record.

These people have short memories. Keep doing what you're doing and hopefully you will be leading us up League 1 next season and we get bigger gates etc. I'm sure most of us are well pleased and very grateful for the work you and Tara are doing.

For what it is worth, I offer my opinion. Direct play, using the strikers as playmakers, is a fair tactic taking into account the division and level of players ability. However, it is only direct play when the long ball pumped forward arrives in the vicinity of the strikers by design. It is hoofball when the ball is banged long in a hit and hope manner and when it all too often fails to arrive at the strikers or into space awaiting a forward running player. I applaud the team and manager for being second in the division and thank Tara and RM for doing their bit. I will however reserve the right to label much of the play as hoofball until more oft than not I can see the pass/clearance was aimed at the strikers and in the majority arrived with them.

I am pleased to see a few new faces to freshen us up for the promotion push and sure TB & PS are astute enough not to take any unnecessary financial risks.

AS for the so called boycott, I believe that there are maybe just a handful of 'supporters' who are blaming smaller crowds on the style of play rather than taking other factors into account such as post Christmas empty wallets, lower number of away fans etc.

I am happy to keep the faith at least until the end of season. If we then find that we will face another season in this God forsaken basement league I may well lose some of that faith!

Meanwhile hats off to our manager and Chief Exec, keep up the good work.

Well despite some pouring scorn on my other thread and claiming it would never be answered it has !

Thank you cluniemore for your thread answering some of my concerns.

I don't think you will ever fully understand the extent of the mismanagement by our chairman in the past, if you are telling me he is keeping his nose well and truly out of things these days and TB is doing a good job I have to take your word for that.

A word of wisdom from a true fan who recognises you have done a good job so far (despite the hoofball :smile:), do not take your eye off the ball when it comes to the off field management side of things, all the good work can be undone very quickly as your predecessor knows only too well.

Agree with all the comments so far.

I think the tactics Luggy has used so far are unarguably successful given our league position and unbeaten run (no matter how attractive they may be), but I also agree that teams have now worked out how to play against us (as well commented on elswhere) and we have suffered as a result. So, what do we do - persist with a style of play whose effectiveness may well have run its course? Nope, we look to have brought in new signings who look like they'll like the ball played on the floor which may be the trigger for a re-vamp of tactics meaning teams will have to learn to play against us all over again.

Great season so far, long may it continue! UTB

Much respect and thanks to you guys, Paul and Tara, our club was certainly struggling before you two came along. Amazing what's been achieved in 18 months.

being a sad git i looked through the stats of the 04-05 season i.e. similar situation. comparing to the same period we are now - we are higher in the league, scored more goals, conceded less goals and the average home crowd is about 800ish more. i don't see what more we could be could be doing at the moment - oh we've only lost once in the past 8 games at home and once in the last 6 away. before you say i need to get out more, just been aranging our next dungeons and dragons session - lol - honest
up the blues

And by rights (Aldersh*t) we should already be on 52 points from 25 games & top of the league.

I've seen prettier football, but League 2 is rarely pretty & I prefer SUFC to play effective football. Scoring goals is never dull.

Well done Paul, Graham and Tara - keep it going please.

Back