• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

greyerfox

First XI
If anyone else was lucky enough to receive this book as a Christmas present then they will probably be enthusing about it too. Written by sportswriter Michael Calvin it is about football scouts and player recruitment. An engrossing read, it compares how scouting has progressed in some clubs so that sophisticated software is in use to analyse a transfer target.But the book also deals with the human side of scouting and recruitment. I don't want to spoil the enjoyment but there are interesting bits about our skipper and Bob Shaw. Dean Austin figures too. But what really grabbed my attention was chapter 8 which opens with a glowing tribute to The Fish House, 150 yards from the Hall. What follows is about a match two seasons ago when we won 4-0. Yes, really! The player being scouted had a mare.

A great read for 9 quid. Enjoy.

If anyone else was lucky enough to receive this book as a Christmas present then they will probably be enthusing about it too. Written by sportswriter Michael Calvin it is about football scouts and player recruitment. An engrossing read, it compares how scouting has progressed in some clubs so that sophisticated software is in use to analyse a transfer target.But the book also deals with the human side of scouting and recruitment. I don't want to spoil the enjoyment but there are interesting bits about our skipper and Bob Shaw. Dean Austin figures too. But what really grabbed my attention was chapter 8 which opens with a glowing tribute to The Fish House, 150 yards from the Hall. What follows is about a match two seasons ago when we won 4-0. Yes, really! The player being scouted had a mare.

A great read for 9 quid. Enjoy.

Must of been Cheltenham at home and the player being scouted must of been their worst player, Jack Butland, now at Stoke! He was terrible that night!

I got this for Christmas, and am just about to start chapter 8.

Has been a fantastic read so far.

I got this book as a birthday present a couple of months ago and have nearly finished reading it.

Excellent read. If you are too tight to buy it then borrow it from your local library, I know my local library in Billericay has a copy on its shelves.

Without breaching Bearded Shrimper's injunction, I hope, one thing that does emerge from the book is the question why no League club has given Dean Austin a chance as a manager. He appears to have all the credentials. Justin Edinburgh has achieved it, admittedly by managing a Conference club which was promoted. Wonder if Austin was considered when Tilly was dismissed?

Just bought it in waterstones, looking forward to getting stuck in.

Without breaching Bearded Shrimper's injunction, I hope, one thing that does emerge from the book is the question why no League club has given Dean Austin a chance as a manager. He appears to have all the credentials. Justin Edinburgh has achieved it, admittedly by managing a Conference club which was promoted. Wonder if Austin was considered when Tilly was dismissed?

wasn't Austin really highly regarded for a while?
who was that bloke we had from Hartlepool for a month or two then got taken back up north? West or something? wasn't he highly thought of and another who disappeared without trace?

Downloaded this last night after reading this thread. Read the 1st chapter, seems like a good read. Saving it for my hols now.

Back