• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Record Store Day - Saturday 21 April

GrumpyBlue

Director⭐⭐
As we have no game on Saturday no excuse for all you guys and gals to not go down to your local independent record store and buy some vinyl (or CDs) and see what special offers are on offer (I will be at my local store Jam in Falmouth - if I was in SOS would be going to the great Fives in Leigh)

Keep real music alive - not downloads and the like :soapbox:

Old mans rant over :winking:

The only record shops near me are for all that techno-modern stuff, and I doubt they'd sell any early swinging jazz :winking:

So I'll think I'll pass.

This is a nice idea but the releases are too limited and you have to be able to get to a store early on that one day - I've already been trying to negotiate with a store in Whitstable as thats where I'll be on that day. Real winner is ebay as thats where the stock will be changing hands at x the orginal price. Anyone partacking feel free to fleece me for the Arcade Fire and Animal Collective releases early next week!

In the late 80s spent half the weekend in Fives / Golden Disc and Gumbies (forget the spelling).

Like the BB twins above Im purely digital these days. Havent had a turntable in about 15 years...

In the late 80s spent half the weekend in Fives / Golden Disc and Gumbies (forget the spelling).

Like the BB twins above Im purely digital these days. Havent had a turntable in about 15 years...

BLUEBLOOD twinned with Barna ??

:scared:
I'm not digital (yet)though.RU?:unsure:I do order all my music through Amazon but on cd format.:computer::cricko:

Perhaps we are twins after all? :high five:

I'm struggling to come to terms with the 20th Century, let alone the 21st :dizzy:

I buy CDs and DVDs (not vinyl or Blu-Rays) and don't download anything, if i buy something i want to be able to grasp it not just know its there

I'm not digital (yet)though.RU?:unsure:I do order all my music through Amazon but on cd format.:computer::cricko:

Perhaps we are twins after all? :high five:

CDs are digital :)

I'm struggling to come to terms with the 20th Century, let alone the 21st :dizzy:

I buy CDs and DVDs (not vinyl or Blu-Rays) and don't download anything, if i buy something i want to be able to grasp it not just know its there

I understand that viewpoint. I do download most music these days as I only really buy the odd song and rarely a whole album

When a band I like (generally will be a band around since before the mid-90s!) releases a new album I do generally buy the CD as I too like having a collection, rather than a list on a computer screen.

Get yourself down to Adrians in Wickford. I worked there in the 80's and it was paradise on earth. Vinyl's everywhere and a lovely rareties section. Loved those days so much

CD's downloads etc are good but theres no better sound than a Vinyl playing on a quality sound system. Not talking your run of the mill kit but a nice Linn Sondek turntable or a Rega with a decent stylus married to a NAD or Rega Amp with some Linn or Wilson Audio speakers......A sound that can never be replicated on CD.

Vinyl rules

Vinyl is dead,downloads dont jump or warp or scratch(unless being scratched by a chappy scratching),downloads are cheap and better for the enviroment(as if i give a feck) and you cant carry 10,000 records in your pocket can you but fair play to all you oldies keeping the old ways alive fot the kids to learn.

As much as I loved visiting record shops in the past I think they and book shops are a thing of the past and that's only sad for nostalgic reasons, not practical ones.

Young bands and artists can get their music out via the net easier and quicker than they ever could, largely bypassing record labels and using social media to get a following. Also the fact is to the next generation of music buyers (my kids for example) CDs will be as ancient and irrelevant as 78rpms were to mine (I'd seen them, my Grandad had some, but they were already obselete by the time I understood what they were).

Things change, the practical benefits of download and digital files outweighs that of the old way and apart from for a few hobbyists physical formats are all but dead.

As much as I loved visiting record shops in the past I think they and book shops are a thing of the past and that's only sad for nostalgic reasons, not practical ones.

Young bands and artists can get their music out via the net easier and quicker than they ever could, largely bypassing record labels and using social media to get a following. Also the fact is to the next generation of music buyers (my kids for example) CDs will be as ancient and irrelevant as 78rpms were to mine (I'd seen them, my Grandad had some, but they were already obselete by the time I understood what they were).

Things change, the practical benefits of download and digital files outweighs that of the old way and apart from for a few hobbyists physical formats are all but dead.

Vinyl is certainly dead and only for enthsiasts now.
CDs still going, but in their death throes now.

DVDs and Blu Ray are the next to be put to the sword. Obviously as happened with music downloads will kill them, it needs a legitimate avenue to really do it like itunes did for music. With the online movie services thats a start, although you dont even get to keep the film.

Im a little old fashioned when it comes to books, I love my kindle and do put lots of books on it, but I also buy the book as well. I prefer reading at home with a real book and use the kindle for convenience on trains etc. I do like a nice bookcase full of books as well, lets face it if I got rid of all my books and put my kindle there it would look a bit ****.

Im a little old fashioned when it comes to books, I love my kindle and do put lots of books on it, but I also buy the book as well. I prefer reading at home with a real book and use the kindle for convenience on trains etc. I do like a nice bookcase full of books as well, lets face it if I got rid of all my books and put my kindle there it would look a bit ****.

Agree, but fact is the next generation coming through won't think like that and book stores will go the same way as record stores.

Vinyl is certainly dead and only for enthsiasts now.
CDs still going, but in their death throes now.
As someone who runs a music distro company I can assure you that neither format is dead, nor about to die. We saw a significant drop in turnover around 2002/3 when filesharing really took off, but it levelled off after a few years and is now back on the rise. Dance and indie record labels still support vinyl and their followers still buy it, and more '60s/'70s stuff is being reissued on vinyl than ever before. Things like Record Store Day are making a huge difference. It's not all doom and gloom, and not everyone is totally deserting physical formats in favour of digital. In fact most people I know consume music as I do; they have a big digital library and an iPod for convenience, but they still buy lots of records and CDs because they want a physical product.

Also, a friend of mine works at Rega and he says they can hardly keep up with the demand for their products.

As someone who runs a music distro company I can assure you that neither format is dead, nor about to die. We saw a significant drop in turnover around 2002/3 when filesharing really took off, but it levelled off after a few years and is now back on the rise. Dance and indie record labels still support vinyl and their followers still buy it, and more '60s/'70s stuff is being reissued on vinyl than ever before. Things like Record Store Day are making a huge difference. It's not all doom and gloom, and not everyone is totally deserting physical formats in favour of digital. In fact most people I know consume music as I do; they have a big digital library and an iPod for convenience, but they still buy lots of records and CDs because they want a physical product.

Also, a friend of mine works at Rega and he says they can hardly keep up with the demand for their products.

The demographics are against it though. My kids won't buy CDs, my 6 year old already downloads from iTunes and her natural reaction when she likes a song is to log online not to go to a physical shop. That's probably true for kids up to 16.

Back